Newbie What is the best way to learn how to optimize a CAM program's parameters?

Thread: What is the best way to learn how to optimize a CAM program's parameters?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question What is the best way to learn how to optimize a CAM program's parameters?

What is the best way to learn how to optimize a CAM programs parameters? Are there textbooks on optimizing CAM software parameters? I am looking for commentary on every parameter a piece of CAM software would have. Mastercam's tutorials, for example, do not go into detail at all about the why behind a parameters. The help file will only give a one line explanation. CAD is something else entirely, you can experiment with functions and figure things out that way and there are much more textbooks on the subject. Why are there next to no CAM textbooks...?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Michael_Karvovski; 06-16-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What is the best way to learn how to optimize a CAM program's parameters?

The reason for no textbooks is that every CAM program is different. Most CAM software has tutorials available, but sometimes the explanations are a bit lacking. Normally the way I do it is to set up what I think will work then run a simulation to see if the toolpath is what I want. Then change the parameters and run another simulation to see what changed. Sometimes you have to trick the program into doing what you want, depending on the software.

If you're asking about feeds and speeds, there are too many variables to give even general rules. You can get guidelines from the tooling manufacturers catalogs, but those guidelines generally apply to rigid, high HP machines. If you machine(s) doesn't fit that criteria then you have to make adjustments for feed, speed, DOC, and step over.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA