Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?


Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Danmark
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Hi all,

    Partly due to being a newbie I am using Estlcam to do my CNC millings, and I would be very interested in finding a way to either:

    1.: “cheat” Estlcam so that I can make something like the attached shape. Not exactly this shape but the idea is to be able to mill vertically into the material in a double-curvature way. The end mill to use would be something like this with a shank (much) smaller than the spherical mill itself thus allowing for some "side-ways" milling depth:

    https://www.google.dk/search?q=ball+...cuwoZKxB7zFZM:

    The material will be wood so the spherical end mill needs only be reasonably strong/rigid/tough.

    ... or ...

    2.: find a free/price-wise very accessible software which can make the relevant g-codes - which may then subsequently be imported into Estlcam.


    Some have suggested two-sided milling – but this will not really solve the challenge as it still doesn’t allow for milling vertically into the material … I hope you can visualize this …

    The main “issue” I guess is that Estlcam does not allow for an end mill of this type. However, I hope there may be a way to make it work with such a spherical end mill.


    Might any of you know how this can be done?

    Thanks for reading and maybe suggesting

    Jesper

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?-shape-jpg  


  2. #2
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    32963
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Some have suggested two-sided milling – but this will not really solve the challenge as it still doesn’t allow for milling vertically into the material … I hope you can visualize this …
    If you need to mill into the top, do it as a separate operation after the 2 sided milling.

    Unless the object is really small, what you are proposing will not work, as those tool do not ten to be very large, so wouldn't be able to cut deep enough without hitting the shank.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  3. #3
    *Registered User* Baraukarda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Thumbs up Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by evalon View Post
    ... or ...

    2.: find a free/price-wise very accessible software which can make the relevant g-codes - which may then subsequently be imported into Estlcam.


    Some have suggested two-sided milling – but this will not really solve the challenge as it still doesn’t allow for milling vertically into the material … I hope you can visualize this …

    The main “issue” I guess is that Estlcam does not allow for an end mill of this type. However, I hope there may be a way to make it work with such a spherical end mill.
    Hi, you can use Fusion 360 for the generation of g-codes for EstlCam. You will need to download the postprocesor for GRBL, but it does exist already in the Fusion 360 postp online gallery. I have used this softwares for maybe 2 years on a MPCNC without any complains.



  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8797
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you need to mill into the top, do it as a separate operation after the 2 sided milling.

    Unless the object is really small, what you are proposing will not work, as those tool do not ten to be very large, so wouldn't be able to cut deep enough without hitting the shank.
    You can get these Burrs up to 1" diameter so don't think that would be the problem, I have some 1/2" and 5/8" they work really well

    Here is one supplier

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?-ball-shape-burs-jpg  
    Mactec54


  5. #5
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    32963
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    That still only gets you a 3/8" undercut.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  6. #6
    Gold Member Bob La Londe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1858
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    I look at that part and think 4 axis. It just makes the most sense. You can use an indexer or rotary table and turn it manually if a true 4th axis is out of your range. If I take the time to index off the part properly it comes out pretty good. For a part like you show I might index off an indicated centered rod, then 3 axes mill the part in 6 setups. 4 might work if speed is the most important thing, but 6 tends to match up better.

    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com


  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Danmark
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Hi all,

    & thanks so much for your feedbacks. Reading your replies I realize that I probably should have been more specific with the 3D shape I attached so that it more precisely resembled what I will actually be milling. However, my main purpose was to give an idea of the curvatures I would like to mill, i.e. double curvatures into the material - from the side.

    As it is the actual shape to be milled is rather big: Some 430mmx300mmx120mm ... which is also why I am looking for a software solution so that the shape may remain fixed in place - and preferably with only "one" milling process. Also, I do not need these "going into the side curvatures" to be very deep - likely 3/8" is enough. Otherwise I would try to find a tool maker that can make a larger diameter ball end as, again, the material will be wood so it need not be that rigid/strong.

    @Baraukarda: Fusion 360 could be an option, however, since eventually I am hoping to start a company - and already have the 3D modeling software I prefer working with - I would rather not start learning Fusion 360 as I am unlikely to subsequently buy it ... But thanks for the suggestion ;-)

    @Bob La Londe: ... 4 axis sounds intriguing but would it work in practice with the sizes I listed just above? The 4 axis machines I have seen usually use a small rotational axis which I doubt could work with these size shapes ... Or might I be mistaken here

    @mactec54: ... Sounds interesting what you are doing - can you say a bit about how you make it work in practice (CAM software?)?


    Have a good day to you all,

    Jesper



  8. #8
    Gold Member Bob La Londe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1858
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by evalon View Post
    Hi all,
    @Bob La Londe: ... 4 axis sounds intriguing but would it work in practice with the sizes I listed just above? The 4 axis machines I have seen usually use a small rotational axis which I doubt could work with these size shapes ... Or might I be mistaken here Have a good day to you all,

    Jesper
    Wheeeeelll, Maybe not on the average home shop or even job shop machine, but my brother in law was a plant manager for a short time in a jet engine parts plant that had machines that could do it. Of course some of those machines wouldn't even fit in my shop. I don't mean not through the door. I mean not in the building. I think if you put a wood block on one the operators would have flogged you to death. (My home shop is 50' x 60' with a 16' eve height.)

    Seriously no. Not for most people or even most shops unless its something they are set up to do all the time. There are some biggish 4 and 5 axis machines out there. Most I think that would tackle a job like you describe would use an articulating head for a 4th and or 5th axis rather than an indexer or rotary table.

    Have you considered machining in place some fixtures to hold your block, and then machine the block to fit them exactly on the top and bottom. This way you could machine all sides leaving the top for last where you would machine away the stock that you clamped to when machining the sides. Obviously planning, setup, and referencing would be very critical to this approach to get decent results.

    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com


  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8797
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by evalon View Post
    Hi all,

    & thanks so much for your feedbacks. Reading your replies I realize that I probably should have been more specific with the 3D shape I attached so that it more precisely resembled what I will actually be milling. However, my main purpose was to give an idea of the curvatures I would like to mill, i.e. double curvatures into the material - from the side.

    As it is the actual shape to be milled is rather big: Some 430mmx300mmx120mm ... which is also why I am looking for a software solution so that the shape may remain fixed in place - and preferably with only "one" milling process. Also, I do not need these "going into the side curvatures" to be very deep - likely 3/8" is enough. Otherwise I would try to find a tool maker that can make a larger diameter ball end as, again, the material will be wood so it need not be that rigid/strong.

    @Baraukarda: Fusion 360 could be an option, however, since eventually I am hoping to start a company - and already have the 3D modeling software I prefer working with - I would rather not start learning Fusion 360 as I am unlikely to subsequently buy it ... But thanks for the suggestion ;-)

    @Bob La Londe: ... 4 axis sounds intriguing but would it work in practice with the sizes I listed just above? The 4 axis machines I have seen usually use a small rotational axis which I doubt could work with these size shapes ... Or might I be mistaken here

    @mactec54: ... Sounds interesting what you are doing - can you say a bit about how you make it work in practice (CAM software?)?


    Have a good day to you all,

    Jesper
    I use Gibbs Cam I would most likely use a 4th axes as well, doing it in the vertical you could use a fly cutter and create any radius and profile for the sides and ends for the rounded top blend in the radius down from the top

    Now seeing the size and not being a round shape 4th axes may be the best choice, really need 5 axes to do it correctly, but if you have only a 3 axes machine it still could be done just would take more steps to complete

    Mactec54


  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Oakland CA USA
    Posts
    4633
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

    I don't know what kind of a machine you're using, but that doesn't seem like too huge a part for 4th-axis rotational milling. The rotary table doesn't have to have the same diameter as the part; it just needs to hold it well enough to cut on. The key is to have enough clearance so that the part can turn and the tool can retract to clear it with some room to spare. If you haven't built the machine yet, think about dropping the 4th axis so that the center of it is at table height. That way, the height of the Z axis only has to be about half what it would be if the whole apparatus was mounted on the table.

    Andrew Werby
    Website


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?

Is there a CAM software that can be "cheated" to do this?