Help required producing usable Gcode files for CNC engraver - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help required producing usable Gcode files for CNC engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help required producing usable Gcode files for CNC engraver

Straight away this is better; it is using the correct units (or at least is sized correctly) and all the text is there; obviously no tool retraction but I can see that it worked way better

did you you do anything to make the sizing issue go away?

Cheers

Les

Downloads
    Uploads

That is strange, it looks like it is transposing X and Z for the tool retraction, G0 X0.5 should be G0 Z0.5 I may have set up that post processor for lathe work when I was doing some testing. I never use Mach3 so sometimes I play around with that post processor. Glad you caught that.

No, I did nothing for the units or sizing. It's set up to default to Imperial units.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, thanks - I wonder why my setup got its drawers in a twist over the units? I will have to try and stick to one or the other, and in Autosketch (used for the original dxf files) I could switch between the two easily, so the electronics were done with that.

Qcad looks like a modern alternative, not as easy to use to be sure but I'll have to get over that

Thanks again for the help

Les

Downloads
    Uploads

It was a post processor setting, I had it set for the Clearance Plane = X rather than Z

Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

strange, all the curves have become irregular polygons, at least once on UGS

Something on my PC maybe?

Les

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help required producing usable Gcode files for CNC engraver-screenshot-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

No, it's not your PC, it's the way the arcs are set up in the post. There are several different ways of describing an arc in G code, and the method that I chose in the post is apparently not compatible with your program.

There may be a switch in your program that would correct the display, but the best way is to set up the post to be compatible with the default setting that you need.

If you start with the CB file and then in the lower left pane click Machining, and go to the Arc Center Mode and select default it may be correct. Then repost the file.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

got it, thanks. I'm using Universal Gcode Sender at the moment, but I'm open to any suggestions if there is better out there. I tried GRBL Candle, which worked once, then never worked again, plus a couple of others that seemed to be finecky to set up for my application and hardware, but UGS seemed to be pretty good so I stuck with it

Cheers

Les

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lesthegringo View Post
    got it, thanks. I'm using Universal Gcode Sender at the moment, but I'm open to any suggestions if there is better out there. I tried GRBL Candle, which worked once, then never worked again, plus a couple of others that seemed to be finecky to set up for my application and hardware, but UGS seemed to be pretty good so I stuck with it

Cheers

Les
    Sorry, can't help you there. I either use my local network, a USB stick, or the cloud to transfer the files to my machines. All of my machines also have CAD and CAM right on the machine computer so I can create, edit, and post files directly to a folder then from there open the NC file in the CNC program.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Les,

Is the first DXF file you posted the one you intend to use finally. I don't see any lettering/words in it. Also, what are the overall X and Y limits of the drawing (in inches and/or mm)?

I'm comparing some of the stuff because I haven't before.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

It was actually an initial trial file to help set up my cnc router and get me familiarised with the whole process, and it was basically a superimposition of a PCB diagram that I want to engrave that goes behind a fascia panel with the engraved lettering. The later one is with the text included because my first attempts with another program would crash when the lettering was added. After I started using Qcad I could reinstate the lettering

I was asked to start with the CB file and then in the lower left pane click Machining, and go to the Arc Center Mode and select default, I need to do that tonight after work to see if that helps.

Cheers for all the assistance guys

Downloads
    Uploads

So I have been having a play around, basically going back to basics to try and iron out any errors creeping in by using a new file and being rigorous with drawing units, plus only introducing text in Qcad.

All looks better, and the CamBam file shows the four boxes of text I've put in, but for some reason when I open the gcode file in Universal gcode sender, one set of text is missing plus a load of other bits and pieces. Is it possible that the trial version of CamBam is cutting out some of the entities due to it not being the full version?

Can you guys take a look and see if the gcode file works?

Cheers

Les

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lesthegringo View Post
    So I have been having a play around, basically going back to basics to try and iron out any errors creeping in by using a new file and being rigorous with drawing units, plus only introducing text in Qcad.

All looks better, and the CamBam file shows the four boxes of text I've put in, but for some reason when I open the gcode file in Universal gcode sender, one set of text is missing plus a load of other bits and pieces. Is it possible that the trial version of CamBam is cutting out some of the entities due to it not being the full version?

Can you guys take a look and see if the gcode file works?

Cheers

Les

I tested the gcode output by machining a test piece, and can confirm much much better results. I still have to overcome some basic zeroing issues within UGS, but what was displayed by UGS ended up on the test piece verbatim.

I also looked at the gcode file in .txt form while the test piece was in progress to kill the time and noticed near the end it says (gcode truncated)

Im guessing that despite there in theory being a short period for trial use of CamBam, this is not allowing the full gcode to be produced. I would like to confirm that it is the case though, I don't want to spend 150 euros just to find that it a problem with the program

Cheers

Les

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast