new to cnc

Thread: new to cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default new to cnc

I am new to cnc and have never had any experience with it. That being said I want to design a maching that will be using a plasma cutting torch. This has interested me and have read most posts here on the board. I am thinking that this project will not be that difficult, set aside motor and track system.
    I am really requesting anyone to help me get started in what to look at as a design. I would like to make the unit be able to handle a large piece of steel, say maybe 5'x8'.
    Any information is appreciated. As in what to look for:material, motor, guides, etc. Also can a cnc machine be used to mill out small blocks of aluminum as well as cutting designs out of sheet metal.
    thanks to all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Being new to CNC and designing a machine is quite the task, The table size you are looking at is getting up there in size, so to do milling as well as plasma requires a really stiff machine, the plasma cutting does not exert too much in the way of side forces.
    Another thing to consider with plasma is usually you cut up to around 100ipm so I would recommend servo's over steppers.
    Also most industrial plasma gantry's have automatic height control as it is important to maintain constant arc voltage.
    I have used Acroloop control and software they do both a gas/plasma package and a mill package. Also depending on your work duty cycle, you may need a water cooled cnc torch.
    Al

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.