Newbie Recommend hobbyist CAM software for 4 axis mill

Thread: Recommend hobbyist CAM software for 4 axis mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommend hobbyist CAM software for 4 axis mill

I'm looking into buying a 4-axis mill with Fanuc 0M control. Not a done deal yet but I'll buy a CNC mill at some point no matter what so I figured it's time to explore the options. Are there any CAMs that are free or not too expensive that work well with 4 axis machines? I've never used CAM before. Also, anyone happen to know if the 3DExperience Solidworks Makers license includes same CAM functionality as Solidworks 2021 normally does and if that's usable?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommend hobbyist CAM software for 4 axis mill

Give DeskProto a try. The multi-axis edition has various 4th-axis strategies, and there's a special price for hobbyists.It's pretty simple to use; it was developed for non-machinists, so there's not a lot you need to learn. We sell it for the same price in dollars that it lists for in Euros. https://computersculpture.com/deskproto/

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

There's mentioned that it's not permitted to sell any products made by it. I do sell some products mainly for one guy who builds and sells some Crosskart cars for kids but it's been below €1000 a year and probably won't rise very much in the near future

Also what does it mean when it says there that it's not intended for mechanical type parts. (that's mostly what I do.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists and start-ups but with some restrictions, which I would guess includes coordinated 4th axis.
    I have a yearly subscription for $500/year. My understanding is that full coordinated 4th axis has just been (approx 6 week ago) released for this class of license.
    In fact I think it covers indexed 5th axis also. Genuine 5 axis with collision avoidance costs more, quite a bit more, $1000/year I think.

Please note that I have not tried 4th axis but am relying on advice given by Autodesk.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I've never used CAM before
    ALL CAM is a bit of a learning curve. While there are some common features between manufacturers they each have their own interface and way of doing things.

I've used MasterCAM before, its really complex and hard to learn but its very VERY good, which is just as well, a complete setup with all the latest modules could cost more than $20,000 and $2500 a year!!!
    I used GibbsCAM briefly, also very good with a steep learning curve and is expensive if you get all the modules.

Fusion 360 is middle of the road as far as learning goes. What I do like about Fusion is that you can do CAD, CAM, FEA, generative design, electronics schematic, PCB and simulation. It really is a one stop shop.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

The free version of Confusion 360 won't cut it even for 3 axis anymore as they don't allow rapids and tool changes. I would have to get the paid version. Probably if I took in some more paying jobs it wouldn't be an issue, for my own stuff I would be hesitant to spend 500 a year on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want DeskProto for business use, that's fine, but they can't sell it to you at the heavily-discounted hobbyist price. While you can certainly use it to make mechanical-type parts, it doesn't have the range of features that serious machinists might want, like re-machining strategies used to give smooth surfaces to complex part configurations. But it's much simpler to use than programs like that, and also less expensive, even for commercial users. And you don't have to buy a "subscription" - your license won't expire at the end of a year.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

for my own stuff I would be hesitant to spend 500 a year on that.
    I understand that 100%, and as a hobbyist I came to the same conclusion. Now however I do use it for work and it pays for itself and so my conclusion changed.
    I also did not like the subscription idea either however the more I researched the more I realised that its not such a bad deal after all.

My reason goes something like this:

Just about all CAM manufacturers offer a free or near free version but with limitations to match. The limitations are more than I would tolerate.

Again just about all CAM manufacturers offer an entry level version of their product for around $500-$600 for a perpetual license. Most of these
    are restricted also and for instance often don't include 4th or 5th axis or even 3D toolpaths in some cases.

All of the manufacturers offer an entry level Pro version which is starting to look like the sort of software that I need, things like 4th axis,
    a reasonable selection of 3D toolpaths etc. These sell for around $1500-$2000 for a perpetual license, or at your option a yearly subscription to keep it up
    to date.

My estimate of Fusion 360, and I've been using the subscription version for two years, is that it compares favourably with the entry level Pro version of other
    manufacturers. My subscription is $500/year or $1500 for three years....which compares with the competition in terms of price and features.

What swayed me in the end was those added features that Fusion has. The majority of my work is electronics so having an integrated schematic capture,
    SPICE simulator, PCB design and 3D visualiser built-in, is a definite plus, as is the FEA module. I don't use FEA a lot, but I appreciate not having to buy
    additional software when I do want it.

My conclusion is that Fusion is not cheap exactly but does have a good suite of features for the price. The subscription model is about cost neutral when
    compared to Mecsoft, Aspire, CAMBam etc.

If there is one complaint that I have about Fusion is that its cloud based. To be fair 98% of the time it represents no issues but it seems that every time I want
    to show a customer what the state of his design is......the bloody internet is slow or something.......and I struggle to show my customer what he wants to see.
    I don't know whether its just bad luck or what. That gripe aside I am about 8 out of 10 for Fusion.

Craig