Help to pick small (not mini) CNC Lathe

Thread: Help to pick small (not mini) CNC Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Help to pick small (not mini) CNC Lathe

I would like some help in deciding which type of cnc lathe would but right for our shop. We currently use a manual metal lathe and would like to improve our productivity in this area due to all the HOT Jobs.
    We would be using this for a job shop type of work not really mass production. We would be turning small items 1/4"-2" diameter and 1"-12" in length. We turn a lot of Nylatron / Nylon, and non ferrous metals.
    We do mostly outside turning (small pins with steps in the end) but also need to do ID turning (bore a hole in the end). We would also need to be able to turn inside & outside threads. An automatic stock feed would be nice.

I would like to keep our price below $15,000 (if new) and would be willing to look at good used machines for the right price. As I am new to this, I don't know if this is even within the price range for this type of cnc lathe.

Thanks for any help

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For jobs that size i'd recommend a 6" chuck. No way will you get a new machine for $15,000 though. A place I worked bought a brand new 12" chucker and it was about £60,000. Thats pounds not dollars. For your price range i'd go for one about 2-3 years old. Just like cars they lose a lot in price during the first few years so second hand will be best.

IMO, Mori Seiki make the best machines but you will pay big for one of these. Plenty other companies make decent machines though and at a cheaper price. Daewoo, Yang and Nakamura to name but three.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not up on CNC lathes much. I want one like a dog but don't have the work for one right now.
    For your type of work maybe the Haas TL1 might be of interest. You con get one for a little over 20K new.

As for used I have been keeping an eye on this machine for a while.
    http://www.actionmachinery.com/writeups/15345.htm

This may be just what you are looking for. It is about twice as much as your are looking to spend but is about what is realistic.

Good luck

ARB
    "That Will Be a dollar for the work and a dollar for knowing how" FB

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks M@T, I think that I may need to think about the "Bonus Depreciation" that the IRS is allowing this year for new equipment, This at least will help offset the cost of buying new.

Thanks ARB, the Daewoo seems like a nice looking machine. Is $32,500.00 a good price for a used machine like this?

Downloads
    Uploads

5axis,
    I'm not sure if this is to late or not, just some thoughts if your looking at machines. You were talking about a barfeed, LNS hydrobar is a nice one. You can find one on the internet that will handle most of the bar diameters your looking at. Used will probably be @ $6,000. They are also very reliable and low maintenance. As far as looking for a machine. I'd talk to some of the machine vendors in your area. Alot of times a company will purchase a machine as a replacement for one they have on their floor. Many times they need to get the old one off the floor before they can bring their new one in. Sometimes you can work out a deal just so they can get it off their floor. The used machine market is pretty weak right now. Company's aren't getting good trade in's. I'm not sure how tight your tolerances are. You might have to do some work on the machine but I think there's enough help on this site to get you running. I'd look for options too. I would look for rigid tapping if your doing threading. It'll save alot in tension/ compression holders,adapters, etc. With the money you want to spend though you may not be able to be picky. Let me know if your still looking. I have a few contacts in the field that may be able to help.

Gunner

Gunner

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.machinetools.com/mt/machi...36682495491511

We have one like this in our shop and I love it. Easy to learn and you will never want to go back to the manual machine again. I do almost all the programing at the machine. Used, it should be in your price range.

Gary