CNC Bridgeport

Thread: CNC Bridgeport

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just picked up a used CNC Bridgeport in the last six months. After rigging it into the cellar I needed to build a rotary converter to get it up and running. The controller is 110V and after checking it out everything seemed to work except the CRT, it was two blurry to read. An electronic friend helped out hear and it is now OK. Now I’m trying to learn G-code. I bought a manual from the manufacture of the controller Anilam, and got the X , Y table to go through some movement last night for the first time.
    I do all my drawings in AutoCAD. Some 3-D drawing but am not good at it. It takes a lot of time and I have not seen the benefit to using it in the shop. It’s only nice to see if things go together. I have heard that there is software to convert my drawing to G-code. Also the machine has a RS-232 port. I was told there is soft where I can send the G-code right to the machine from my computer.
    I need all the help I can get.
    Beginner.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Bridgeport-p1010001aaa-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Deskam to create my G-code. I open a DXF file in Deskam and than apply tooling to the shape. Than after saving the file I open it in Yeager to run the file on my machine.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a program called Waynemark for simple 2d tool paths.
    Take an Autocad dwg. and save it as a dxf file. Then I open the dxf file and select entities that move the tool in the directions I choose. I save the file.
    I open Waynemark software and convert the dxf file to cnc code.
    It writes the file to my Fanuc post processor. I check the tool path,and thats it. Got my part.

eddiez

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eddie
    I looked up the Waynemark Software and have the address of the supplier in Pasadena CA You are saying this one program will convert an AutoCAD drawing to G-code and send it to the machine. I will need to contact them and learn more about the package and cost. Do you think it is compatible with most CNC Software?

Paul uses two Software programs Yeager Automation’s is listed at $199.00 and DesKAM 2000 is listed at $230.00 for the Download version.

My controller on my Bridgeport is Anilam Crusader Series M built in 1985
    One of my problems is I’m not sure what questions I should be asking.
    Rolly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Bridgeport-p1010014a-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default learn "G" code

Hi Roly

You should still learn "G" code particulary for simple stuff.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rolly,
    The first question is, the software support the Anilam control.
    Its been a long time since I used the Anilam control. Mys first control was a Bandit, then Anilam, and now Fanuc.
    I do not remember if the Anilam uses Gcode. If you look at the control, and you see buttons like (go)or (feed)(repeat) please let me know. This will help refresh my memory. I will look at my post processor configuration to see if it has one for anilam. OK?

eddiez

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

eddiez
    Yes Anilam uses G-code Some keyboard definitions of the keys are
    Do (do loops)
    SUBR (Subroutine)
    CALL (to execute a subroutine)
    END (a subroutine is a mini program it must have a End Statement)
    RAPID
    FEED
    ABS/INC
    DWELL
    AUX (auxiliary codes there are 56 listed in the manual)
    T (tool)
    ARC (CW)
    ARC (CCW)
    G (code’s)
    V (code’s) (variables) looks like there may be as many as 80. Variables are used with the G-code and some AUX codes to input necessary information to make changes to canned cycle program’s.
    Rolly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Bridgeport-p1010002cc-jpg  

Andrew

If you're making 3d surfaced parts in AutoCad and saving them as DXF or STL, then DeskProto will be able to read them and write rastering toolpaths to cut them out. It has an Anilam postprocessor, so you're covered there. They have a basic version I sell for $250, but the full version, (which supports 4-axis milling, among other advanced features missing from"Deskproto lite") costs a bit more. You can try either for free by downloading a demo from www.deskproto.com; it will time out after 30 days.

If you're trying to convert 2d drawings to G-code, DeskProto won't help: it just recognizes polygon-mesh surfaces. Doug Yeager wrote "Ace Converter" that converts drawings to G-code: you can download it for free at http://www.yeagerautomation.com/ace.htm ; as far as I know it is totally free and doesn't expire. If you try it, let us know how well it worked for you. Of course there are other programs that can do one or both of these functions, but usually you have to pay for them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew
    Thanks for the information. I will look into this Software. Like Jim said I do need to learn how to write G-code for my machine. I tried last night and I do have to use V-codes with different G-codes. I used the Help button and with G87 I need to use V-codes to tell the machine the Z direction for return position and pre drill position and drill depth position. It will be a while before I master this stuff.
    Rolly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been writing some G-code for the Mill. I put a pencil in the chuck and paper on a plate on the table. It was drawing out the X & Y tracing. Then I started to try some G-87 type stuff, never got it to work. I could not even start the servo drive motors. Seams the machine wont run if the program is two screwed up. Playing around with the controller I found a built in simulator. I reloaded a program that I had drawn on paper and darned if the simulator didn’t draw the same thing. No need for paper if I can figure out how to find the simulator again.
    Having fun Rolly

Downloads
    Uploads

You could use a program that would take a DFX and convert it to g code for you. I think Yeager Automation has somthing like that.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Waynemark Software

Waynemark Software has been supplying the CNC industry with CAD/CAM software since 1988. We currently have two products available that may be of interest to hobbyists and professionals:

Waynemark CNC Utilities
    Waynemark FastPath CAM.

The CNC Utilities is a collection of programs designed to convert, display, generate, and edit G-code programs. It has features such as Engrave, Plot, Project-onto, Arc2Line, Abs2Rel, DXF2CNC, Rotate, Spiral, CncComm, and many more in a nice user friendly environment. The package sells for $249.

FastPath is a full graphics interface CAM system with precision drawing of lines, arcs, points, B-spline and Bezier curves, rectangles, ellipses, text, DXF import/export, Scaling, Rotating, etc. It sells for $799.

The two packages work very well together or can be used independently of each other.

For members of CNCzone that are hobbyists, I will offer a substantial discount. The CNC Utilities can be purchased for $99. FastPath CAM is $299. If you purchase both the total is $350. All prices include free shipping to US addresses. Alaska and Hawaii may cost a small amount.

One more note, if you purchase FastPath but need one of the utilities such as CncComm I will include it for free.

Sincerely,
    Greg Brown (Waynemark Software)

Waynemark Software
    337 Woodcliffe Road
    Pasadena, CA 91105
    (626) 395-7613
    GBrown1002000@Yahoo.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FastPath CadCam and Greg Brown

I have a Techno-Isel CNC 4 Axis Gantry Router with an old Ah-Ha controller that I use in pool cuemaking. When I purchased the machine about 17 years ago I also purchased BobCad ver14. I found BobCad to be a complete nightmare. The tutorials were

flawed with mistakes and missing steps to the point that when I was finally able to get a human at BobCad to try and help me with the tutorial, they laughed and said it was impossible to complete as directed. I had a friend who had purchased a Servo

mill for cuemaking purposes also and with it he received "FastPath". He was up and running in a week or so. I contacted Greg Brown and purchased the software and the utilities and within a week or so I was also making sawdust. A few years ago, at a

weak moment I let the BobCad salesmen sell me BobCad ver21.5 with all the bells and whistles mainly because of the "nesting" program for making inlay pieces in an efficient manner, quickly. I've still never gotten accustomed to using BobCad and it sits

dormant. FastPath is just so user friendly and easy to use, I can't justify the learning curve time it would take me to get proficient with BobCad. There were a couple of times I ran into problems with FastPath, (usually when I was changing or upgrading

computers) and every time, I'd give Greg a call and he'd have me up and running very quickly and easily! I can't express how grateful I am to Greg and how happy I am using Fastpath. I'm no whiz with a computer but fastpath is so easy to use and

understand that it doesn't take a whiz to figure out. Most everything is just common sense and just following simple instructions and if you do get stumped, Greg is just a phone call away. He's has always been very good at explaining how to get back

on track and always seemed eager to help. I HIGHLY recommend FastPath to anyone who is venturing into CNC and isn't already proficient using another program. You won't find anything else as easy to get up and running with out there or anyone as

nice to work with! Greg, if you happen to read this, you have my lasting appreciation!

Sherm Adamson
    Sherm Custom Billiard Cues
    Cincinnati, OH
    sherm@shermcue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Brown View Post
    Waynemark Software has been supplying the CNC industry with CAD/CAM software since 1988. We currently have two products available that may be of interest to hobbyists and professionals:

Waynemark CNC Utilities
    Waynemark FastPath CAM.

The CNC Utilities is a collection of programs designed to convert, display, generate, and edit G-code programs. It has features such as Engrave, Plot, Project-onto, Arc2Line, Abs2Rel, DXF2CNC, Rotate, Spiral, CncComm, and many more in a nice user friendly environment. The package sells for $249.

FastPath is a full graphics interface CAM system with precision drawing of lines, arcs, points, B-spline and Bezier curves, rectangles, ellipses, text, DXF import/export, Scaling, Rotating, etc. It sells for $799.

The two packages work very well together or can be used independently of each other.

For members of CNCzone that are hobbyists, I will offer a substantial discount. The CNC Utilities can be purchased for $99. FastPath CAM is $299. If you purchase both the total is $350. All prices include free shipping to US addresses. Alaska and Hawaii may cost a small amount.

One more note, if you purchase FastPath but need one of the utilities such as CncComm I will include it for free.

Sincerely,
    Greg Brown (Waynemark Software)

Waynemark Software
    337 Woodcliffe Road
    Pasadena, CA 91105
    (626) 395-7613
    GBrown1002000@Yahoo.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,

I have been using this software since 2003 and still use it extensively today. I love it, and will continue its use till they put me out to greener pastures.

Eddie.

eddiez

Downloads
    Uploads

Who knows, He has not been here for 6 years?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No idea if Greg is around, but as to the software and its capability, I have never experienced anything else like it. Still the most user friendly program anyone would want to have.

eddiez

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Who knows, He has not been here for 6 years?
    Al.
    Did you mean me?
    eddie

eddiez