Need Help! Looking for small desktop 3 Axis CNC with Tool Changer

Thread: Looking for small desktop 3 Axis CNC with Tool Changer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for small desktop 3 Axis CNC with Tool Changer

Hello CNC Zone

I have to say it has been a while since I have been on here the growth is insane, I hope this ends up in the right spot.

I am looking to pick up a small desktop 3 Axis machine, the big issue is a need a tool changer with a minimum of 4 pockets.

I am looking at the Stepcraft-2/600 Black Edition (See link Below) but I am curious if there are any other versions or competitors to this brand?
    https://stepcraft.us/product/stepcra...k-edition-kit/

I am not looking for the machine to be the hobby so I want something pre-built and stable.
    Max 1/4" tooling shank diameter is plenty
    Travel X, Y minimum 10" x 10" and as much Z as possible, can never have to much Z clearance.

From what I can find the tool changer is the limiter so that is where I am starting from and working backwards. I do not have a preference to software, controller, country of origin just needs to be compact have a tool changer and be a stable machine.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for small desktop 3 Axis CNC with Tool Changer

The smallest tool changer spindle Ive seen about $2000. Look on ebay. This will be too big for that stepcraft!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for small desktop 3 Axis CNC with Tool Changer-tool-changer-spindle-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 01-18-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It isn't included in that router's $2999 router price, but Stepcraft does have an $899 tool changer for the Kress 800 FME spindle that comes with the router:

https://stepcraft.us/product/automat...-800w-spindle/

The ER11 tool holders are $59.99 each:

https://stepcraft.us/product/tool-ho...er-er11-style/

I thought that seemed pricey but perhaps compared to a $2000 spindle plus a VFD it isn't so bad.

I would think a small desktop CNC router with an ATC is a very small niche. An ATC implies a need for automation which usually implies turning out parts faster. On a bigger machine you can turn out more parts per run. What is your use case to want the ATC on such a small machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't thought about ebay I will keep an eye on that for anything that pops up.

I was looking at the Kress spindle but I can't find any information on what an SK15 tool holder is, looks link an infant version of a cat40.

I have a few ideas in mind and a tool changer is a must. I use large commercial grade machines every day for work and life with out a tool changer just doesn't seem possible. I want to be able to cut a pocket and chamfer the edges in one go.

I am stuck with going smaller because I will need to fit this in to my residence and space is at a premium and I max out at 110 volts available to use.

I like the look of the Stepcraft but I was hoping there would be a comparable somewhere to contrast against.