GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes - Page 7

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Release notes V3.25

The new version V3.25.0 can now be downloaded from my dropbox at https://goo.gl/7BGkkO
    This time I tried to provide a 'trial version' for GrblGru starters.
    For this purpose, a menu appears at the start of the program in which you can select the basic purpose.
    In addition to the full version, a simple 3D simulation and a G-code sender are available.
    So if you want to try GrblGru, I especially recommend the 3D simulation mode, which allows with little effort to simulate existing G-codes files.

I also added new 3D models again. Among other things, a laser. Next time I will report separately about it.

Because I've been often asked to describe what GrblGru actually is, I've created also a document, which attempt to fulfill this request.
    Download from my dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9nx516zzr...blGru.pdf?dl=0

Have fun with GrblGru

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, amazing work. I am playing around with this trying to learn your method. I have one question. I can't seem to find where to set units to Inch like the manual says. There is no "ID/NC" button in the latest 3.25.4 version. Is the units switchable in a .ini file somewhere?
    Thanks for your contribution to the hobby of CNC, laser, etc.

PI R ROUND

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the program.
    I'm sorry to disappoint you. Currently there is no possibility to enter imperial units. The operating instructions are no longer up to date. I had an imperial mode in earlier versions, but the effort for changes was simply too much. As soon as the basic development of the program is complete, I will definitely provide imperial units.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the program.
    I'm sorry to disappoint you. Currently there is no possibility to enter imperial units. The operating instructions are no longer up to date. I had an imperial mode in earlier versions, but the effort for changes was simply too much. As soon as the basic development of the program is complete, I will definitely provide imperial units.
    Excellent work, I have followed you from the beginning

If your control accepts G20 it does not matter if the machine setup is metric, and someone wants to run a program in inches they just need a G20 in the start of there program and a G21 for metric

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Excellent work, I have followed you from the beginning

If your control accepts G20 it does not matter if the machine setup is metric, and someone wants to run a program in inches they just need a G20 in the start of there program and a G21 for metric

I think the only issue is that the program only uses two decimal places for metric. I'll have to look at the program again to be sure.

PI R ROUND

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@mactec54
    Thanks for your advice. This seems to be a good idea for a quick workaround.
    But I think there are a lot of other things to consider.
    For example, the dimensions of the workpieces should already match the dimensions of the machine.
    Also the current display should be displayed in inches.

@vicstransam
    There is a new beta version V3.25.8 available at https://goo.gl/7BGkkO
    I have changed the formatting of the input values so that now several decimal places can be used.
    Hopefully this will help a little, until I can offer a better solution.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

@mactec54
    For example, the dimensions of the workpieces should already match the dimensions of the machine.
    No the display does not have to read in inches, if your machine is setup for metric then using a G20 is all that is needed to run a inch programed part

you set your work offset, G54 X0Y0 Etc set your tool height, load your program and run it, who cares what the readout is doing or anything else, as long as your part is cut correct there is nothing more to it, I do it like this all the time

It works the same also if you have a machine that is setup to run in Inches, and you want to run a metric program all you do is add a standard G-Code G21 at the start of your program and the control will run and, machine it in metric

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, of course, you're right. The machine will work properly as you said.

But my program also offers a lot of graphical possibilities besides the G-code sender.
    For example, it would be very nice if you could use the simulation mode also in imperial mode to avoid collisions.
    To do this, however, the dimensions must be converted to metric so that a workpiece is displayed correctly in relation to the 3D machine model.

What I just wanted to say was that I wanted a program that could handle imperial units in all areas.

Downloads
    Uploads

@mactec54

@vicstransam
    There is a new beta version V3.25.8 available at https://goo.gl/7BGkkO
    I have changed the formatting of the input values so that now several decimal places can be used.
    Hopefully this will help a little, until I can offer a better solution.

Thank you very much. I will try it out.

Last edited by vicstransam; 03-05-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    PI R ROUND

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings GrblGru,

Per my posting on your YouTube channel I've converted my Son's Unimat lathe using an UNO and GRBL 1.1 and I'm using your excellent software. Because the X & Y axis labeling are non-traditional it works very well if I generate the g-code in your program and swap the stepper motor cables on my controller. (X to Y and Z to X)

I've watched most of the videos but I'm having difficulty understanding how to set the Y axis origin in the software relative to the actual part in the lathe. I do understand how to set the origin in the software and that it will calculate the distance from that point to the center of the axis. (Y-xx.xxx) Can you please explain how I then set the tool in the lathe to the physical part I'm about to cut to match the origin in the software ?

Thanks !

Jay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am very happy that you could use GrblGru for your lathe.
    I also hope that I will finally get to rename the axis designations soon.

To your question. Here's what I do on my machine:
    - Turning of a cylinder with any diameter
    - Measurement of the created diameter with the caliper gauge
    - Enter the radius of the diameter in the Y-axis from the program
    - Press the' Origin' key to set the starting diameter.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if sth. doesn't work as it should.
    In this case you can also send me a PM with an email address.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been playing with the program a little bit and added a macro to the list as "Home" but the simulator model "Shapeoko 2" doesn't execute the code G28 or G91 G28 Z0 or G91 G28 X0 Y0 Z0. I am only using the program for simulation. I was hoping it would return to its "Home" position. Also when jogging to a spot on the table to set the part origin, it no longer can travel to "HOME" and negative X and Y limits can be exceeded on the simulation.
    I am impressed with the level of your programming. Thanks again.

PI R ROUND

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast