What is the best 3D CAM Software? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What is the best 3D CAM software?

Voters
576. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catia

85 14.76%
  • Cimatron

36 6.25%
  • Esprit

47 8.16%
  • Mastercam

289 50.17%
  • One CNC

49 8.51%
  • Surfcam

70 12.15%
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best 3D CAM Software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rhinocam

I agree with The Nigerian. Rhino and Rhinocam allows my projects to flow out like water. No regrets, best $2500 I ever spent.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best 3D CAM Software?-100_2943-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been satisfied with Cadkey/Fastsurf/FScam. Do 3d wind tunnel models all the time and it works fine. About the same price as Autocad.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have friends working for several large and small companies doing injection molding, Tyco is one. They all use Solidworks or ProE. Expensive, $20K plus per seat, and they take a pro a year to learn, but do everything.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to answer the question, and like the other gentlemen I too feel that to be an accomplished programmer one needs to understand the programming language in its true form, which requires a mathematical thought pattern one which I myself do not posses but which some do. I think CAM and CAD software have made it possible for dummies like me to use my artistic mind and create tangible results using the platform created by those with a mathematical mind. So I guess the answer is yes the software should calculate the circular interpolation so that I dont have to.

It's not that serious.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think edge cam
    I drawing in autoad and transfer the draw in edge cam
    I work in adgecam 5 years with good results.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I been using Depocam, Mastercam and edgecam over the years.
    I prefere SolidCAM over them all.
    The reson is the HSM module gives same better toolpath quality than the other systems I have used + easy to use + strong CAD through SolidWorks.
    SolidCAM gives a powerfull solution while keping a easy to use interface.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's like that old story about the blind men and the elephant.
    Where ever you touch the beast is what you say it's like!!
    Every one wants to think that the choise they made was the best one and
    there software is better then all the rest. BUNK Different software is better at some things then others. It's like buying shoes, they have to fit!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UGS NX4.
    Been using UG for 16 years. Its had its problems,but has cut just about anything I can think of.
    Now using for press simulation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recommend to work with Powermill of Delcam, very good product, second place for Mastercam and Gibbscam.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I may stand alone but I like surfcam been using it for 7 years. Its hard to recommend and say as others did that one is better than then the other may depend on an application as it did for me. At the time I had delcam, mastercam and gibbs and possibly one other. As they walked threw my project Surcam came out on top(sparing thr particulars). Suggestion test each software with a demo and decide from there.
    JC

Downloads
    Uploads

Solid Edge is our main CAD and we use GibbsCam for CAM. Gibbs has demonstrated to us though that drawing and manipulating solids is great. At our R&D shop, we do molds and vacumm forming (among everyting else) and their are many things Gibbs can do faster and easier than Solid Edge. The combined two handles anything we need to do. Both are mid-priced. Bottom line is as what was mentioned in previous replies, you need to demo many until you find the right software to fit your needs and pocketbook. Good luck on your search.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My choice is SolidWorks/CAM. Worked on ProE and Catia also, but Solid kinda suits me better.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

pro-e can do anything but as others stated it's all about what you feel comfortable with. Mastercam is really good never let me down on 3d.
    Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseycnc View Post
    I may stand alone but I like surfcam been using it for 7 years. Its hard to recommend and say as others did that one is better than then the other may depend on an application as it did for me. At the time I had delcam, mastercam and gibbs and possibly one other. As they walked threw my project Surcam came out on top(sparing thr particulars). Suggestion test each software with a demo and decide from there.
    JC
    I have to agree, Surfcam is pretty strong in my book as well. I used it for several years before UG and it always did a good job. No, it's not perfect, but then none of them are. I always got good code with Surfcam and the verify agreed with what I got on the machine. Didn't need no separate program to verify the code. Now, if they'd re-do the interface a little, put the global undo in and make the posts easier to modify..........

Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think RouterCIM is the best for 3D because it works inside of AutoCAD.

Default Best 3D CAM ??

Well if you look at the postings so far, and in this short time, WorkNC has a fair number of votes. But it may suprise you to know that WorkNC users do not always shout about it, they think that by using it it gives them an advantage over the competion, if they can do paths that are quicker and more efficient PLUS Right first time and little fresh air cutting or gouging, it is worth the extra bit of cash, They can undercut the shop down the road and still make a profit

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Isn't this one of those questions that doesn't have a right or wrong answer? Best for me and best for someone else may be entirely two different things.

Personally the best 3d cad/cam system would be one that could take my thoughts and produce what my mind sees! That would be the easiest to use. On the other hand ease of use is probably directly related to time in the chair.

This thread and another has definately made me think some and I want to start another thread, related but different. I will come and edit a link in later.

Mike

the link

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...328#post327328

Last edited by turmite; 08-03-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: to add a link
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Powermill for me for 3D milling, after that Surfcam.

Default Delcant

Whatever rocks your boat, you must enjoy the overtime and long working hours it gives you.
    I presume that you joined a company that had it on site already, so you had no choice. you would be amazed at productivity gains that can be achieved by swapping, some of the Uk users will agree with me, after i showed then ANOTHER package, they especialy prefered Cimatron for Mould & die design, over the cad solution offered by your supplier.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My personal opinions on various cam software

I have personal experience with the following: (By experience I mean at least 6 months)

- Mastercam X and previous versions
    - Work NC
    - One CNC
    - Pro E
    - Edgecam
    - Surfcam
    - Powermill (By Delcam)

The question at hand is vague indeed, but there is a particular software that is better for particular applications... I will do a breakdown as best as I can..I'm trying not to make this too boring....

- Mastercam X and previous versions

Mastercam has made some great strides with the evolution of "X" Some major improvements with the complicated senarios, but my opinion is that its great for 2d applications but by no means is it the best software for any particular application. The tech support is poor for mastercam as well.
    I think a 3 axis seat of this is roughly 12K. I have no 5 axis experience with mastercam so I cannot comment on that topic.

- Work NC

Once you figure out the complications of simply loading a file this software can do some incredible things and really can make someone that has zero machining experience look like a 50 year veteran..By this I mean that this software is awesome for complex molds because of the automation it provides. In my opinion this is the best software for moldmaking and similar tasks. If you do much 2d machining stay away from this....it is far too cumbersome and aggravating for simplified applications...The price is about
    20K and the tech support is average.

- One CNC

This is a good product can do about anything, but not superior with any specific application. I really dont have a whole lot to say about this...It seems easy to use, but like I said not the best by any means. Im not sure on price.

- Pro E

Again a good product, I have done pretty much every application from complex form blocks to drilling simple die shoes...Somewhat cumbersome to use not top notch according to my standards.

- Edgecam

Ok this software is engineering by the old delcam guys...I like this for a few different reasons: The first is a user friendly control panel, also 2d apps seem to be really nice and drilling lots if different style holes particularly die shoes works flawlessly. It can sort tools by importance and is awesome for that sort of thing....It has decent 3d fuctionality, but is very slow with computations of complex math. 5 axis is really user friendly and is pretty impressive, but again it can be slow. Overall it is good software for an average shop not doing anything super complicated.. Price is about 10K to get you started..

- Surfcam

Anyone who has experience with this software should pretty much like it..Surfcam can do anything with ease..Doesnt have all of the bells and whistles and extra crap that boggs systems down. One downfall is the fact that it doesnt have an undo button..but thats minor compared to the speed and ease that is gained with many applications. The five axis side of surfcam is limited, but as far as two and three axis integration this the most efficient by all means. They have the patent on "true mill" which is phenomenal if used appropiately. The tool sorting was recently added which is a big plus. I really like this software and think it is the best choice for a shop that has a lot of 2d and 3d applications intertwined. This product can computate something very complex with tight precision settings with a quickness. I feel the 14K can be easily recovered in a short time and the tech support in the Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky region is is unequaled. I am an expert (loosely) with the post processors for Surfcam so if any of you need help with a post for surfcam let me know.

- Powermill (By Delcam)

Obviously by my name you can tell I like Delcam products. These products have awesome engineering backing them up..Powermill offers more than any software Ive seen with customization. I feel that for someone who has a solid machining background and really knows where they need to go with cutter paths and tool control this would be it. Powermill is lacking in the 2d area as far as ease of integration, but they are fully aware of most of their issues and are currently implementing fixes. For complicated 3d tasks this is bar none the best software. Multiaxes side is really nice and offers lots of extras with any task. Most effective when used with Powershape but the PS Exchange allows tons of different file importations. Hands down the best software for complicated applications for example: Complicated die details form block etc...Ive used this for extremely complex special instrumentation and component replacement in the medical field.

Sorry I got a little out of control on this guys and remember these are just my views Im not trying to knock any of these down.

So In conclusion

Work NC-----------Best in Moldmaking because of the automation
    Surfcam-----------Best for the majority of tool shops...Extremely efficient
    Powermill----------Best for the Professional that needs lots of control

There is no one software that is best for everything. So if I could team up two products to use hand in hand, it would be Surfcam and Powershape.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast