Replacement for Anicam 7 - 2D drawing for turning

Thread: Replacement for Anicam 7 - 2D drawing for turning

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Replacement for Anicam 7 - 2D drawing for turning

Hi there, looking for help with a 2D drawing/CAM package.

The background. We've been using an ancient bit of software, Anicam 7, for some years now, and it has served us well. We use it for creating geometry only, i.e. we draw the shape (2D only) to find intersection and blend points in rads and chamfers and such like. We then take the created coordinates and manually enter them into a programme. We don't use Anicam to generate G code (although it could), we just want the coordinates.

Only problem is Anicam requires a large dedicated switch box to work, effectively a massive dongle, and links into a com port on the back of the PC. I want to replace the PC (for a number of reasons) but new PC's don't have com ports! I could use a USB/Com port converter, but I'd like to avoid this if possible. My Anicam may go tits up any day, and I'd like a replacement sooner rather than later! If I'm being honest, the Anicam box is big and ugly and I just want it gone off the desk.

We have OneCNC for programming our mills but I don't really want to invest in their turning module, which would be way more sophisticated than we need. And expensive. Likewise most of the others packages out there.

I could draw the part in AutoCAD, and take geometry off that, but it's a bit of a faff, and Anicam is so much easier, even though it is 20 years old.

So, anyone know of a turning specific, simple, 2D drawing package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

Have a look at Dolphin PartMaster - has just what you need, easy to use CAD and Turning.

OK ! I am biased.

Call us on 01563 543989 for more info or go to Dolphin CADCAM Systems, PartMaster, CNC

Regards

André

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Replacement for Anicam 7 - 2D drawing for turning

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Tim View Post
    Hi there, looking for help with a 2D drawing/CAM package.

The background. We've been using an ancient bit of software, Anicam 7, for some years now, and it has served us well. We use it for creating geometry only, i.e. we draw the shape (2D only) to find intersection and blend points in rads and chamfers and such like. We then take the created coordinates and manually enter them into a programme. We don't use Anicam to generate G code (although it could), we just want the coordinates.

Only problem is Anicam requires a large dedicated switch box to work, effectively a massive dongle, and links into a com port on the back of the PC. I want to replace the PC (for a number of reasons) but new PC's don't have com ports! I could use a USB/Com port converter, but I'd like to avoid this if possible. My Anicam may go tits up any day, and I'd like a replacement sooner rather than later! If I'm being honest, the Anicam box is big and ugly and I just want it gone off the desk.

We have OneCNC for programming our mills but I don't really want to invest in their turning module, which would be way more sophisticated than we need. And expensive. Likewise most of the others packages out there.

I could draw the part in AutoCAD, and take geometry off that, but it's a bit of a faff, and Anicam is so much easier, even though it is 20 years old.

So, anyone know of a turning specific, simple, 2D drawing package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!
    Hi TurboTim:
    Do you still have this ANILAM dongle? I would love to have it if you are going to trash it. email me please oldog@rediffmail.com
    Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by oldog View Post
    Hi TurboTim:
    Do you still have this ANILAM dongle? I would love to have it if you are going to trash it. email me please oldog@rediffmail.com
    Thanks.
    Sorry Oldog, it’s long gone. We just use OneCNC milling module now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Replacement for Anicam 7 - 2D drawing for turning

Thanks for your quick response - used this for over 15 years, language based programming and worked great. Later the company went with Gibbs Cam which had more oomph. bells & whistles.