Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming. - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

That's a good question! this has never come up before, and is something of a mystery to me. I am familiar with a number of lathes around here, both conventional and otherwise, Mach3 and Siemens controllers, all using Ezilathe Correctly. Hopefully, Someone out there reading this can rule on this point.

However, I can state the following :-
    Ezilathe DXF selection is inline with Cad system Coordinates, where Cad Y axis is positive above Center (0). This means that I do have to mirror Arcs to suit a conventional lathe.

Ezilathe Arc direction is in line with the Mach3 Wizards. On my lathe, the "Reversed arcs in front toolpost" checkbox is always checked, as expected with a lathe like mine (Boxford 125TCL). Removing this checkmark and both Ezilathe and Mach3 wizards display and cut incorrectly. I note that this particular wizard always generates G3 (Counterclockwise) - Convex radius cut from OD to center. What I don't understand here is why the mach3 display also changes? I cannot see another setting working in concert with this checkbox.

To me, G2 is Clockwise, and G3 is Counterclockwise, as viewed from above on a conventional lathe using the front toolpost, but I could be wrong. This is what Ezilathe is designed to do.

That said, I can certainly add a checkbox to "Invert Arc Direction" if there is a need for it, as it would be a simple addition. I will have to find a free viewer and play with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stutank View Post
    That's a good question! this has never come up before, and is something of a mystery to me.
    Well, they say we learn something every day, right ?

I have searched the web high and low for any similar discussion and found nothing helpful. I do know that when we look at the image of a tool path for a front tool, an internal radius does run counter clockwise. Again, if I try the G02, a small radius internal corner will create a large circle the wrong way in clockwise direction.

I wonder if that checkbox in Mach is on by default ? I also start to assume that this is a known issue ans exactly why they have the option, just like NCPlot does to reverse the arcs.

The bottom line for me is that my control has nothing I can do to alter it other than change from G2 to G3, which again, is not the end of the world. I'm confident too, that I would not have any luck getting any changes made in the control because it is an older development already. I'm not a programmer/programmer (dabble in VB and VBa), but I too think it would be fairly easy to insert a reverse option as it simply has to flip the code when creating it, and flip it when simulating it when the reverse flag is on.

I wish we could get some guidance from "experts" in this regard. I think the evidence so far is however, that different controls are going to have different requirements, and perhaps why we see Mach and NCPlot with the flip option in order to deal with either world.

Well, I'll monitor the thread..... If you change it, wonderful ! If not.... Hey, what can I expect for free, right ? Thanks !

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

The change you need has been added to Ezilathe (If anyone asks, its to handle rear toolpost). Under options on main menu you will find a new check box, checked will reverse the arcs in dxf processor as well as Simulator, so you should get usable G-code straight out of Ezilathe. Just need a couple of days to Check/Tidy a few things as there are other updates (Nothing major finished yet). Will add a post after I upload the new version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Datac. Just uploaded the new version (1.5.2.0) with your changes. Hopefully it will do all you require. If any problem, let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Datac. Just uploaded the new version (1.5.2.0) with your changes. Hopefully it will do all you require. If any problem, let me know.
    I've downloaded it and it now works perfectly regards the arc commands. I think in the end, the option probably is a good thing to have in the program. I really appreciate you taking a look at it so quickly, and it sure is super nice to not have to edit those each time.

That said, I do edit the default header data (G90, G80, G40... etc.), but I have for years been using an old button macro program called "Typeitin" that lets me save code snippets into a button that runs as a helper program to whatever program I am running.

Did you by chance consider inserting the start and end code detail into another .txt file so the user could edit them to fit their machine ?

Like I mentioned, I am just getting to have more time to play with the CNC lathe I have had here for a few years now. I figured I better make it do something, and Ezilathe is allowing just that !

Thanks !

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Datac

Glad it works for you. As for init and exit code, already is adjustable. If you go to the Speeds/Feeds window, you will see under lathe configuration 3 lines of init code and 2 lines of exit code (Exit string #1 used after each tool is finished with). Also the comment string is specified here, to suit a number of controllers. The use of M6 is also covered under the simulators tooling window.

Downloads
    Uploads

Datac

Glad it works for you. As for init and exit code, already is adjustable. If you go to the Speeds/Feeds window, you will see under lathe configuration 3 lines of init code and 2 lines of exit code (Exit string #1 used after each tool is finished with). Also the comment string is specified here, to suit a number of controllers. The use of M6 is also covered under the simulators tooling window.
    Excellent then. I thought I looked everywhere, but I guess not !

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Stutank:
    Ezilathe looks like a great program, Thank You for creating and sharing it!
    I built a 5' x10' Gantry machine more than 10 years ago and use it on a regular basis to do routering, milling, vinyl cutting, plasma, glass cutting...And I am good at writing GCode, at least good enough for my needs.
    I just bought a CNC lathe at an auction and used RhinoCam as I do for the router to create code for the lathe. I have to lie to Rhino to do it but no shame in that, then I fine tune the code by hand to suit.
    Ezilathe will be MUCH easier!
    I have a couple of questions.
    Is there a way to make a tool in ezilathe so it can cut on both sides? I am doing a small aluminum part and ground a 1/8 parting bit to a round nose, by hand I would take shallow cuts ~.010", back and forth with this bit, cutting a bit deeper with each pass. This brings my second question, Is there a way to specify "cut in both directions" instead of either right to left or left to right? A lot of time is wasted rapiding back to the right to take another cut pass, If it could do a right to left cut, then plunge and do a left to right, and plunge....it would save time. I expect it's a bit more complicated on your end since a straight "plunge" each time would not follow the contour, the plunge would have to be 2 axis to follow the part or move over to the next straight plunge position that would work. This is not a critical problem for me, your program is very good as is, it would just be a nice option.
    Thank You again!
    Morgan

Downloads
    Uploads

Planebuilder - Thank you for your comments on Ezilathe. Still working (and running late) on the next update that included a lot of new work (and bugs!). Work mainly on trepanning mode and grooving mode. Grooving mode especially may suit you (Aimed at such things as Air-cooled cylinders etc), but not yet having the refinements that you suggest, but certainly will some time. Expect soon to upload a new version with the new features in basic unfinished form, and refine as time goes on.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have just uploaded the new version of Ezilathe (V1.6) into the Downloads/Post Files section.
    This update has many changes, that you might find useful.
    Trepanning modes - Now operating, suit many as is, but still needing some work - 2 versions, multiplunge and plunge/traverse. Uses a trepan tool (Sharp or Full radius (Button Tool)).Radius compensation correct for button tool.

Grooving modes - as above, 2 versions. Uses a Grooving tool (Sharp or Full radius (Button Tool)).Radius compensation correct for button tool. The Plunge/Traverse Mode especially suits air cooled cylinders (Tested on Jerry Howell's Vee Twin Cylinders). Keep the finishing cut small when tool close to Bottom of groove width for best roughing (Try 0.001 finish cut if needed).

All the new modes have had limited testing, but certainly work on the common types of work.

Hi Stutank. Just stopped by to check see if you had done any new updates. Still have not finished my CNC lathe conversion so my feedback is still only theoretical.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob
    No updates since V1.6 on May 29 2017. With no reported issues, and no bugs found by me, nothing is expected any time soon. If you have caught up with V1.6, check out the new functions (as described in the PDF), they work well for me. Bug reports drive updates, so who knows when the next update will be.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks for the updated version.
    Keep up the good work.

Getting Closer. I figured out how I want to run my spindle (ac servo) and have the low profile rails for the X-axis ordered. I may actually get to test your software on a real machine before the end of the year. LOL.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob
    Glad it is going well. I took the easy approach (refitted an old Boxford 125TCL) Good for all the small annoying parts, but sometime I might build something larger for the big annoying items. A bit short on feedback, so looking forward to you finishing your lathe.
    As far as Ezilathe is concerned, V1.6 is still up to date, a couple of edits made, but not worth an upload yet.

I actually didn't have a huge use for a CNC lathe until recently. Most of my turned parts are one off, and its faster to just throw them on one of the manual lathes. I've got a little 8.5x18 HF 31316 that I installed a 3C collet closer on I use for a lot of small parts, and a bigger 14 x 40 PM1440LBE that is an absolute joy to use for any size part. My first lathe was a HF 7 x 10 that I swapped out for a 16" bed a long time ago. I had not used it in a couple years, so a couple years ago I started tinkering with converting it to CNC just to have the experience.

Well recently I developed a couple marketable small parts that are tedious and time consuming to do on the manual lathes, so I got back to working on my little toy CNC. I am making some changes to the setup. I'll use the Z (Y as it says on the DRO of my big lathe) ways of the bed, but the X is getting linear rails, and a T-slot table to support gang tools. This one is also getting a 3C collet closer in the spindle. When I started looking at parts I discovered for what I am doing it would have been cheaper to build it from scratch than to buy a lathe to convert, but I already had the lathe. It was a Christmas present from my wife many years ago, and its what really got me into machining. I feel guilty with it just sitting on the bench gathering dust, so I am making it useful again.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Stu,

Any thoughts about adding a little L-R code for trimming up the left side when using brittle material.

I’m still hand coding the L-R bits for my projects and it’s tiring,

Mike...

Downloads
    Uploads

mikeschn

Never found L-R very useful for my work, which is the reason it has not been implemented. However, now I know you would like it, I will see what I can do. It should be a lot simpler than it was the first time I looked at it, because of the restructuring I have done since.

I will let you know how I go through this thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I loaded this a few day ago, after going grey looking at other options. This is great and have started to remove metal with my Boxford 240, that has sat idle for 3 years. Even the reversed arcs of the Boxford have not phased me this time. I am however confused about your handed convention. The sample tools seem drawn and named in the opposite hand. Why the reversal of convention. Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.-ezilathe-tool-jpg

T1 is a RH tool cutting on the left as drawn, but not as labelled ?
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Nothing to worry about here it's just a reflection of my strange lathe.

My Lathe is a Boxford 125TCL which is back to front compared to a conventional lathe. In effect, my standard cut is like you would use from a rear toolpost running in reverse (M4). Ezilathe is set-out to look conventional (suits most people).
    However my samples do reflect my tool lists etc, so tool 1 is drawn as RH but the tool I use is LH and the description reflects this (otherwise I would confuse myself). Better watch for M4 in the favorites, as the Part off tool is M4. (All drill operations are still M3 however).

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast