Need Help! Shizuoka AN-S nylon gear failure .

Thread: Shizuoka AN-S nylon gear failure .

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shizuoka AN-S nylon gear failure .

Well I just finished my retrofit of a Shizuoka AN- S mill and after a few hours of fun it shed a few teeth on the nylon gear
    in the head . I rebuilt the upper part of the head but thought the gears looked OK.
    I would like to get this fixed if possible as I put a lot of effort into this thing.
    I am hoping someone else may know where to get one or has a print or CAD drawing of the gear.
    I have a parts manual with a part number if it helps.

Any info may help . My boat isn't big enough to use it as an anchor.

Thanks,
    Tim

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shizuoka AN-S nylon gear failure .

So I looked in my photocopied manual for the Shizuoka and noticed in the notes section of the part number for the nylon gear (99) 05110380 there is a number that is unreadable on my copy.
    It starts out 2m6? and the rest is illegible . I am hoping it is the gear specs. -dia., # of teeth etc. If anyone has a better copy or original and can share that number it would be
    very much appreciated. I'd like to avoid disassembling the head until I know I have all the parts in hand if possible.

Thank You,
    Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tim,
    I also have a Shizuoka AN-S with a trashed back gear. Your question was years ago, but if you are anything like me, you might still be working around it. I am in the process of reverse engineering a new backgear for it. In the book it says "Nylon Gear" so I guess that is what I'll go with. I have taken caliper measurements and hi-res photos of the castings to get the hole-to-hole center distances and measured the original metal gear. If I setup to make one I can probably churn out some more easily enough. If I order them I expect gears 2..N are a lot cheaper than number 1. I'll publish what I learn here or a link to my site with the write-up.

Sparks-n-chips

Downloads
    Uploads

...use Delrin. its stronger and machines nice.
    https://www.dupont.com/brands/delrin.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...use Delrin. its stronger and machines nice.
    https://www.dupont.com/brands/delrin.html
    machinehop5, thank you for the idea. I have considered Delrin; however my recollection is that Machinery's handbook showed it had roughly the same hardness and strength as nylon, but not as good impact resistance (nylon was better). I can imagine the impact resistance could be important when I think about it being low gear and that it will be used for fly cutting and similar operations. I was also thinking it lasted for about 30 years before it broke the first time, so maybe Nylon was good enough. I can be talked out of this choice. The lubricity of Delrin is great, too -- but I think it was age that killed the gear and not wear. How would you think about impact resistance in this choice?

Downloads
    Uploads

My book shows in the notes section the gear is an 2M64. That translates to Module 2 (medtric) 64 tooth. I have made a drawing of mine and I'm either going to machine one myself or see where I can order it. I'll post a drawing here. Ping me if I forget!