Anyone Looked at the Gryphon?

Thread: Anyone Looked at the Gryphon?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone Looked at the Gryphon?

This seems like a great machine/ system.
    Powerful steppers, and good control system (from my research anyway) and really good/ strong mechanical build.
    I like the versatility of duel "Y" motors such that you could do Plasma cutting if you wanted to and portability that would allow you to set-up anywhere.

I'd like to know if anyone has one or your opinion of what you see at their website.
    Affordable quality CNC machines - Gryphon CNC
    Alex

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Looked at the Gryphon?

First time I've ever heard of it.

Powerful steppers
    They need to use bigger motors due to the direct drive rack and pinion. Not the best way to drive a machine.

really good/ strong mechanical build.
    V-Rollers are not the most rigid motion system. Even less so when the rollers are plastic.
    The fact that the standard spindle is a dremel tells you that it's a very lightweight machine.

A high quality machine with good components is going to cost money. When your goal is to offer the cheapest machine possible, then corners have to be cut.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The fact that the standard spindle is a dremel tells you that it's a very lightweight machine.

A high quality machine with good components is going to cost money. When your goal is to offer the cheapest machine possible, then corners have to be cut.
    They do offer mounts for full size routers and their video shows the machine 'hogging' out so fairly substantial cuts.

I've read this quote before from you, Gerry. Guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Just trying to get started without spending my kids inheritance.
    Thanks for your input. Your comments are always useful and worth reading.
    Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

It all depends on your expectations.
    Some people will be thrilled with it. Others, not so much.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very True!
    Alex

Downloads
    Uploads

For what's essentially a fairly flimsy system with what I would consider dubious components, it seems very expensive?

If it was maybe half the cost, that might be more realistic given the construction IMHO, (and it is just my opinion).

I would think for the money or possibly a little more you could build a far better system that will handle a more appropriate load and use.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been trying to get a hold of this company for about a month. They are only a few minutes away from my house and I wanted to actually see the machines in work.

After doing some research I found that Gryphon CNC may be associated with CNCMogul. I've heard nothing but horror stories from people that were very pissed off and "don't buy" stories from people that bought the CNCMogul machine had good things to say at first but nothing nice to say after they put a few (50+ hours) of usage on it.

Does anyone have anything to say about Gryphon CNC first hand?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmmurphy View Post
    I've been trying to get a hold of this company for about a month. They are only a few minutes away from my house and I wanted to actually see the machines in work.

After doing some research I found that Gryphon CNC may be associated with CNCMogul. I've heard nothing but horror stories from people that were very pissed off and "don't buy" stories from people that bought the CNCMogul machine had good things to say at first but nothing nice to say after they put a few (50+ hours) of usage on it.

Does anyone have anything to say about Gryphon CNC first hand?

I have! I just posted a review of it after running over a thousand hours on it. I needed a production machine and this was in my price point. Actually, under my price point which was nice. It's a short review if you have specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Oh, and they aren't the same company, they use a lot of the same parts so I think the two companies work together but I will say that I think that CNC Mogul refined their product a bunch and because of some of the issues got a pretty bad rep. However I will say that what I got from Gryphon was just fine and I haven't had any of those issues or any others.

Here's the review:

Downloads
    Uploads

about a couple weeks ago someone called from next town asking about what could be wrong with his router..
    he told me today he purchased from gryphon the router..

gerry I think youre right..
    this customer was a thrillseeker :-)

we will see what coming up

the driver looks like the leadshine compact driver similar to gecko540

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m trying to decide if I’m happy with mine. I have beat the crap out of it for about 3 months running about 12 hours a day. I now need to replace all the rollers, all the stepper gears, and the z rack. 3d carving 4 x 8 sheets of foam at 600ipm apparently is too much. If anyone has a source for all the parts I’d be grateful.