Ajax/Centroid VS Prototrak

Thread: Ajax/Centroid VS Prototrak

dk1machine

Default Ajax/Centroid VS Prototrak

On the Centroid/Ajax subject.......
    Can anyone comment on the Southwestern industries TRAK/or Prototrak controls? I have a friend that bought one of their bed mills used, and a customer that has 2 of their Bridgeport type machines (one is new this year). All say how easy the Trak machines are to program, no G codes needed,etc. I'm skeptical....
    They may be tooo limted. Ajax/Centroid still seems like the better deal, except I wonder about ease of conversational programming for
    1zee-2zee jobs.
    And I think there is NO price comparision.
    Trak claims their ballscrews are "special"
    and will only sell a kit that includes them.
    With Ajax, I can use any ballscrews I want to.
    And my own motors & encoders too. I have an old XLO BP clone that was a slo-syn machine with steppers. It already has ballscrews in it. I called the TRAK people last week, & they
    said "nope, that's one we can't do cause our screws don't fit in it".

Ajax looks like the ticket,but tell me more about their conv. ability. The ajax/cent demo software is mostly useless because it dosen't really work without a control board installed in the PC. Who has an Ajax mill control that can comment on the ease-of-programming for 1-2 pc jobs......?

thanks alot!

dan k

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used the Trak (prototrak) cnc's at one of my former jobs and I loved it! You are right about the g-codes. They are there, just not visable in the program they use to write your program part. They will save and eccept g-codes though. When you need short run or one piece it was great. At my last job I could not get then past the cnc machining center vs. manual machines. I think that both the prototrak or Centroid are great "go betweens" for a productive shop. I have not run a Centroid machine myself, but have seen the demo at a local tool show. Another thing about the Trak system- They use a encoder feedback off a metal wheel that "rubs" on the machine itself. They HAVE to be free of coolent, but otherwise worked well. Centroid uses glass scales. Hope this helps... Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ajax / Centroid acutually program a lot like a trak. easy to use. they use encoders on the servo's not scales. Todd

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sensors No More

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I own a lagun knee mill , I retrofitted a few years back with a Ajax system.This mill was manual be retro fitting. I put around 10k into the retro fit.
    The Ajax programming for the 1.2,3 sfuff is as east as it gets.
    Then if you want to run a complex job, no problem, you can also turn off the power to the servos, and now you have a mill with a DRO. Aside, probing and dightizing, the control packs alot of punch for what it is. The control is bullet proof, and works without a glich.
    I really think that for a mill system, that you want to do alot of various jobs with, the ajax is one to look.

Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have a prototrak dpm smx control ,bed mill and it is very easy to program and mostly operate
    The more detailed tool control we use mastercam. The simple z movement of the head is so easy and going from 2 to 3 axis is no task at all.
    I will be adding one to the house for a prototype only start up and will compare with the centroid controller just to see if i'm missing anything. Any comments ??
    gfoxwc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ajax

I installed an Ajax control on a Yamazen verticle knee mill and I love it. its very easy to program, and for 1 or 2 pc jobs, just use MDI. I used a prototrak, and I prefer the Ajax. You don't need to know G code, except for your MDI.
    hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default centroid controller

Hello ! Thanks for the input ! I went to the pacicfic coast tool show in Santa Clara hoping to find a centroid M400 to check out but a no go.
    Will look for a user in the SF Bay area.
    Happy Turkey !