Newbie Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router.... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes sure, anything is possible if you do it within the limitations of the machine even if not optimal, but would you do it in an apartment? Apart from the mess and the toxic fumes as well as fire hazard (depending on the chemicals) it generates a HUGE noise which I would definitely not accept if I was the landlord or a neighbour.
    I think I will do my set up process before I move out, just to try and get the noise down to 60-50DB that is about as loud as a conversation or hair dryer. Being in what will most likely be a double if not tripple sealed full enclosure will help with the mess, more so with a dust boot. A EDM machine will not make too too much noise. Just double up the tanks, like maybe a over flow tank. Just spit balling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....

Are you talking about wire EDM or sinker EDM? Neither works like a mill. Wire EDM is good for cutting out parts (very slowly) or making slits in things. Sinker EDM is good for making molds, but first you need to mill the shape you want out of graphite (which makes a huge mess). What are you actually trying to make?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Any good metalworking machine will be heavy.

Heavier will be more rigid, less noisy, cut better at lower speeds.
    The typical understanding or "feel" is for 50x less rigidity than a metalworking mill/lathe needs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Are you talking about wire EDM or sinker EDM? Neither works like a mill. Wire EDM is good for cutting out parts (very slowly) or making slits in things. Sinker EDM is good for making molds, but first you need to mill the shape you want out of graphite (which makes a huge mess). What are you actually trying to make?
    1911 frames, custom AR-10 upper and lowers for a wildcat, suppressor parts on fourm 1, multiple odd ball gun projects like pin fire revolvers/carbines, a few fourm one lever gun projects, etc etc.

Why can't the EDM electrode be spun to ensure a even wear pattern and applied like a end mill, even if it is much slower. So kinda of a mix between sinker and wire EDM, vary much a solution in serch of a problem. How ever if you use distilled water or EDM fluid the kerosene issue solves it's self. (That is just a bad idea in a ditch machine to much can go wrong.)

Failing that, my last resort is to look at bench top Mills that can have a full enclosure built around. Could something like that form grizzly or bolt on tools mill stainless? The RPMs are right, the look is not. They look so flimsy maybe make tame cuts, I would bet that they have been CNC converted before.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    The typical understanding or "feel" is for 50x less rigidity than a metalworking mill/lathe needs.
    I don't follow, why would metal working machines need so much less rigidity?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think he means that metal working machines require 50x more rigidity than woodworking machines.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KainKelly View Post

Failing that, my last resort is to look at bench top Mills that can have a full enclosure built around. Could something like that form grizzly or bolt on tools mill stainless? The RPMs are right, the look is not. They look so flimsy maybe make tame cuts, I would bet that they have been CNC converted before.
    g0704.com

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for! I am going to go compare prices and start looking into that, I will probably build a router first. Those aluminum parts look easy enough to make on a good machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys quick question, this says the y axis ball screw is 14 in long but states it only has 6 ins of y travel, it that from the center of the table forward and backwards?
    Link:
    6" x 26" Vertical Mill with Power Feed and LED Worklight | Grizzly Industrial

Downloads
    Uploads

It's from one side of the table to the other (minus 1/16" on either side). Most of that screw's length is taken up by the journals at either end for the bearings and the attachments for the handwheel.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It's from one side of the table to the other (minus 1/16" on either side). Most of that screw's length is taken up by the journals at either end for the bearings and the attachments for the handwheel.
    Okay thanks, I also saw on YouTube a mod some one did to add more Y axis by cutting the base, do you have any idea what that might have been?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12