Help with tool and toolpath selection for university CAM projects

Thread: Help with tool and toolpath selection for university CAM projects

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Help with tool and toolpath selection for university CAM projects

Hi,

I need to select tools and toolpaths for the theoretical machining an aluminium component of stock dimensions 121x121x55 mm. I am on the roughing stage at the moment. We are meant to be using Powermill to verify our solution, but I cannot access the software as it is only available on university computers, so I cannot verify that my strategy will work. We are limited to SECO tools. For roughing, I am planning on using a 25 mm diameter by 50 mm depth serrated 3 flute bull nose (I think because it has a corner radius of 0.5mm) endmill 490VXL250R050Z3.0A-MEGA-TW, in combination with a HSM toolpath. I am planning to follow this up with "rest machining" with a smaller diameter endmill to get the details. I have read that a stepover of 65% of the cutting diameter is good. I am unsure what stepdown I should use.

Could someone verify the selections I have made, and suggest a stepdown depth? This setup doesn't have to be the optimum for roughing, just a decent solution that could work.
    The component also has features like 6mm diameter hemispheres on the surface that I think a small ball end mill would be good for? We're meant to use 5 axis milling as well, which i think would be used for later processes like the chamfers and drilling the holes in the side, unless it can be incorporated into the HSM roughing as well?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I am very new to milling..

Thanks,

C

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with tool and toolpath selection for university CAM projects

Also i forgot to mention what should i consider when selecting feed/speeds?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with tool and toolpath selection for university CAM projects

if you are a student, i give you an A+ ... you deserve it

This setup doesn't have to be the optimum for roughing, just a decent solution that could work
    if you wish to become a manager, think of subcontracting : pass this to the best student in your class, or to someone else who is in top 3, and say that you work in pairs, just say something, about you doing your part well

go to the powermill forum, and ask for a simulation ... unfortunately, i can't help you with that

Also i forgot to mention what should i consider when selecting feed/speeds?
    in alu you may go easily twice as fast as in steel, and sometimes even 3x-5x ... depends

get the cutting specs from the seco website ...do you need help ? if you wish, i may share a few specs, but not from seco ... considering that you use seco tools, maybe is a good idea to search on their site

you get speed and feed from the site; ap & ae ( lateral and depth engagement ) depending on your fixture rigidity and machine rigidity, thus how strong are you clamping that part, and how much hp your spindle has

also, there are persons that rough hard as it could be, and others that like to go smooth, so to avoid sending vibrations inside their machines

for ap & ae, i need to see the fixture, and the machine .... too much so, just use 20mm depth ( <1D, thus less than 25, for rigidity ), and 0.75 lateral + hsm

ok, now go fast for those cheerleaders ... read this again after 20 years, thus arround 2040

please, feel free to ask whatever you wish / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...