Need Help! Low cost/free CAM solution for 3D relief

Thread: Low cost/free CAM solution for 3D relief

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Low cost/free CAM solution for 3D relief

I am just trying to reach out to some of you veterans out there for a little advice.
    I built myself this here CNC router gadget.
    Low cost/free CAM solution for 3D relief-ba-cnc-jpg

Here is a picture when she was almost completed.

I am using an Arduino knockoff burned with GRBL to decipher G-code, mainly through UGS. Sometimes I run easel just to get the party started but as you know it is very limited. I typically use Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM, which works splendidly.
    I have recently had the hankerin' to cut some 3D reliefs with little success. I have tried using MeshCAM since it seems to be geared toward this sort of thing. I have an STL file I bought to try to cut to the chase a bit but haven't been able to use it in Fusion or MeshCAM.
    Fusion simply cannot handle it, the file is much too large. If I reduce it it loses most of its detail and Fusion still struggles to create a toolpath even if I were interested in using it afterward. The file starts out at about 3.6 million facets and Fusion will only convert about 50,000 facets into a solid.
    I can load the STL into MeshCAM, but never end up with a working toolpath. I honestly haven't gotten a single working toolpath out of MeshCAM in any scenario. I feel like MeshCAM is meant to be a more user friendly program than Fusion but that has not been the case for me.

Feel free to drop any comments about your experiences here. I would love any advice about the current programs I am using, suggested software, ect. I would prefer free but would definitely consider paying for one if I felt it had value. I am not going to spend thousands... I know there is a better answer out there.

As always any help is greatly appreciated... thank you in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Low cost/free CAM solution for 3D relief-ba-cnc-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Low cost/free CAM solution for 3D relief

i use rhino 5 can you post the file mastercam normally handles most things it must be a problem with the stl file so need to have a look at it to help her is sum of my work so i am not just after the file https://www.thingiverse.com/davedpot/designs

Downloads
    Uploads

Try DeskProto, it can handle even very large STL files without any problem. It is easy to use, and the basic edition is completely free. See www.deskproto.com/products/free-ed.php
    (this message comes from the manufacturers of DeskProto).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also suggest Deskproto. Detailed meshes like reliefs are where it really is shines. CAM software for technical parts (like Fusion360) usually can't handle this properly.

Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't get much easier than MeshCAM, so I'm guessing you are doing something wrong? Can you be more specific in your process, and what isn't working?

Multi-million polygon models can take a very long time when creating toolpaths, especially on a low powered PC. With the wrong settings, it can appear that the CAM program is frozen, or non responsive.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That sounds like like a UX-bug in the CAM not communicating clearly that it is working and what it is working on. (Plus ability to Pause, Abort and maybe a progress).