R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost. Has anyone tried this? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost. Has anyone tried this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost. Has anyone tried this?

Latest update:

I buy my Tormach toolholders from a seller on Ebay. Yes, they are in China. I have always gotten good results from their equipment, so I sent them a message with the drawing to ask if they will make this R8/AXA adapter. They said yes. They expect the price to be $85 US.

This is fabulous news. I told them that I would see if anyone else is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rs=spell_check

Also, if anyone is interested, their Tormach ER20 holders are now ATC compatible. 10 for $119 US.
    R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-2019-07-19-11-51-04-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-2019-07-19-11-51-04-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

This just got extremely interesting. Yes, I'm interested - but in a BXA holder rather than AXA.

And I've purchased from that vendor before as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, so I am working with this vendor to have the toolholder made. They are asking what the tolerances should be for the dovetail in the AXA block. I am drawing a blank finding this data. Does anyone have a drawing of what the dimensions should be? How about surfaced finish?

Downloads
    Uploads

R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-upload_2015-6-22_14-42-21-png

Here is a drawing for an AXA that I found using 0.250" wires.

Don't hold me accountable for the content, just did a dew minutes of research.

Dovetail angle is 60 degrees

Unsure about the callout for surface finish though:/

Downloads
    Uploads

This is what I have come up with. The critical items are the surface finish of the dovetail mating points, the surface of the R8 taper, the width of the dovetail, and the angle and depth of the R8 taper. The rest of the dimensions are not critical except for parallelism of surfaces and the concentricity of the taper.

Any input from others would be very appreciated.

R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-axa-r8-adapter-drawing-page1-jpg
    R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-axa-r8-adapter-drawing-page2-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-axa-r8-adapter-drawing-page1-jpg   R8 Adapter for AXA toolpost.  Has anyone tried this?-axa-r8-adapter-drawing-page2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The manufacturer is still working on building the tool holder, but I have done some further investigations on how to use it.

Here is a video of how it should work.

First, with regard to tool offsets, the face of the tool holder itself will be used as the zero offset in the Z axis. This means that the Z offset for each tool installed in the lathe will be the same as it is installed in the mill. Also it means that whatever method you use to measure the tool length can be used to determine the Z offset for the lathe. Second, the X offset is the same for any tool installed in the holder. This will align the tool with the centerline of the spindle. Finally the Y axis, or the depth of the AXA holder on the toolpost will align the tool in the Y axis with the centerline of the spindle.

Piece of cake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12