Need Help! CAD/CAM beginner, which CAD/CAM software to use?

Thread: CAD/CAM beginner, which CAD/CAM software to use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb CAD/CAM beginner, which CAD/CAM software to use?

Hello people.
    I am electrical engineer and have a little experience with SolidWorks and NO experience with CAM softwares.
    I have 800x800mm self made CNC machine and plan to use it for woodmilling and other soft materials, maybe aluminium sometimes.
    I am self taught mechanist, i will finish my cnc soon and I am thinking about which CAD and CAM software to use.

So I know a little SolidWorks, I can go to other CAD software, no problem, just tell me please which CAD and CAM software you suggest me to use.
    Priority is failry easy/fast to learn and good performance.

Thank you,

Matic

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CAD/CAM beginner, which CAD/CAM software to use?

I would recommend Vectric - it is simple and versatile. They have several priced different packages.

Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at MOI (Moment of Inspiration). It's a powerful CAD program that's simple to use (especially compared to something like Solidworks). We also sell DeskProto, which is a similarly intuitive CAM program that's very attractively priced for hobbyists.

Andrew Werby
    computersculpture.com

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Fusion 360 by Autodesk. It combines CAD, CAM, generative design and simulation, FEA analysis and PCB design in one package. It does a pretty good job.
    With some limitations it is free to Hobbyists and start-ups, and a subscription is $500/year.

The Manufacturing module, ie CAM, is quite good. It does all the regular 2D and 2.5D toolpaths and a good selection of 3D toolpaths. OK, they are not a patch on MasterCAM
    or HSMWorks, but then Fusion does not cost $20,000 plus yearly update fees either. Fusion does a good job of engineering type parts, but have heard that Vectric is better at the creative
    or artistic type tool paths.

I was not a fan of either the subscription idea nor the cloud based model but I have to admit that it is a very cost effective solution. So much so that I have just paid $1200 (per year)
    as an introductory offer for Machining Extensions to Fusion, that includes 4th and 5th axis, collision avoidance, tool path editing, advanced 3D toolpaths etc.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vlod View Post
    I would recommend Vectric - it is simple and versatile. They have several priced different packages.
    I will check it out!
    Thank you for suggestion!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I use Fusion 360 by Autodesk. It combines CAD, CAM, generative design and simulation, FEA analysis and PCB design in one package. It does a pretty good job.
    With some limitations it is free to Hobbyists and start-ups, and a subscription is $500/year.

The Manufacturing module, ie CAM, is quite good. It does all the regular 2D and 2.5D toolpaths and a good selection of 3D toolpaths. OK, they are not a patch on MasterCAM
    or HSMWorks, but then Fusion does not cost $20,000 plus yearly update fees either. Fusion does a good job of engineering type parts, but have heard that Vectric is better at the creative
    or artistic type tool paths.

I was not a fan of either the subscription idea nor the cloud based model but I have to admit that it is a very cost effective solution. So much so that I have just paid $1200 (per year)
    as an introductory offer for Machining Extensions to Fusion, that includes 4th and 5th axis, collision avoidance, tool path editing, advanced 3D toolpaths etc.

Craig
    Good! Someone also suggested me Fusion 360, I will check it out on YT. Thank you!
    I also found a combo using Solidworks and Artcam, what do you think about Artcam?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by burnley1 View Post
    Good! Someone also suggested me Fusion 360, I will check it out on YT. Thank you!
    I also found a combo using Solidworks and Artcam, what do you think about Artcam?
    Hi, new here too, just downloaded free trial of meshcam 15 days, so far easier to understand than fusion 360

Downloads
    Uploads

Another vote for Fusion 360. I've been using it for a few years. A bit of a learning curve, but easy to learn.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al321 View Post
    Hi, new here too, just downloaded free trial of meshcam 15 days, so far easier to understand than fusion 360
    Thank you man. I will check it out. I just downloaded Vectric Aspire but didnt have enough time to test it. I will check meshcam too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Another vote for Fusion 360. I've been using it for a few years. A bit of a learning curve, but easy to learn.
    Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

My friend has a CNC machine and he always advices to use the software ABViewer. It generates CAD files to G-code very quick and simple to use. Moreover, its free version allows to use the program perfectly. So, I think you may start off with ABViewer.