Feed and Speed help with Ipe (Ironwood)

Thread: Feed and Speed help with Ipe (Ironwood)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Feed and Speed help with Ipe (Ironwood)

Hello all, noob here. I have my machine all set up and cutting well, and precise. What I'm looking for help with is cutting Ipe. I must assume, due to it's density/strength, that feeds and speeds need to be adjusted, more toward those of aluminum. If anyone has experience cutting Ipe, and has a good guideline for me, it'd be greatly appreciated!!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Feed and Speed help with Ipe (Ironwood)

I find it hard to believe no one has cut Ipe? Perhaps your feed / speed info is proprietary............

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't cut ipe but I have cut woods of the similar hardness. With a 1/4 inch carbide bit try 12-18000 rpm and 30-90 ipm. 1/8 inch depth per pass. Leave about .01 inches for a full depth finish pass at the lower ipm range. Depending on the machine you may need faster or slower. You might also need a different step down. It's really hard to say without knowing what machine your using. Also what tool and what are you cutting 2d or 3d.

Ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ben.. I'm cutting 2d with the IndustrialCNC 4x4 machine. I have all Amana bits. I'm told I should use a 2 flute upcut bit?

Downloads
    Uploads

Upcut bits won't burn as much but these harder woods can chip because of it. I prefer downcut or compression bits. The burning is why I recommend lower spindle speeds with fairly aggressive feeds. You'll know if it's a problem because the bit will have dark residue burned on towards the tip. Adjust your feeds and speeds until you see the least amount of burned residue you can achieve. Usually with really hard woods it's almost impossible to eliminate it completely. Scotchbrite the residue off after use and it should help in future use.

Ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would try compression bit around 18K RPM and just over 100 IPM at 1/2 pass. Faster for less depth.

Equipment:
    Gerber Sabre 4x8
    Industrialcnc.com 5X10
    Software:
    Mach
    Gerber
    Vectric cut 2d, 3d and V Carve Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Old thread but I've cut a decent amount of the stuff with 1/8" and 1/4" bits on my small machine/.
    Keep RPMs higher than you would for other woods and ensure your bits are sharp.
    The wood will dull your bits faster, and I sort of compare it to plastic in some ways... If you feel inclined you can machine it up so it comes out polished.
    Please be careful with the dust as it's one of the most nasty and carcinogenic wood dust you can find.