How to clean dried coolant, oil, and chips?

Thread: How to clean dried coolant, oil, and chips?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to clean dried coolant, oil, and chips?

Getting a used machining center that has a significant buildup of crud in the enclosure. Need to remove the enclosure but cant even see where some of the fasteners are because of a buildup of chips, coolant, oil, etc especially in the corners. What's the best way to remove this? Just chisel if off? Put something on to loosen it up? The machine has been sitting for at least 2 years so it is all dry.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to clean dried coolant, oil, and chips?

Kerosene or diesel? For quick action, brake parts cleaner works pretty good, I like the non-flammable stuff. That and a wire brush. Available at any auto parts store.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Kerosene or diesel? For quick action, brake parts cleaner works pretty good, I like the non-flammable stuff. That and a wire brush. Available at any auto parts store.
    I would highly recommend not using anything that produces strong vapors inside the enclosure. You won't last 5 minutes using brake cleaner inside of there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just get to the point where you can remove the enclosure and then take it outside and power wash it (tyvek suit recommended). For any parts you can't remove to power wash take a paint scraper, some sort of scotchbright pad and an alkaline cleaner and go to town.

Downloads
    Uploads

Could you use some Gunk Engine cleaner? It will dissolve the grime so you can flush it out with water and it is easy on plastic, glass, and rubber.

Downloads
    Uploads

Use STP Superclean. It actually dissolves the caked-on oil. I have used it to clean numerous machines, and it works really well. I have even managed to get stuff removed with it that wouldn't respond to isopropyl, nor acetone. You need to use nitrile gloves when using it heavily, but it's not really bad. It doesn't stink, and from personal experience, I can tell you it does what it says on the bottle. No affiliation with the company, just a satisfied user of the product.

My method has been to drown the machine in WD40, let it sit overnight and take a putty knife to it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used oven cleaner on a super gacked up old sheldon I bought

Downloads
    Uploads

If the Crud is a build up of water based coolant & swarf, the BEST way to dissolve it, is to mix up a fresh batch of water based coolant in the proper ratio and spray it on the crud till it dissolves. I have found that this by far is the most effective, and the fresh coolant has rust inhibiting properties - do not use plain water, it will not dissolve as effectively and will cause everything to rust .

Harsh chemicals will not dissolve aqueous based coolant residue... likewise if the build-up is from a chemical based coolant, then aqueous (water-based) will have no effect.