Spindle Repair-Brother TC-221

Thread: Spindle Repair-Brother TC-221

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Repair-Brother TC-221

Hello,
    Anyone ever replace the spindle bearings on a Brother TC-221 CNC?
    My bottom bearing, the closest to the nose and the spindle taper cartridge
    is getting hot. It hasn't set off the machines thermal alarm(s) yet but it's
    far too hot for my liking. Any advice, procedures, or service knowledge would
    be a great help. Also, if anyone knows of good tech in the Pacific Northwest
    (USA), that would help as well.

Thanks in advance
    Ben

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I have done it on a TC-321.
    You first need to release the coupling to the motor. This is done through a hole on the right side of the spindle. Release the clamping screw of the lower coupling. Then remove the motor from the spindle. After that remove the screws at the spindle head. Use a piece of wood and a small hammer and you'll be able to push the spindle out of the housing. This is done through the motor area. The Z-axis must be high enough for removing the spindle out of the housing.

Be shure to get the right bearings. Then replace the bearings (direction is important) and check that the drawen lines of two bearings will show a "V".
    Very important is to fill ~30% of the bearings with glue (not more!!!). Then attach the bearing screw. This must be done with the right torque which I don't know for your spindle. Maybe you have to try out.
    After that you can put the spindle back into the machine. If you are ready you'll have to setup the orientation. This can be done through the machine paramters.
    Sorry for my english...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why did you replace the bearings on your machine? Were they making noise or were
    they getting HOT?
    Where did you purchase the bearings? I'm seeing two different types in my parts
    list. The top bearings near the motor do not appear to be the same as the the one's
    near the spindle taper. I'm seeing 4 bearings, does that seem correct?
    What type of Glue? And where should I be applying it?

Thanks
    Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

I think he meant 'grease', not 'glue'

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive installed a brother spindle email me if you have questions. ckrauswi@yahoo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I mean grease - sorry for my english.

The bearings have been noisy. The risk to destroy the spindle itself was to high for me. If the bearings are blocking they may also destroy the bearing-seat.

You'll need two pairs of bearings (2x 2 bearings). One small pair and one bigger. Also you must order them at your bearing dealer in the right pairing. You'll find the bearing numbers in the partlist. With the number your dealer will know how the bearings are paired. Paired bearings are very expensive (~1000$ for all bearings).

Best Regards,
    Stephan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where did you purchase the bearings? Did the taper need grinding after the install?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for your advice.
    Is your company selling the software that converts G-code into Brother motion control?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Colby
    Thanks so much for your advice.
    Is your company selling the software that converts G-code into Brother motion control?
    The taper don't need any grinding after install. The only really different point is the tention on the bearings. You need to know the right torque for the bearing nuts.

Regarding G-Code:
    We have such a program written by me and one of my engineers. At the moment we are doing some improvements and tests. When all this has been done we will sell it. I have received some requests by mail and I will tell more about it when it's really ready to sell. Sorry for this but we can not sell a program without removing possible bugs. We don't want to destroy more spindles by crashes as neccessary
    We also will sell Wireless-LAN modules which has been developed for our brother machines by our electronic development department. A software for complete Remote Control of Brother machines will also be there.

Best Regards,

Stephan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for all the information. I eagerly await your software once it's
    ready.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you ever finish the software for the Brother CNC?

regards,
    Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Repair-Brother TC-221

Did you ever finish the software for the Brother CNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan77 View Post
    The taper don't need any grinding after install. The only really different point is the tention on the bearings. You need to know the right torque for the bearing nuts.

Regarding G-Code:
    We have such a program written by me and one of my engineers. At the moment we are doing some improvements and tests. When all this has been done we will sell it. I have received some requests by mail and I will tell more about it when it's really ready to sell. Sorry for this but we can not sell a program without removing possible bugs. We don't want to destroy more spindles by crashes as neccessary
    We also will sell Wireless-LAN modules which has been developed for our brother machines by our electronic development department. A software for complete Remote Control of Brother machines will also be there.

Best Regards,

Stephan
    Hi Stephan,do you complete software and if you done,can you sell?