Stacked Polar Milling

Thread: Stacked Polar Milling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stacked Polar Milling

https://youtu.be/i6POrjVXgsk

I’ve come upon an interesting video demonstrating a dual-polar 3d printer. It utilizes eccentric buildplates to locate coordinates while the print extruded remains stationary.

I was wondering if a something like this could be created for milling operations? It seems like for the hobbyist level router enthusiast it could significantly reduce the cost of building your own machine. No rails/ball screws etc.

I understand challenges would include minimizing backlash in the rotating plates obviously, and the software necessary probably requires more steps (maybe a script that translates Cartesian g-code into polar???)

Just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stacked Polar Milling

It's an interesting idea, but I'd bet the much higher forces you have in milling would require such massive thrust or taper bearings that you wouldn't end up ahead. Also you'd need major down gearing from your steppers or servos to get the torque needed. Also your top speed/force will depend where on the platform you are. Near the edge and you'll get high speeds, but have much less force available for the same torque from the stepper.

G-code translation would be doable, many machine controllers (LinuxCNC included I believe) have [inverse] kinematics built in.