Build Thread CNC Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build

Thread: CNC Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build

Hi,
    So I decided to make a post about my mill enclosure build. I have been scouring the internet for help/ideas on enclosure builds for some time now. I found a lot for the smaller desktop mills, but only a few for knee mills, and nothing like I was really looking for. I figured I have lurked this forum for years (back when I had a Bridgeport series one knee mill), reading and learning what I can from everyone here. I have never really posted much so I thought I would try to contribute and maybe this can help someone else looking to do the same. Plus maybe you guys can give me some tips and ideas as I go. I would appreciate any advice. I am sure there are things I have not thought about.

I purchased a CNC Masters Supra knee mill a little while back. I am just learning about CNC, but the more I use it the more I realize I need something to contain all the chips. This thing slings them everywhere. LOL I never used my Bridgeport enough that a few chips here and there was not bad. But when I can make so much more, I have chips everywhere. I also really want a better coolant system. So I figured I would utilize the bottom of my mill and put a sump pump in there to recirculate a flood system.

So I started the build this weekend. Since I am not sure about all the dimensions, I figure it will be easiest to build it out of plywood. I have a rough idea how I plan to attach it and how I want it in the end. But I will have to build it on the fly. I saw a few people using plywood, so I figure it will be ok to start with. Once I have it built I will have all the dimensions so that I can have the local metal shop make me one out of metal. My plan is to coat it in marine epoxy and paint it. I do a lot of boat building and boat work so I have plenty of epoxy for the job. One thing I am curious about is I read silicone does not last very long with the different type of coolants. So this is something I will have to figure out during the final assembly. But right now I just have to get all the angle and cuts made. Any ideas are definitely welcome.

I started off with using some aluminum angle and make a box around the bottom of the mill. I just purchased my first Tig so this is my first attempt at welding with it. Way different than Mig. So don’t beat me up to bad over the quality. My education is Youtube University. LOL I made a mistake measuring the front and it was about an inch to short. So I just cut it in the middle and welded in a patch. Hey more practice is what I figure. Once I get the bottom angles figured out with plywood, I will weld a flange on the bottom with some 6” flat bar. This will make a bowl so any coolant will not be able to get over. I also still need to figure out a straining system as the coolant flows into the bottom of the mill. I have seen steel wool being used, but not sure how I will go about this. There is just a small strainer in the bottom currently.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-flange-start-jpg

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-weld-jpg

What took the longest time was drilling and taping the holes for all the bolts.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-flange-bolted-jpg

I got the left side back on. I only put in a couple of bolts to hold everything in place.
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-back-left-jpg

Love me some Kregg jig for jointing everything together.
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-kregg-jig-jpg

Got the bottom left side on here. I marked this angle on the back board and will trim everything down after it is all together.
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-left-bottom-jpg

Now to the right side
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-right-side-jpg

And the bottom
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-right-bottom-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-weld-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-flange-start-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-flange-bolted-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-back-left-jpg  

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-kregg-jig-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-left-bottom-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-right-side-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-right-bottom-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build

I put a board on the front to hold everything together. The width is about 4" longer than 8'. So I am going to have to find a longer piece of plywood (which I don't think there is locally), or I will make 2 boards scabbed together here. I want to make this front about 6" wider. I have some extrusion laying around that I will use on top of this front board so I can put some 1/4" plexiglass in to have some sliding windows. That is another hurdle once I get there. I also plan to use some EPDM rubber sheet to cover the middle where the 2 back pieces attach to the mill. I will use 1/8" thick rubber and I figure I could use some magnets to seal it to mill's head. And I will just use some metal flat bar and pinch the rubber against the plywood on the back. I will see how this will work.
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-front-start-jpg

Well this is what I have done so far. I will try to keep up with this post. Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-front-start-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got a little more work done on the enclosure. I used a piece of 6" flat bar and made a patch for the front. Used some 3/8" carriage bolts and lock nuts.
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_111125-jpg

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_112823-jpg

Got the front on and then had to figure out the crazy angles for the front section. I broke it down into pieces. I made a little template with some wood for each side. Once I got the angle correct I could measure it with an angle finder and then cut the front.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_180001-jpg

Here is what the inside looks like after the angles are all cut to size. Turned out not to be as bad as I was thinking it would be.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_180011-jpg

I will get back on it tomorrow. I was happy to get the bottom done all the way around. Now I can add the flange to the aluminum frame I made in the beginning to hold everything together.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_111125-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_112823-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_180001-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_180011-jpg  

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181217_180042-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Following with interest, I need to do something with my cnc Acer knee mill, makes a huge mess. I’ll probably just go with table top.
    What are you going to do for the upper half in front? Doors?
    Is it going to be hard to reach over to set up parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I plan to use some pieces of extrusion I have laying around. The channels that are cut it in are 1/4" so I plan to put some 1/4 Plexiglas in the channel and they should just slide freely. I have not worked out the details yet but that is my plan. As far as reaching to setup parts should be no different than it is now. I have the front only about an inch from the front of my machine. So it should be pretty open to get in there. At least that is my plan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok thx
    My back sucks so I load the vice and other heavy parts from the side of the knee, right up to the table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh yeah that sucks. I did build it where the table runs all the way to the side. It only has about 2" from the side wall and It goes all the way down. I ran it each side and down to the extremes and built up to it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Happy New Year everyone!

Sorry for the delay in posting. With the new year and Christmas I have been busy with the family. I did get a little bit done. I got the lower flange completely built and the rest of the holes drilled and tapped. I also tried to epoxy the panels, but the weather here is really wet and cold currently (not really cold cause it is Florida, but our cold. haha). I put epoxy resin on the panels 3 days ago and it still has not dried yet. I have been running heat lamps over them for days. Just too damp. It sucks. LOL So in the mean time I have been working on a Sushi knife. See what you think. I still have more polishing to go, this is only 600 grit.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181224_170907-jpg

I finally finished my homemade surface grinder. I have had this blade made for a while but no way to flatten it perfectly. So I made a surface grinder with my 2" x 72" belts I use. It turned out REALLY well. I used a variable speed buffer from harbor freight to power it. And V bearings for the tracks. I made my own magnetic chuck. Just alternated some steel and magnets. cased it in some aluminum. I think it is too powerful though. It is very dangerous how strong it is. Anyway check it out here is a little video of my buddy using it. He was grinding down some 1084/15N20 rain drop damascus we were making. It needs a little bit of adjustments but nothing too major. I think it is great for the first attempt.

Here are some pics of the finished profiling of the blade.
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181209_155116-jpg
    CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181209_155208-jpg

Anyway sorry for the side track. Here is the flange. I got it all welded up. Took some work as I had too have everything assembled and then make the cuts on the bottom and tack weld in place. I learned real quick Tig welding up sided down is not very easy. haha. Now just waiting on the panels to dry. I think I will assemble everything and re-glass it later.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181223_125136-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181224_170907-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181223_125136-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181209_155116-jpg   CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20181209_155208-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so I finished up the enclosure a little bit back. Just now getting to update here. I decided to go with a curtain system instead of Plexiglas. It actually gives me a lot more room to get around. I have some heavy clear plastic that turned out great. Here is a pic and a little video. The pump worked perfectly. It plenty strong enough to cool and clear chips easily.

CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20190203_150702-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC  Masters Supra knee mill enclosure build-20190203_150702-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice. I need to get off my butt and build something, I spend way too much time cleaning up