New Machine Build Student organization looking to build CNC milling machine for school donation - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Student organization looking to build CNC milling machine for school donation

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Student organization looking to build CNC milling machine for school donation

Hi 308 - No release necessary. The parts will come apart when needed to. Release films may affect the curing of the adhesive. Only set the machine once it has bedded in and its joints are pulled down for the last time. Look up asperity. Cheers Peter S

Default Re: Student organization looking to build CNC milling machine for school donation

Thanks for the info!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi 308 - Just another thought. Edge drilling and tapping holes can be a chore in this sort of machine & if you strip one it's a thread repair. Think about using nut pockets. As you will be profiling the parts you can easily machine a nut pocket. Then when you do the edge hole the jobs done. Figure out your spanner clearance or make a narrow spanner to minimise pocket size. Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Student organization looking to build CNC milling machine for school donation-bolt-detail-1-jpg   Student organization looking to build CNC milling machine for school donation-bolt-detail-2-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 06-23-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Interesting idea! do you know how that affects rigidity if at all?

Downloads
    Uploads

The global stiffness will be the same. You have to do some analysis to figure it out exactly. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi 308 - Just another thought. Edge drilling and tapping holes can be a core in this sort of machine & if you strip one its a thread repair. Think about using nut pockets. As you will be profiling the parts you can easily machine a nut pocket. Then when you do the edge hole the jobs done. Figure out your spanner clearance or make a narrow spanner to minimise pocket size. Cheers Peter
    Or just make the pocket a sliding fit for the nut so that the pocket is the spanner.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi 308- Since I had the little bolt model I made for you I did a simulation on the connection. Simsolid shows one assembly slipping while the other does not. The solid side is at full pretension the slipping side is at 1/10th pretension. I suggest you talk to Altair and get a student copy of Simsolid. It's the best software for doing this sort of thing. Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...2627793608277/

https://altairhyperworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Or just make the pocket a sliding fit for the nut so that the pocket is the spanner.
    exactly what I was thinking!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi 308- Since I had the little bolt model I made for you I did a simulation on the connection. Simsolid shows one assembly slipping while the other does not. The solid side is at full pretension the slipping side is at 1/10th pretension. I suggest you talk to Altair and get a student copy of Simsolid. It's the best software for doing this sort of thing. Peter

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...2627793608277/

https://altairhyperworks.com/
    thank you for the suggestions! I will look into it

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi 308 - Hows the project going? any updates? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi 308 - How is the project going? I found an article on the measured stiffness of a machining centre. It was 167N/um so its really stiff. And I added an analysis of a spindle as well. Cheers Peter S

Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123