Unigraphics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unigraphics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Unigraphics

How come there isn't a forum for UG users?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_M. View Post
    How come there isn't a forum for UG users?
    Dunno, Rob, I guess there just aren't that many users. I've posted about it from time to time, but not much mention. I went from Surfcam to NX3 about a year and a half ago, and now we've just gottem NX5. Just when I was starting to get around in NX4!

I think there are a couple folks around here and at Practical Machinist who have lots of experience with UG.

Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cammotion View Post
    Dunno, Rob, I guess there just aren't that many users. I've posted about it from time to time, but not much mention. I went from Surfcam to NX3 about a year and a half ago, and now we've just gottem NX5. Just when I was starting to get around in NX4!

I think there are a couple folks around here and at Practical Machinist who have lots of experience with UG.
    Well at least I know I'm not alone now :-)

Practical Machinist? is that another machinist forum?

I've been using UG for about 5 years or so, we are still using NX4. We have NX5, just haven't really gotten around to using it, especially when we just got used to using 4 :-).

Downloads
    Uploads

Well at least I know I'm not alone now :-)

Practical Machinist? is that another machinist forum?

I've been using UG for about 5 years or so, we are still using NX4. We have NX5, just haven't really gotten around to using it, especially when we just got used to using 4 :-).
    Yeah, It's got some knowledgeable folks like this site does. Some of the folks here are there too. http://www.cnczone.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi

I just started getting used to NX4 and we switched. My boss likes to have the latest and greatest. One thing that was supposed to be made easier was the "non-cutting" moves page. I never really understood that well. I just used a lot of default manual settings, and typed in numbers to get the tool to a safe height so that the 5th axis wouldn't rotate your part into the cutter. Now, in NX5 that's been re-done with an all new look, and I've been trying to get into it. It's supposed to work right out the box, when you set up the geometry group. I still want to know that it's gonna get the tool out of the way!! Hope others will chime in on this.

Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cammotion View Post
    Yeah, It's got some knowledgeable folks like this site does. Some of the folks here are there too. http://www.cnczone.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi

I just started getting used to NX4 and we switched. My boss likes to have the latest and greatest. One thing that was supposed to be made easier was the "non-cutting" moves page. I never really understood that well. I just used a lot of default manual settings, and typed in numbers to get the tool to a safe height so that the 5th axis wouldn't rotate your part into the cutter. Now, in NX5 that's been re-done with an all new look, and I've been trying to get into it. It's supposed to work right out the box, when you set up the geometry group. I still want to know that it's gonna get the tool out of the way!! Hope others will chime in on this.
    I might try using NX5 in the next few days. We have sort of a slow period so that'll give me a good chance to try it. I was excited when it came out cause I've been wanting to use plunge milling, but they still haven't fixed it. I don't know what they were thinking when they first did it, the paths don't even make sense.

Practical machinist looks cool, I'm going to go check it out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

iam using nx4 for designing my parts and part programing but i need some help here , i neet a moldwizard tutorial an i need a guide to show me how to use post builder ...............thanks alot

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey guys im rather new to here but i am fairly familiar with unigraphics nx4 as well as nx5but was curious if anyone could help me. does anyone have or know where i can get a post processor for a FADAL 4020HT? or generic post processor for a fadal that might work with my machine? the way my old company used to do it was to output the code from ug to a .clsf file and then he used a generic post processor for a fadal to turn the code to a .nc file i assume and then used a dnc program to dripfeed the file to the cnc mill. either way. does anyone knows about where to get the fadal post processor for the fadal which should be a .pui .def and .tcl file i believe for unigraphics (needs all 3 to work i guess). or where to get a generic post processor that will turn a .clsf or .cls to .nc for my fadal. any information would be greatly appreciated however BTW its a 3 axis. thanks in advance. i do not have access to GTAC anymore so i cant look on the site and just grab one i need

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can get some online tutorials for NX at www.myigetit.com. They have tutorials for CAD, CAM, Assemblies and even Post Builder. I have been using NX for a long long time. You can still output a .cls file and continue to use the "old" postprocessors. All you need to do is click on the the Output .clsf icon.

Why don't you have access to GTAC?

John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Postprocessor for Fadal

Hello carbonraptor,

You need only .tcl and .def file to post a file. pui file is used by post builder. send me a mail and i can supply you any post required by you.

kulkarni@blmm.lk

ananth kulkarni
    Sr.Design Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by carbonraptor View Post
    hey guys im rather new to here but i am fairly familiar with unigraphics nx4 as well as nx5but was curious if anyone could help me. does anyone have or know where i can get a post processor for a FADAL 4020HT? or generic post processor for a fadal that might work with my machine? the way my old company used to do it was to output the code from ug to a .clsf file and then he used a generic post processor for a fadal to turn the code to a .nc file i assume and then used a dnc program to dripfeed the file to the cnc mill. either way. does anyone knows about where to get the fadal post processor for the fadal which should be a .pui .def and .tcl file i believe for unigraphics (needs all 3 to work i guess). or where to get a generic post processor that will turn a .clsf or .cls to .nc for my fadal. any information would be greatly appreciated however BTW its a 3 axis. thanks in advance. i do not have access to GTAC anymore so i cant look on the site and just grab one i need

Ananth Kulkarni
    THE GREATEST OAK WAS ONCE A NUT WHO HELD ITS GROUND

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

hallo to everybody
    I am happy today because i have discovered this community and joined at once.
    I am amateur in cnc things and hope with your help to have more happy moments
    on my projects http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey there,

Thought I'd raise my hand as another NX CAM user, supporter.

Cammotion, the best option is a conscientious programmer. Setting your clearance plane at the max distance on the part from the rotation point + your normal clearance value. (I'm a daredevil, so I usually use an automatic clearance of about 5mm). I do have a customer asking me to build a safe move into the post for 4th axis moves that will return home (G28 Z0) any time the 4th axis moves at RAPID. I can post the modified proc if you like. I still think option 1 is the best.

Rob, I'm using plunge milling in 5.0.4, and it seems to be working pretty good. I'm even able to use it for vertical finishing. (like a zig path, but on a vertical wall.) Can you elaborate on the problems you're having? The logic is a bit odd to get used to. Essentially, imagine a zig-zag, follow part, or even a profile path on the top of the blank. Then, based on your parameters, every so often along that path the tool plunges toward the part, stopping at the stock value away from the part.

Carbon, all of the Fadal posts on the customer download site are created from the Fadal template in postbuilder. If you select, "New Post" Mill, 3 Axis, and "Library" for the controller, you can select the Fadal template. All you have to enter are the machine specific parameters (travel limits, max speed & feed, etc..)
    As long as you have a current license for NX, you can get a WEbkey ID which gets you access to GTAC, Support, and the Post library. All you need is your Site ID, which can be found under Help -> About NX -> System Information. (also found in "Capture Incedent Report Data", and in the "NX Log File" options under "Help").

Be Well

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong!"
    T Briggs (CAM dude) - Siemens PLM Software

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fellow UG CAM Users

Hello,
    I have been using UG Cam for over 10 years now. Just switched to NX5.
    I will make every effort to seek and provide useful knowledge to this forum.
    Right now I'm just short of postal over UG infamous non-cutting moves. The problem I discovered today has prompted me to seek some form of self medication. Trying to threadmill using a helix curve and use fixed contour/curve point drive method. This works well as far as driving the cutter where I need ti to go, but I cant seem to get the cutter to simply start at the beginning of the helix and lift at the end even if I set every option to none. I want to set initial to a control point at the bottom of the helix (Thread milling bottom up) at the center of the hole and move strait to the beginning of the helix. It still wants to arc ramp in the z axis. Then when it reaches the top of the helix it puts a straight feed move the shortest distance from the top of the helix back to the bottom (Start Point). I have also had this set to where it appeared to work properly on the first generate and then give something different on the second generate.

(ALL THIS BEFORE I POST TO CAMPLETE FOR USE ON A MIKRON UPC600VARIO 5TH AXIS MACHINE)

If your remotely curious about my previous helical ramping in Fixed contour problem check out IR6068970 at GTAC. It has been upgraded to a full blown Priority 1 PR6068970.
    OO-oooooooo that and 50 cents still wont get a cup of coffee. That's ok because by the time we go NX6 they will have completely rewritten the software to add that extra functionality that we all cant live with out and I'm sure Ill lose more of my sanity as UG get crappier and crappier.

Going slowly insane

Mongo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mongo46538 View Post
    Hello,
    I have been using UG Cam for over 10 years now. Just switched to NX5.
    I will make every effort to seek and provide useful knowledge to this forum.
    Right now I'm just short of postal over UG infamous non-cutting moves. The problem I discovered today has prompted me to seek some form of self medication. Trying to threadmill using a helix curve and use fixed contour/curve point drive method. This works well as far as driving the cutter where I need ti to go, but I cant seem to get the cutter to simply start at the beginning of the helix and lift at the end even if I set every option to none. I want to set initial to a control point at the bottom of the helix (Thread milling bottom up) at the center of the hole and move strait to the beginning of the helix. It still wants to arc ramp in the z axis. Then when it reaches the top of the helix it puts a straight feed move the shortest distance from the top of the helix back to the bottom (Start Point). I have also had this set to where it appeared to work properly on the first generate and then give something different on the second generate.

(ALL THIS BEFORE I POST TO CAMPLETE FOR USE ON A MIKRON UPC600VARIO 5TH AXIS MACHINE)

If your remotely curious about my previous helical ramping in Fixed contour problem check out IR6068970 at GTAC. It has been upgraded to a full blown Priority 1 PR6068970.
    OO-oooooooo that and 50 cents still wont get a cup of coffee. That's ok because by the time we go NX6 they will have completely rewritten the software to add that extra functionality that we all cant live with out and I'm sure Ill lose more of my sanity as UG get crappier and crappier.

Going slowly insane

Mongo

Sounds like you are having fun. I switched to NX6 from NX4 just a few months ago. Now that I have gotten used to the non-cutting moves I have actually found them to be better than NX4. It actually seems much easier to control my engages and retracts.

i don't know how much NX5 differs from NX6 but what you are describing is exactly what I've been doing for the past week. I guess the difference is that I am having success with it. I will say the one thing that I did notice was that when I had my cutter defined as a "thread-mill", I was having problems with it driving the helix correctly. I then defined my cutter as a "T-cutter" and then it worked correctly. Maybe something for you to try, or perhaps you have. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NX6

NX6 may be the ticket....I like the NX5 interface better than 4 but I need to get it to behave. So far it had been an inprovement until this...

Ill keep you posted

mongo

Last edited by mongo46538; 12-19-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spllng

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone, I used I-DEAS for more than ten years, starting with I-DEAS 7 and going all the way to I-DEAS 12 NX ... now I just switch to NX6 and it looks good, but I have to admint that I still go back to I-DEAS for the more complex parts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca70 View Post
    Hi everyone, I used I-DEAS for more than ten years, starting with I-DEAS 7 and going all the way to I-DEAS 12 NX ... now I just switch to NX6 and it looks good, but I have to admint that I still go back to I-DEAS for the more complex parts
    I-DEAS? I know that's part of Siemens but is that CAD/CAM software? I've always wondered what that was.

Downloads
    Uploads

I-DEAS? I know that's part of Siemens but is that CAD/CAM software? I've always wondered what that was.
    well... I-deas is a wonderful CAD program, with a very nice CAM and more than that it can do FEM analysys and mechanism simulation and.... just ALL you can ask to a computer software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca70 View Post
    well... I-deas is a wonderful CAD program, with a very nice CAM and more than that it can do FEM analysys and mechanism simulation and.... just ALL you can ask to a computer software
    Doesn't UG do all that as well? Or is IDEAS like a cheaper version, kind of like Solid Edge?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Solution So Far

Perhaps you should start an I-Deas Thread.:rainfro:

OK Back to UG NX5
    Draw a Helix (Curve) of the desired pitch and length and make the helix dia the major Thread dia minus the cutter (Thread Mill) cutter dia. (So Far my thread mills are single point 3-4 flute barrel cutters.) Place a center line down the middle at the beginning of the helix and the end and use it as your tool axis vector. Use Fixed Contour / Point Curve as your drive / Pick the bottom of the helix as it protrudes through the bottom of the hole. This will make your tool path start at the bottom and run positive in Z, this keeps the cutter climb milling and makes for less burrs. Non Cutting Moves ENGAGE / Open Area / Engage Type / Plunge / 200% / Against Part~Check / None / Inital / Point (Pick bottom point of drawn line) / Effective distance / None.......Then for RETRACT / Open Area / Lift / 200% / Against Part~Check / None / Final / Lift / 200% ......

For a double lead transform the helix about the line 180 and make a copy of the first op and reselect the opposite helix as your drive curve.

If you want to get fancy, make the helix associative in Length / Pitch and Diameter and you could adjust every aspect and repost. Make one and do an Object / Transform / Instance for other threaded holes and adjust them all with one adjustment in the Expression Table.

You may still have trouble with the tool making a straight line from the end of the helix to the beginning point after running the helix and right before the final retract....Not good!

OK Enjoy

Last edited by mongo46538; 12-20-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: splling

Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't UG do all that as well? Or is IDEAS like a cheaper version, kind of like Solid Edge?
    cheaper version?? not at all... as far as I know it was one of the more expensive IDEAS and UG were two separate things... then they joined together to form NX ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast