Helical twist of a 3D CAD file

Thread: Helical twist of a 3D CAD file

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Helical twist of a 3D CAD file

I would like to wrap a 3D design of a guitar neck in a helical pattern around a central axis.

My intent is to create a 4th axis toolpath in Aspire and mill the guitar neck as an artwork project.

Once I figure out the neck, I'll apply a similar process to the body of the guitar and mount the neck and body in a frame.

Please advise of a program (freeware if possible) that can accomplish the helical twist.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Helical twist of a 3D CAD file

If you plan on doing this as a full size project you may need access to a very large machine with a very high 4th axis centre.I expect Fusion could do it,but haven't ever used it myself. A good number of paid programs would do the job and the people with a large enough machine to produce a full size job would have them.I would think that if you model the components in a program of your choice and save them in Step or STL form,the sweep along a helical path wouldn't be too demanding,once you determine the helix characteristics.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    ... if you model the components in a program of your choice and save them in Step or STL form,the sweep along a helical path wouldn't be too demanding,once you determine the helix characteristics.

The following Fusion 360 video provides the process to achieve the twist I am looking for in the guitar neck CAD file:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/f1e948ba-4fb7-49d2-8ca6-e1b51f794c71.html

Regards,

Wayne L.