Clogged cutters

Thread: Clogged cutters

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Clogged cutters

I found a box of Dremel-size (1/8" shank) cutters at a yard sale for a couple $$ and just couldn't pass it. Many (most ) are clogged with what appears to be aluminum. Is there a way to unclog them short of picking it out with a scribe?
    Even if I have to toss (oh no!) the clogged ones there are enough of the useable ones that I won't feel too bad - I'd just feel a lot better if I could salvage them

robotic regards,

Tom

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

You can prolly use many of them. You may not be able to tell if they're damaged until you get the alum out of them. Just look for chipped corners, nicked edges or excess "weld" from the alum melting. If you can get the alum out with a pick (and hammer?), and they're not too chipped, you should be able to at least use 'em for roughing.

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Easy-Off oven cleaner and Draino both attack Al aggressively (you can start a fire with E-O and Reynolds Wrap ) and are safe (?) on oven racks and plumbing. Will they etch steel too?
    Guess I'll sacrifice a couple lambs, so to speak.

robotic regards,

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Soak the cutters in a bowl of it and the chemical reaction with the Aluminum will dissolve it (mostly). After the cutters are clean, put the cutters in a soulution of water and baking soda. This will neutralize the chemicals to keep it from etching the cutter itself.

I don't think other brands of toilet bowel cleaners will work. There's somingthing in "The Works" brand that causes a chemical reation. I remember when I was younger, we would put a little bit of The Works in a plastic milk jug, wad up a ball of aluminim foil and drop it in, put the lid back on and throw it. Give it a minute or two and BOOM!

Stupid Kids.

Downloads
    Uploads

E-Stop:
    Thanks for the info. The active ingredient in Easy Off and Draino is lye (potassium hydroxide KOH). Prolly the same stuff in "The Works".
    Pretty nasty stuff, really. I use the same precautions as when I'm messing with battery acid!

robotic regards,

Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

I remember when I was younger, we would put a little bit of The Works in a plastic milk jug, wad up a ball of aluminim foil and drop it in, put the lid back on and throw it. Give it a minute or two and BOOM!
    I remember when I was older... (couple years ago), we would put dry ice in a plastic jug with a couple inches of water, seal it and BOOM!

'Rekd teh stupid adults