Fix to lack of VFD in Analog model Royal Rotarack Parts Accumulator.

Thread: Fix to lack of VFD in Analog model Royal Rotarack Parts Accumulator.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fix to lack of VFD in Analog model Royal Rotarack Parts Accumulator.

We have 3 of the Royal Rotaracks, they are the PLC model. We bought a new machine and thought an analog version would be fine because our guys don't really have time to perfectly program the PLC a lot of the time anyway, so the analog VFD model would be fine- also tool changes screw with the perfect timing of machine operation and result in the machine not tracking perfect to the PLC anyway. So many weeks later we got a analog model delivered, and a few weeks after that Doosan was finished with floor settup and we were using the rotarack.

Quickly we noticed, "**** THERE IS NO VFD OR SPEED CONTROL KNOB" So in a minute all your parts are in the center of the accumulator banging into each other. The manual litterally says something to the effect of "we punished you for not buying the PLC model for like $3500 more money." <I'm paraphrasing but they acknowledge this will damage your parts which begs the question of why they didn't solve that instead of fielding it this way. We really didn't appreciate that. So up **** creek we looked for a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product for $13.99 gave us all the functionality of the PLC rotarack and saved our butts. I wouldn't have had to post this fix if the variable speed knob existed, but it doesn't so this is a huge improvement to the analog rack. We have a part running 4:35 and we are moving the table for 10 seconds every 4:35 and that's enough to keep the parts from touching each other on this first job.

We like Royal Products and use their QG-65 collets, chucks, and rotarack, and the only other thing we've requested is to buy collets direct to save time when a job needs to go in. This lack of a speed control is the first negative thing we've had to say about a royal product.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fix to lack of VFD in Analog model Royal Rotarack Parts Accumulator.

This lack of a speed control is the first negative thing we've had to say about a royal product
    arent those things like 10k?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fix to lack of VFD in Analog model Royal Rotarack Parts Accumulator.

$7600 for the analog model, the non PLC version saved $2000. Yeah that's a lot of money for no speed control. I got a speed control on a welding positioner for $1600.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Green0 View Post
    $7600 for the analog model, the non PLC version saved $2000. Yeah that's a lot of money for no speed control. I got a speed control on a welding positioner for $1600.
    Not sure what your are trying to achieve, but you can buy a $150 to $200 VFD that will give you speed control of a 3ph ac motor, even speed control for your wielding positioner only needs to cost $150 to $200 Max

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not sure what your are trying to achieve, but you can buy a $150 to $200 VFD that will give you speed control of a 3ph ac motor, even speed control for your wielding positioner only needs to cost $150 to $200 Max

I meant that for $1600 they make welding positioners complete with VFD. I was just surprised no VFD option for the $7600 item that Royal knows needs the VFD. I'm a customer I buy solutions from people, and when they are delivered as problems, that's a problem because I also make products for people and I have my own problems to solve because I sell people solutions.

This is a public service message for anyone who gets a analog rotarack and needs a solution.

Downloads
    Uploads

Our rotarack continues to run on the Cheap amazon timer so that appears to be a decent solution.

Downloads
    Uploads

What's the "analog" in the name of the product mean then? Seems like it should have some sort of analog input..
    Glad your simple solution worked though. They never get out of sync?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    What's the "analog" in the name of the product mean then? Seems like it should have some sort of analog input..
    Glad your simple solution worked though. They never get out of sync?
    They will get out of sync but only because production slowed down - AKA a tool change takes 5 minutes, now the table may have moved one extra time - so there is never a danger of the part touching another part, so this isn't a problem.

The PLC model allows you to program the time and number of table motions, aka if you actually plan to leave your shop and let the machine run for a certain amount of time prior to shutting down. The issue with that is that if you have tool life monitored (which essentially has to be happening to allow lights out production to happen) your machine will stop producing parts the first tool end of life that comes up so that doesn't work reliably in reality unless you want to throw away a bunch of inserts every night, have a guy index every insert and zero life to let it run for a while.

The PLC sounds great but then when you start running it, you realize it's unnecessary for it to be exactly on time with the machine, and the only true way to do that would be to literally have it running with machine input like a machine mounted conveyor. Then it would never be out of sync and would only run the programmed number of degrees every time the conveyor moved.