Newbie Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router.... - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I think they are related.

If you want the machine to be able to cut like a mill, it needs to be massively built. You need very high rigidity, and a lot of mass. A router can be much lighter, as the materials are much softer. But even a small, $20,000 router would struggle cutting steel, even with an appropriate spindle.
    Yeah, I have been figuring that. I have been trying to find good information open source about sinker EDM, I am thinking that maybe a better way to mill metal for now at least.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    You dont need to put limit switches for it will give you problems in the future specially on milling metals @ 24K RPM, the harmonic vibrations of the table will cause the limit switches to vibrate too, thus interrupting the machining process

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-cnc-design9-jpg

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-cnc-design10-jpg
    Looks like a great machine what will it be made from?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....

The Column and the base will be made of steel (1/4 thick) a CNC plasma will be a better partner for this kind of project, You mentioned you like working with steel this is how I cut metals on a cheap router.

CNC plasma cutting 3/8 steel.

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-20170719_084615-jpg

This is how I play with metals

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-11-jpg

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-222-jpg

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-333-jpg

As you an see on the pictures, it`s really a bit messy not to have a recirculator bin, all the chips will be on the place, unlike if there`s coolant flowing, some chips will be flushed on the flowing liquid at the same time cooling the tool bit so that it will not change it`s state when it gets hot, eliminating the resharpening in the middle of the program route

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-20170719_084615-jpg   Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-11-jpg   Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-222-jpg   Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-333-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Column and the base will be made of steel (1/4 thick) a CNC plasma will be a better partner for this kind of project, You mentioned you like working with steel this is how I cut metals on a cheap router.

CNC plasma cutting 3/8 steel.

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-20170719_084615-jpg

This is how I play with metals

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-11-jpg

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-222-jpg

Hi I am looking to build a CNC mill/router....-333-jpg

As you an see on the pictures, it`s really a bit messy not to have a recirculator bin, all the chips will be on the place, unlike if there`s coolant flowing, some chips will be flushed on the flowing liquid at the same time cooling the tool bit so that it will not change it`s state when it gets hot, eliminating the resharpening in the middle of the program route
    Thanks I see how that is working now, have you thought about flood coolant at all? That is a nice set up you have.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KainKelly View Post
    Yeah, I have been figuring that. I have been trying to find good information open source about sinker EDM, I am thinking that maybe a better way to mill metal for now at least.
    EDM's are sloooooooow. You aren't talking about inches per minute, but inches per hour.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    EDM's are sloooooooow. You aren't talking about inches per minute, but inches per hour.
    Sadly yes I am aware, its just a not do it at all or do it ungoddly slow. If aluminum can be worked, I would assume that brass and or copper could be to. There by making the electrodes, and then move to a separate EDM machine. Maybe make it a big aluminum casting or something. I just don't see a point to going through the trouble of using steel and/or EG for something that has such little if any cutting force or vibration. I haven't looked into it to much yet, but I have thought about looking into a cheap plasma cutter for roughing/low tolerance work then a proper EDM system for finishing/tight tolerance work. I have to look a little more into the first.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

...this is how I cut metals on a cheap router...
    Yes sure, anything is possible if you do it within the limitations of the machine even if not optimal, but would you do it in an apartment? Apart from the mess and the toxic fumes as well as fire hazard (depending on the chemicals) it generates a HUGE noise which I would definitely not accept if I was the landlord or a neighbour.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes sure, anything is possible if you do it within the limitations of the machine even if not optimal, but would you do it in an apartment? Apart from the mess and the toxic fumes as well as fire hazard (depending on the chemicals) it generates a HUGE noise which I would definitely not accept if I was the landlord or a neighbour.
    Hahahaha definitely not sir, I work in a shop, away from the neighbors, if it`s in the apartment I think the scenario will be this...........weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwweeewwwwww, the neigbor will knock on the door, then he will open the door......Do you want me to call 911? I cant sleep on the noise.....then he will pull all the plugs to shut everything down... hahaha so it`s going to be 911 or shutdown.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I think I will do my set up process before I move out, just to try and get the noise down to 60-50DB that is about as loud as a conversation or hair dryer. Being in what will most likely be a double if not tripple sealed full enclosure will help with the mess, more so with a dust boot. A EDM machine will not make too too much noise. Just double up the tanks, like maybe a over flow tank. Just spit balling.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you talking about wire EDM or sinker EDM? Neither works like a mill. Wire EDM is good for cutting out parts (very slowly) or making slits in things. Sinker EDM is good for making molds, but first you need to mill the shape you want out of graphite (which makes a huge mess). What are you actually trying to make?

Andrew Werby
    Website

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any good metalworking machine will be heavy.

Heavier will be more rigid, less noisy, cut better at lower speeds.
    The typical understanding or "feel" is for 50x less rigidity than a metalworking mill/lathe needs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Are you talking about wire EDM or sinker EDM? Neither works like a mill. Wire EDM is good for cutting out parts (very slowly) or making slits in things. Sinker EDM is good for making molds, but first you need to mill the shape you want out of graphite (which makes a huge mess). What are you actually trying to make?
    1911 frames, custom AR-10 upper and lowers for a wildcat, suppressor parts on fourm 1, multiple odd ball gun projects like pin fire revolvers/carbines, a few fourm one lever gun projects, etc etc.

Why can't the EDM electrode be spun to ensure a even wear pattern and applied like a end mill, even if it is much slower. So kinda of a mix between sinker and wire EDM, vary much a solution in serch of a problem. How ever if you use distilled water or EDM fluid the kerosene issue solves it's self. (That is just a bad idea in a ditch machine to much can go wrong.)

Failing that, my last resort is to look at bench top Mills that can have a full enclosure built around. Could something like that form grizzly or bolt on tools mill stainless? The RPMs are right, the look is not. They look so flimsy maybe make tame cuts, I would bet that they have been CNC converted before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast