Need Help! Choosing a 3D Mill Cad/Cam

Thread: Choosing a 3D Mill Cad/Cam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Choosing a 3D Mill Cad/Cam

I own 8 3 axis cnc milling machines and been using GeoPath 2.5 for 15 years and basic 2d programming. I would like to get more diversified and learn 3D programming so I need help on purchasing a new Cad/Cam program and will not use GeoPath. I'm currently on trial with OneCnc and BobCad. Looking at fuisoin360 and HSMworks but not sure the difference between them. I think MasterCam is a little to spendy compared to the cost of the others out there. I have no solidwork experience so I would like a Cad/Cam that UI Friendly. I appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Choosing a 3D Mill Cad/Cam

I'm a Fusion 360 fan. New to 3D model drawing so lots of good free tutorials to get started and then the same User interface to get the tool paths generated. Will become more popular than solid works if it is not already. Free for me to use as a hobbyist but quite affordable for small businesses. More an investment in time to learn a very capable design and manufacturing system. I have examples on my Bridgeport CNC conversion tread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AVMCNC View Post
    ...Looking at fuisoin360 and HSMworks but not sure the difference between them.
    Both are from Autodesk, and very similar in feel and function. We use HSMXpress (the free 2.5 axis version of HSMWorks) at work, and I'm also a Fusion fan at home. If you are looking at Fusion, you owe it to yourself to take a look at NYCCNC.com...particularly the Fusion 360 section:

https://www.nyccnc.com/fusion-360/

Good luck in your search.

Juan

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a huge fan of OneCNC. If you have any questions, call Patrick at OneCNC West. He is the bomb when needing help on this program. He may even save you some money buying it. His support is superb!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Chud that's a great site. Do you think the 3D tool paths would be equal to brand like OneCnc?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AVMCNC View Post
    Thanks Chud that's a great site. Do you think the 3D tool paths would be equal to brand like OneCnc?
    I'm not familiar with OneCNC. We looked at it here at work years ago, but eventually ended up going with GibbsCAM. About a year ago, I switched us to HSMXpress.

Juan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Fusion 360 CAD/CAM - it's an impressive program that is impossible to beat particularly for startups and folks who make less than 100k a year. However the learning curve can be steep if you're modeling complex transitions and lofts (like the backside of a guitar neck). Had great success with bodies but have yet to be able to make a neck up to the quality that I want.

Downloads
    Uploads

What spread sheet do you use? MS Excel or Lotus 123 ? Unfortunately the big guys win eventually. Autodesk has bought about industry disruption and winning huge market share in the process.