Datron M3 CNC router/mill - any info helpful!

Thread: Datron M3 CNC router/mill - any info helpful!

Activation process MichaelKelly7104's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Datron M3 CNC router/mill - any info helpful!

Hi there, I have the opportunity to purchase a 20 year old Datron M3 for approximately £5000. I am unfamiliar with this machine but from what I understand Datron is a German manufacturer of relatively high end machines.

Can anyone offer any information about this machine, or Datron in general?

Does anyone know if the Datron V7 software is compatible with Fusion 360?

Can anyone advise as to the value of this machine?

Many thanks,
    Michael

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by MichaelKelly7104; 08-28-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: added info

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Datron M3 CNC router/mill - any info helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelKelly7104 View Post
    Hi there, I have the opportunity to purchase a 20 year old Datron M3 for approximately £5000. I am unfamiliar with this machine but from what I understand Datron is a German manufacturer of relatively high end machines.

Can anyone offer any information about this machine, or Datron in general?

Does anyone know if the Datron V7 software is compatible with Fusion 360?

Can anyone advise as to the value of this machine?

Many thanks,
    Michael
    That would be a bad buy at 5,000 pound even a 1000 would be to much for a machine like that and that old, they where not very good when they where new, don't go by the name and German made they all started somewhere and this was one of those early machines they made

Cad and Cam software has nothing to do with what machine you have, you customize the post processor for the output G Code program to suit the machine control you have

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply. You may have saved me here! The new Datron machines are very capable from what I see - is this machine not like that? The seller tells me there is only between 2 and 5 microns of backlash in each axis, and that the cutting tolerances are between 10 and 30 microns. 0.03mm, with servo motors and a pretty bulky frame seems pretty good at this price, no?

Any info is helpful!

Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the machine fully functional? After 20 years, parts need replacing, controls may need replacing, and this can get expensive fast.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Apparently so. The guy who owns it is a tech at Datron and it's been maintained regularly. Are you familiar with this machine? Would you consider this a bad buy?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply. You may have saved me here! The new Datron machines are very capable from what I see - is this machine not like that? The seller tells me there is only between 2 and 5 microns of backlash in each axis, and that the cutting tolerances are between 10 and 30 microns. 0.03mm, with servo motors and a pretty bulky frame seems pretty good at this price, no?

Any info is helpful!

Thanks again!
    It does not matter how good it still is, it is not worth that much money, I have seen them go for 700 pound and in good working condition, are we looking at the same machine, ( attached snip ) don't compare this to any new Datron in any way, 20 years ago it probably was worth 5,000 pound

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Datron M3 CNC router/mill - any info helpful!-capture-png   Datron M3 CNC router/mill - any info helpful!-datron-m3-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Apparently so. The guy who owns it is a tech at Datron and it's been maintained regularly. Are you familiar with this machine? Would you consider this a bad buy?
    Datron tech knows the machine inside out, unless you can get his guarantee in writing, that he would maintain it for the next 5 years then it might not be such a bad deal, other than that it is way to spendy for what it is, make an offer if he won't give you a written guarantee, 2.500 pound max, this is still to much for this 20 year old machine

The accuracy that he has given you seems to good to be true, as they were not that good new

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

We are looking at the same machine, yes. Do you have personal experience with this machine? Do you know what the listed accuracy for one of these machines is? Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

We are looking at the same machine, yes. Do you have personal experience with this machine? Do you know what the listed accuracy for one of these machines is? Thanks again.
    I once used these machines, for about a year and a half, they where accurate at that time, the numbers I don't remember what they where, but it was not as good as what the seller has quoted, the tech may have improved the machine at some time, but as I said it's not worth any where near that much money

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I once used these machines, for about a year and a half, they where accurate at that time, the numbers I don't remember what they where, but it was not as good as what the seller has quoted, the tech may have improved the machine at some time, but as I said it's not worth any where near that much money
    I understand, I'm glad it's coming from someone with experience with this machine - this helps my decision a lot! Thanks for your help!