Need Help! Denbigh model D conversion ?

Thread: Denbigh model D conversion ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Denbigh model D conversion ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Denbigh model D conversion ?

It would be a lot of work and a lot of custom parts. It is possible, but maybe not practical. If you have other machine tools to build parts it might be an interesting project.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It would be a lot of work and a lot of custom parts. It is possible, but maybe not practical. If you have other machine tools to build parts it might be an interesting project.
    Not practical for what reason ?. I dont have any tools with me atm. But have a price from someone I know (1400 nzd$) for all parts except motors/belts, electronics which i can do

Not sure if its poss to add a Variable speed control to it though ?

Last edited by dudz; 04-12-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's an old slow speed machine. That in itself is not horrible but won't have the performance Bridgeport style machine. It looks like the vertical spindle is fixed so the only Z movements possible are by the knee. On the other hand, take off the vertical spindle and use the horizontal spindle and you can do some serious metal removal with that old beast.

Don't know what you are going to get into when installing ball screws in that, but you will want to use ball screws that are at least as big as the lead screws that are in it now.

It is certainly possible to add speed control by using a VFD.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 04-13-2020 at 02:03 AM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It's an old slow speed machine. That in itself is not horrible but won't have the performance Bridgeport style machine. It looks like the vertical spindle is fixed so the only Z movements possible are by the knee. On the other hand, take off the vertical spindle and use the horizontal spindle and you can do some serious metal removal with that old beast.

Don't know what you are going to get into when installing ball screws in that, but you will want to use ball screws that are at least as big at the lead screws that are in it now.

It is certainly possible to add speed control by using a VFD.
    Ok thanks. I found a link to the D model below, but cannot find mentioned the Z max clearance

Denbigh Milling Machines