GRBLGRU looks great BUT...

Thread: GRBLGRU looks great BUT...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default GRBLGRU looks great BUT...

I have been trying to use this with my 3018 and also in simulation mode. When I import a DXF it lands very far from the "home" position. See attachment (pls excuse the wild colors Dont know where they came from) my DXF is circled in white. How can I make it land in a position condusive to working with it?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GRBLGRU looks great BUT...-example-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GRBLGRU looks great BUT...

I know nothing about GRBLGRU but suspect that your problem may be connected with the units used.Is there a G20 or a G21 at the start of your program?I have seen similar screenshots when an Imperial file has been imported into a piece of software that defaults to metric.When you open your .dxf,how far from 0,0 is the lower left corner?With any luck a GRBLGRU expert will be along to swiftly get to the root of the matter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for trying GrblGru.

Sorry, my documentation is not yet optimal, but I am working on it.
    But on my website you can download a manual and on my Youtube channel you can find a lot of videos.

If you have loaded a dxf file, you should first select your reference point in the right mouse context menu of the 2D view. Then you only have to press the button "Origin" in the 3D view.
    After that the tip of your tool should touch the reference point.

Unfortunately I cannot say anything about your colors.But I think this has nothing to do with GrblGru.

Please contact me if you have further questions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GRBLGRU looks great BUT...-pic1-jpg   GRBLGRU looks great BUT...-pic2-jpg  
    Free program download at www.GrblGru.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately I cannot say anything about your colors.But I think this has nothing to do with GrblGru.

No the color problem is strange but not related to GbrlGru. In fact it does it with other copy paste into Microsoft paint.
    I will try your suggestions and let you know.

As you may have assumed I am a newbie when it comes to CNC.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I think you have the cause of my problem.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

OK here is what I have done
    1. Zeroed XYZ of virtual machine to lower left corner.
    2. Zeroed XYZ to that position .
    3. Tried loading DXF file just a drawing of a square. 50.8 mm.
    4 pressed origin button
    Nothing changed.... Also tried same process with Gcode file (.NC)... Sorry again for the colors

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GRBLGRU looks great BUT...-oct-28-20-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you open the file that you are hoping to cut-using Wordpad or similar-and paste the first fifteen or so lines here?The clue may lie there,either by way of a G54 or a G20/G21.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the Gcode for 2mm square DXF drawing.

( Made using CamBam - CamBam CNC Software )
    ( METRIC 10/28/2020 1:08:43 PM )
    ( Post-pro: GRBL )
    ( T0 : 8.0 )
    G21 G90 G40
    G0 Z3.0
    ( T0 : 8.0 )
    T0 M6
    ( Profile1 )
    G17
    M3 S1000
    G0 X373.41 Y199.52
    G0 Z1.4
    G1 F300.0 Z0.0
    G1 F800.0 X424.21
    G3X428.21Y203.52I0.0J4.0
    G1 Y254.32
    G3X424.21Y258.32I-4.0J0.0
    G1 X373.41
    G3X369.41Y254.32I0.0J-4.0
    G1 Y203.52
    G3X373.41Y199.52I4.0J0.0
    G0 Z3.0
    M5
    M30

This is the complete file. Also tried running on Candle and Universal Gcode sender with same results. If I could just make workpiece and Tool Bit line up at 0,0,0 without the long diagonal movement running I would be happy.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited by Qbubbawm4mm; 10-29-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: additional inbfo

Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I would load DXF file in case someone cares to try using the gcode generator and their GrblGru.Quiet honestly I cant believe I am so stupid. While I am a hardware type I also program in C++ and others. All I want to do is use this small machine to cut out RC airplane parts and if it works well finish my 48"x48" machine.

Thanks
    Mike
    Quiincy Fl

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Qbubbawm4mm; 10-29-2020 at 02:30 PM. Reason: forgot file

Downloads
    Uploads

G0 X373.41 Y199.52
    I looked up the specs of a 3018 and read dimensions of 300 x 180 with a cutting area slightly less than the machine dimensions.
    Is your machine larger ?

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I looked up the specs of a 3018 and read dimensions of 300 x 180 with a cutting area slightly less than the machine dimensions.
    Is your machine larger ?
    Yep not the smallest but next to it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Any particular reason why you have created a rectangle that lies totally outside the working envelope of the machine?I know nothing of making a machine move with Arduino based systems,but it does seem fundamental that the part needs to be within the limits of the machine's travel.I can see two ways of making it work:move the part within the boundaries of the machine or find a control suite that allows you to use a location within the limits of the machine and the coordinates of the part .With my hobby machine running LinuxCNC I can move the tool to a point near the workpiece and tell the controller the approximate part coordinate in X,Y and Z and as long as the excess material I have allowed is sufficient to allow the part to emerge from the block,the controller applies an offset.It does so by using a G54 offset to accommodate the part location and I note that your sample program doesn't have a G54 in the header.

The example posted by GRBLGRU shows a shape with the datum at it's centre and this is quite common.It also seems that the datum could be at any corner of the workpiece.Does the datum selection process allow you to input values in X and Y for such features if they are outside the machine envelope?If the answer isn't known,it has to be simpler to draw your sample square at a more convenient location-having the centre point in the centre of the table might be a simple option which I assume would be 150,90.Nothing else in the sample program looks odd.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no knowledge of grblgru but some experience with grbl and senders.
    The concepts in linuxcnc and grbl are the same. There are:
    Machine xyz coordinates which are set by homing the machine (if there are no switches machine x0,y0,z0 is where ever the machine sits at power up)
    And the work piece xyz coordinates that are offset some distance from machine xyz coordinates
    G54 is active by default and is stored in memory if the machine is powered down.

A bit of junk code to outside cut a 1mm square with 2mm tool. The work piece x0,y0 is the bottom left of the square, (this is the offset called by G54):
    Code:
    G54      (it's the default but included to make sure)
    G21      (working in metric)
    G00 X-1  Y-1   Z0.1
    G01 z-1 F500
    Y2
    X2
    Y-1
    X-1
    Z0.1   
    M2
    Having the square so far from the WPOS (could be read as Work POSition or Work Piece OffSet) would make more sense if the job looks like this picture:
    GRBLGRU looks great BUT...-grbl_fc-jpeg

btw if you want to see value off all the offsets the grbl command is:
    $#
    too see the active gcodes:
    $G
    to see machine position in relation to machine origin:
    ?

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=routalot;2410794]Any particular reason why you have created a rectangle that lies totally outside the working envelope of the machine?I

I did not intentionally create the drawing outside the boundary. I drew the piece on several different Cad programs. Converted to Gcode with CamBam loaded the code to GrblGru, Candle Universal Gcode Sender. All land the workpiece outside machine boundary.

So thats all I can say
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

btw if you want to see value off all the offsets the grbl command is:
    $#
    too see the active gcodes:
    $G
    to see machine position in relation to machine origin:
    ?[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Maybe CamBam is the problem I will try a different generator to see today.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Qbubbawm4mm View Post
    I did not intentionally create the drawing outside the boundary. Sender. All land the workpiece outside machine boundary.
    Oh I misunderstood the problem. This image shows work piece position being defined in FreeCad
    It's a program to cut a square.
    GRBLGRU looks great BUT...-freecad_origin_scaled-jpg
    Cambam will have something similar. I looked at Cambam years ago and found the terminology used a bit non-standard.

edit/ this website's software needs some fixing

Downloads
    Uploads

As I'm building a 3018 from the ground up with upgraded specs but mainly for a fun exercise to see what it can do after it's beefed up, I'm going to go with Mach3......GRBL is too different to re-learn on.
    Ian.

Question Re: GRBLGRU looks great BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    Thanks for trying GrblGru.

Sorry, my documentation is not yet optimal, but I am working on it.
    But on my website you can download a manual and on my Youtube channel you can find a lot of videos.
    I'm sorry, if I write to wrong thread, but I will have later a big problem, if you can't help with me this now.
    (I'm rebuilding my lathe to CNC version).

I'm going to make threads (My lathe) with: Arduino Uno grbl 1.1 & Latest beta version of grblgru.

Everything goes nice, UNTIL, (what I see on debug window) gru sends command G52 Y0 after a few
    threading pass. Then I get error:20 (can't get rid of any settings). If I let program to continue, blade will
    go somewhere middle of threading and continue there.

What to do? Problem with Uno grbl or gru?

And an one thing more, when I use Y for spindle, you should add spindle run for that, when manufacturing
    ie. candle holder

Downloads
    Uploads

@Qbubbawm4m
    I'm not sure if you have fixed the problem by now.
    To be on the safe side, I made you a video where I can load your DXF file without errors.

@JOKaija
    I must confess that I haven't made threads for a long time. Please give me a little time so that I can check this once.
    As soon as I have found something I will report in my thread.

@All
    If somebody has questions, ideas for improvements or criticism, please use my thread
    "GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes" in this forum. I get a message when a new post arrives and can react accordingly.

Free program download at www.GrblGru.com

Everything works fine now. GRBL board was the problem, since it didn't regognize G52 command.
    I just made a little modification for grbl1.1h and it will accept G52 now as dummy command.

Anyway. I'm going to make a cheap ATC system (prototype working already) and after that we have
    to get HOMING button & Tool selection for that. Do you have time to add those to your grblgru software?

Editing cgode file with text editor for that is cave man thing...

My ATC grbl code works fine with Arduino UNO, Arduino Mega, but NOT with Woodpecker board. It just don't have
    enough code space for grbl1.1h + ATC extension. Thanks to original grbl code size, which seems to coded without
    brains (no good optimizing)...

https://www.facebook.com/YeastedATC/