Need Help! Neophyte Trying to Engrave Text Using Inkscape

Thread: Neophyte Trying to Engrave Text Using Inkscape

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Neophyte Trying to Engrave Text Using Inkscape

I am trying to engrave this text on to some Christmas ornaments I made with a laser engraver (or rather cutter in this case, I guess).

I know enough to know that you should engrave text using single line text such as the Hershey Text Renderer built into Inkscape, but surely there must be SOME way to engrave text using other fonts like this. I have never used the gcodetools extension for Inkscape before, but no matter what I try, all I am getting is really large bubble letters that obscure the intended text. Is there any way that I can do this?

I am designing on a linux laptop, so I prefer linux software, but the computer controlling the CNC is windows, so I am willing to use anything that will get this done. I will appreciate any help, tips or advice you can offer. Thank you.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neophyte Trying to Engrave Text Using Inkscape-screenshot-2022-11-30-01-43-53-a  
    Derek Tombrello
    www.RobotsAndComputers.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Neophyte Trying to Engrave Text Using Inkscape

One thing you can try is using software like Coreldraw or others to trace the font you showed. This will turn the message into linear that can be scaled and cut by the laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    One thing you can try is using software like Coreldraw or others to trace the font you showed. This will turn the message into linear that can be scaled and cut by the laser
    I'm sorry... I meant that I am trying to engrave that text with a CNC router. I've got the laser part pretty much down pat Thank you, though.

Derek Tombrello

Downloads
    Uploads

The process I recommended works with lasers as well as routers. You need to turn the graphics into line art

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh.. OK. I'll try that. I appreciate it!

Derek Tombrello

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Fusion 360 and it has a text feature with quite a wide range of fonts. Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists and startups....so you could try it.

Then there is an 'Engrave Toolpath' that converts the text artwork into Gcode. Note that all the fonts, at least to my knowledge are not single line....but then again that how you get the interesting letter shapes.

I have only ever used it a few times but it does work really well.

For example see attached. The blue is the underlying material and the green lines are the toolpath to be taken by in this example an engraving tool, but could equally be a laser beam.
    This would outline the text....would that be sufficient?

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neophyte Trying to Engrave Text Using Inkscape-engravetoolpath-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I use Fusion 360 and it has a text feature with quite a wide range of fonts. Fusion 360 is free to hobbyists and startups....so you could try it.

Then there is an 'Engrave Toolpath' that converts the text artwork into Gcode. Note that all the fonts, at least to my knowledge are not single line....but then again that how you get the interesting letter shapes.

I have only ever used it a few times but it does work really well.

For example see attached. The blue is the underlying material and the green lines are the toolpath to be taken by in this example an engraving tool, but could equally be a laser beam.
    This would outline the text....would that be sufficient?

Craig
    Hi there... so, that is basically what I'm getting with Inkscape using standard fonts. There is something called Hershey Text in Inkscape (and other programs I believe) that basically uses a single path for each letter that the cnc can follow instead of outlining the text. It works, but the fonts selection is minimal to say the least. I'm going to keep trying though. I've heard of Fusion, but I run linux, so that ones' pretty much out for me. Thanks

Derek Tombrello

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RebelTaz View Post
    Hi there... so, that is basically what I'm getting with Inkscape using standard fonts. There is something called Hershey Text in Inkscape (and other programs I believe) that basically uses a single path for each letter that the cnc can follow instead of outlining the text. It works, but the fonts selection is minimal to say the least. I'm going to keep trying though. I've heard of Fusion, but I run linux, so that ones' pretty much out for me. Thanks
    The solution you want to look for is called "VCarving"... A toolpath that will use a Defined Vbit and plunge it to set depth. You can define the tool and such so that it will do a centerline single path on your open fonts, instead of "Pocket the inside" with some type of tool diameter and ruin the font shape and definition.

You make it harder on yourself by wanting to use linux, but I think if that is your world, you can find the answers you need, like getting f-engrave and linux-cnc setup etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    The solution you want to look for is called "VCarving"... A toolpath that will use a Defined Vbit and plunge it to set depth. You can define the tool and such so that it will do a centerline single path on your open fonts, instead of "Pocket the inside" with some type of tool diameter and ruin the font shape and definition.

You make it harder on yourself by wanting to use linux, but I think if that is your world, you can find the answers you need, like getting f-engrave and linux-cnc setup etc.
    lol... yeah. I tend to make everything hard on myself. I do have f-engrave installed. I forgot about that program. I'll try it. In the meantime, I gave up on the cnc and did it with the laser engraver, filling the text in with paint. It came out really nice. But I do want to be able to use the cnc. I'll give that a go. Thanks! and Merry Christmas!

Derek Tombrello

Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Christmas!