Help Me Choose Which 5-Axis Capable CAM majority used by Hobbiests?

Thread: Help Me Choose Which 5-Axis Capable CAM majority used by Hobbiests?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help Me Choose Which 5-Axis Capable CAM majority used by Hobbiests?

i made some digging in this forum. the free CAM version such as GrblGru is still at its infancy afaik. the others the trial version like HeeksCAM or FreeMill is very crippled, and do not support 5-axis yet, so in the end we have to pay anyway, i did some trying out on fre version including BlenderCAM, i can say i'm dissapointed with simple path they created... so i dig into paid version, some of my reference is this thread... https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncat...oftware-2.html.. some people swore by GibbsCAM or Solid Edge CAM etc, but i can see from the vote, clean majority votes come down to MasterCAM. and then next in list is Catia with just about a quarter voters and slight majority compared to SurfCAM.. but as i understand it, full fledged CAD/CAM like Catia, or probably long established MasterCAM will cost many dollars and not very well used by many hobbyists. but if they are used by majority of people here, why not?

so my simple query is, which one paid version is mostly used by hobbiests? MasterCAM? GibbsCAM? SurfCAM? or else? requirement is that they can produce toolpaths decently or acceptably in hobby CNC world, with various options or strategies, not depending on mother software such as SolidWork, Inventors etc, ie it must work standalone, and lastly, fully support 5-axis toolpath generation, this is a MUST! i mean it. although i dont hear 5-axis CNC practice in cheap hobby is a common thing, so i'm open to more expensive yet affordable paid version.

why i ask this? because my intention is i want to produce g-code from the recommended CAM software, and make a script to translate it to my machine compatible g-code (Marlin based), you can see here... https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-d...8-cnc-cam.html why i ask for most used CAM is because hopefully my script or translator code or software can be benefited by others who will venture to this hobby, with many support around available. so we are not alienated because we use some weird CAM SW. my actual thinking is to provide a cheap path for the hobby 5-axis CNC stuffs, hope it understandable, will love to hear anything from you guys regarding this matter, or else i will have no choice other than to choose my own path, alienated or become a minority, work in seclusion one man army etc or not. cheers.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help Me Choose Which 5-Axis Capable CAM majority used by Hobbiests?

so my simple query is, which one paid version is mostly used by hobbiests? MasterCAM? GibbsCAM? SurfCAM?
    The number of hobbyists with 5 axis machines is infinitely small. And the number of those that can afford high end 5 axis cam is infinitely smaller. You're talking about software costing $10,000 or more.

Have you looked at Fusion 360?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The number of hobbyists with 5 axis machines is infinitely small. And the number of those that can afford high end 5 axis cam is infinitely smaller. You're talking about software costing $10,000 or more.
    Have you looked at Fusion 360?
    thanks for your reply.. i tried Fusion 360, but its only free for one year and for student. i'm not a student.

well thats why i'm planning and building 5-axis machine all the way from the beginning. i probably will need 2 or 3-axis work in most of my projects, but i want to extend the possibility to the max. there probably 6-axis machine out there, but its out of my head for now, and i believe 5-axis is adequate for most of the difficult if not impossible tasks. merely using $300-$500 machine build and the free Marlin FW. if i really desperate and cant make the 5th-axis for my machine, i can simply buy the 4th and 5th axis rig from aliexpress for another $250.

on CAM/SW/controller side, i think i can dive into the making of "free?" or cheap 2-3 figures price yearly subscription based 5-axis CAM, but it will be a daunting task that can take many many years. so for now i will give my hope on developers such as GrblGru et al, but they are still concentrating on lathe process, i never found one that even started to do 5-axis process. for now, i want my machine start building something 2 or 3-axis stuffs very quickly, maybe i will try out MasterCAM first..

Downloads
    Uploads

5 axis MasterCAM costs many times more than Fusion 360. Even basic MasterCAM is much more expensive than Fusion 360.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I was trained on MasterCam in the past (multi axis - Router Pro) and have used Rhino/RhinoCam Premium (also 5 axis) extensively. At the time MasterCam was $14,000 and RhinoCam Premium was $10,000, both very capable. What became obvious was the need for tight integration between CAD and CAM. MasterCam didn't have it (might now), RhinoCam did, world of difference. The market disruptor has been Fusion 360 that seamlessly does both. Given that Autodesk now owns Delcam (Powermill), there has been a steady trickle down effect of tech to the benefit of Fusion. As a hobbyist, you would benefit from the free version to get your head around the software, then when your ready to move into 5Ax, you could get a paid subscription and have a very capable software system for low annual expense. At that point, the only shortcoming would likely be your machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow would love to see some pictures of a diy hobby machine?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks ger21 and marv for fusion 360 suggestion. i try again to download the free version. last time istr it was a hassle with many verification process. boydage, my machine is linked in OP, 6040z frame bought from china aliexpress, i believe most people here already familiar with it. today is easy we dont have to cut wood and steel shaft from zero anymore, everything is ready made. or at least if i want to build bigger steel machine, i'll use my small 6040z to cut some steel slowly. 4th and 5th axis rig also sold in ali for not expensive price. the real deal here is the 5-axis CAM SW. if we already have 5-axis CAM at cheap or free price, i guess everybody in this forum will move to 5-axis HAAS alike machine long time ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    I was trained on MasterCam in the past (multi axis - Router Pro) and have used Rhino/RhinoCam Premium (also 5 axis) extensively. At the time MasterCam was $14,000 and RhinoCam Premium was $10,000, both very capable. What became obvious was the need for tight integration between CAD and CAM. MasterCam didn't have it (might now), RhinoCam did, world of difference. The market disruptor has been Fusion 360 that seamlessly does both. Given that Autodesk now owns Delcam (Powermill), there has been a steady trickle down effect of tech to the benefit of Fusion. As a hobbyist, you would benefit from the free version to get your head around the software, then when your ready to move into 5Ax, you could get a paid subscription and have a very capable software system for low annual expense. At that point, the only shortcoming would likely be your machine!
    Very good information in this post.I also trained on 5 axis Mastercam and appreciate it's capabilities,but then at that price it should be good.I have only used the 3 axis Rhinocam and that too was good,much better than I expected at the price point.One thing I would emphasise is that you really have to have an accurate idea of the tool length for 5 axis work as any difference between the actual length and the length used in the CAM system will cause dimensional errors.

Downloads
    Uploads

hy soasystem there is a cnc zone user, called shineworld : he is capable of building & configuring nc systems with custom cinematics, macros, etc; 5 axis is at his little finger

try to talk with him, maybe something happens / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...