CADs for free comparison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CADs for free comparison

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CADs for free comparison

Hello all!

It's been quite a while I have been here and now I am returning to the hobby (CNC building machines)

I have never really be keen on learning CAD but nowadays, there are quite a few very good programmes for free available to the hobbyist.
    Right now I have on my machine for evaluation:
    - DesignSparks Mechanics
    - Freecad
    - Sketchup

DesignSpark Mechanic (DSM) is quite efficient and indeed easy to learn but I find that precision drawings and dimensionning a bit hard to do

Sketchup made me go mad at one point because very complex drawing features are easy to do, but some very basic tasks are so frustratingly complex to do ( and array of holes in a plate for exemple!)

Freecad looks promising but I installed it only last night and did not give it a real shakeup as of yet...

Those of you who use free CAD softwares, what are your tools of choice and why....
    But also for those of you who rejected one or another software, why?

Curious to see what you are thinking....
    Sincerely, Luc

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CADs for free comparison

Fusion 360 is a must and is (I believe) the most common free cad software. The integrated CAM is awesome and its modeling is very good as well. Onshape is also free and very interesting. It is completely browser based so it can be run on very bad systems; there's a beta plugin for CAM but i haven't heard much about it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well....
    Fusion is not realy 'free' but at near 500$ US per year and for the amount of usage I envision... free cad is the way to go for me.
    It's not utterly expensive, at about 10$ US a year ( 40 billions Canadian! )
    But thanks for the suggestion anyway!.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion 360 is indeed free. You just sign up for a hobby license, and pay nothing.

Hundreds, if not thousands of members here are using it for free.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using a program called SimplyCam on and off for about 10 years and over the last several weeks quite extensively (bought a new router) :-)

In basic usage, it is very easy to learn and use. When you get more familiar it is extremely powerful but it does not have the full GUI type of interfaces some of the others such as V-Carve have.

Although it is not free, it is very inexpensive at around US$60. For 2 and 2.5D drawings it is quite amazing what it can do. It also has an inbuilt GRBL panel that may work with some serial/USB hardware.

Their web site can be found at:

MR-Soft Nc Software Tools

They also have a bitmap to CNC vectorising program (BMP2CNC) if you want to do engravings of pictures or convert things like PDF or scanned images to G-Code.

I use both.

You can download it and use if freely without a license but it is limited to 100 lines of G-Code and won't export/save to DXF without a license.
    They are very responsive to questions and their web site has some fabulous tutorials to help get you started.

Cheers,

HarryE.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys.... thisi is getting interesting!

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion is free unless you're using it to make more than $100k in which case you really shouldnt care about spending $500 a year...

Downloads
    Uploads

In fairness, the process for getting the free fusion 360 licence isn't immediately obvious. Install and run the fully functional trial version for a month, then - when you get hit up at the end of the trial period - you select the free personal or "startup" (for under 100k commercial) option and off you go.

I need to have another look at FreeCAD - it's had a couple of updates since I last used it and now has (apparently) some basic CAM functionality and improvements on the modelling side. Hopefully it's a little more stable these days, too. But even a couple of years ago it wasn't entirely horrible for modelling stuff to 3D print. And it wasn't #(@*#$ cloud based like Fusion 360.

The cloud based nature of 360 is biting me at the moment with patchy internet connectivity at one place I'm trying to use it. And I'm leery of Autodesk turning around at some point, when I have this massive library of models and parts etc built up, and saying "We've now taken enough market share from Dassault's Solidworks so no more free ride, thousand bucks a year for everyone."

Those things aside, though, getting 5 axis CAM, halfway decent parametric solid modelling, assembly modelling with kinematic simulation, pretty good surface modelling, FEA, topology optimisation and generative design for only three hundred a year is insane. Let alone free. They're cranking out monthly updates - it's being very actively developed. There's a massive wealth of training and support videos online with a huge user community.

Really, for a hobbyist or small shop, it's so far ahead of any legal alternatives - and a lot of pirate options, too.

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose the choice of software will depend to some extent on your background knowledge and the work you intend to do.I would like to add a couple more to the list at the head of this thread;I found Qcad a few years ago and it was pretty good although simply a 2D system and has since been forked and become Librecad.Still a capable and totally free piece of software.I know a number of people who use Sketch-up and like it.HeeksCad was heading in a positive direction but with a small developer community it wasn't really moving as fast as some other projects-on the other hand it was doing great things on the CAM side of things and some of that has been adopted by the Freecad project.I am a comparative novice with Freecad and will be trying to learn more as it generates good toolpaths and has amazing workbenches to explore for other work.Not the easiest to learn,just like any parametric system,but if you need to modify a design the benefits kick in really soon.Fusion may be great and probably is-the thing is I remember what happened to Photobucket and would rather use totally free software with no concessions from a commercial developer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sketchup 8, if you want to go on a "free style" CAM programming, bore a hole with different sizes, cut, precut material, outline cut, contour everything, etc. with just a single tool bit, go back to zero and do it all over again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little head up...
    Now Sketchup is on the cloud! And everybody hates it from the noise I hear on the forums!
    Luckily, we can still get Sketchup Make version from the site... for how long?

Autocad 360 is also cloud based, it is good in a way, but like someone mentionned, I realy don't like the idea of not having my files with me and the fact that autodesk can pull the plug any day, or start charging indecent prices for it... . They are trying to tell us how much better it is for us to have everything on the cloud but my internet connection is very slow in the country when I go there and I suspect it is actually simpler for them to go this route.

I started learning FreeCad, it is a bit more complicated to learn but I think it is worth it. The thing is quite practical and useful and I don't care if it needs external software todo the slicing for 3D printing.

I have checked MR-Soft 'simple-cad' this should be useful when I finish my curent cnc build but for the moment this is not what I am after.

Thank you all, sincerely, Luc

Downloads
    Uploads

I just took a week to learn CAD last month, now I can do it very well in my job. We need to have the CAD file for laser cutting, we are a solar panels manufacturer from China.

Downloads
    Uploads

Remember these words.... Whatever "FREE" cad offering your seeing or currently using that are offered by non-open source companies will very much so become NOT FREE, right about when you get really invested in their world. And, it wouldn't be the first time. It's the old Bait and Switch.

In the past, some of these scams were "Free" as long as you stopped by and "filled up" the license tank on the software you installed. Problem was, the day came when their gas pumps went dry as well as their web pages. You can not pay developers and give away their work for free for long.

And the whole "Cloud" concept is an absolute joke. For one, that plug can be yanked at any second for any number of reasons, any of which will affect YOU. Second, any legit company who thinks their propriety concepts are "safe" in the cloud is truly mind boggling as there is absolutely NOTHING to stop various administrators of that cloud from viewing your work (even live as your drawing it), Browsing YOUR on-line file folders or even sharing your concepts with potential enemies.

You or your company are the ones that would be required to foot any costs in attempt to prove that THEY breached your data... good luck with that !

What you should do is just invest in something you can install local to your PC..... something a smaller development company has a good track record with... something that is not completely stuck in a propriety format AND still is rather affordable. They are still out there !

If you could get by with SimplyCAD for example, what a bargain ! It's kind of interesting that they tossed in a GRBL panel if you ask me. Another, and say what you wish about it, but the small company that flies under the ViaCad label offers and incredible amount of capability for very little money. I'd rather use their $99 program than Fusion360 any day of the week. Vectric's VCarve platform is hands down a fantastic deal. While not free, it is pretty affordable given what it is capable of. And while not exactly a CAD program in the traditional sense, you can get settled with it, and it is yours forever essentially.

So IMO, don't get too invested in "Free" from non-open source companies.... it will not last. It never has because it just can't. Spend a little now and you'll bypass the grief others will eventually have.

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

datac (Chris?),

Well said. I started using "SimplyCam" (Spelling) about 10 years ago and stopped for a long time for various reasons while at the version I had at that time. The very inexpensive license I purchased all those years ago, is still valid for the current version (along with updates, my bug reports and fixes and several enhancement suggestions made recently and some implemented and released a few weeks ago as requested) - all included with the current offering.

Beat that!

:-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blue_luke View Post
    Autocad 360 is also cloud based, it is good in a way, but like someone mentionned, I realy don't like the idea of not having my files with me
    Fusion isn't useless in offline mode but it does depend on the cloud for a lot of it's function. Google 'fusion 360 offline'
    and the fact that autodesk can pull the plug any day, or start charging indecent prices for it... .
    Possible and maybe even likely. On the other hand I've invested many hours in open source or free software that ran it's course. I haven't tried FreeCad, is the CAM plug-in okay ?
    Fusion's CAM is well integrated and going back to separate CAM or a clunky plug-in would feel like a real step backwards. For me the CAM is the main thing, the CAD is just a means to the end.
    my internet connection is very slow in the country when I go there
    That could be a real problem depending on your definition of slow.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

People predicted the Fusion free license would go away a long time ago and it hasn't yet. Personally as a hobbyist it provides a great platform that works well, is updated, features integrated CAM that works, and is free. I can see the argument that they are using the free license to suck you in, but they (Autodesk) also know that by providing Fusion free to start ups and hobbyists they create brand loyalty and the likelihood that if you do start making more money that you will stick with them. That isn't a bad business model. I can say from my own point of view that if I did start a business and started making more than $100k/year, I would have no problem sticking with Fusion. See, they have created that brand loyalty in me, and I am someone who used to work in industry running CATIA, and SolidWorks.

As far as if/when/whether they pull the plug on free use, I won't argue how likely that is except to say it is a possibility. That said, I will continue to use it until then. I save my models offline in step format so that if they ever do pull the plug I still have them and can import them into another cad software.

In terms of cloud based, not cloud based, I have what is considered a slow internet service because I live in a rural area and cannot get cable or DSL service. My internet runs through a directional antenna mounted on the side of my house pointing to a tower 3 miles away. I get about 5 MBPS download. I have no problem running Fusion for my needs. I have what I consider some pretty complicated assemblies with moving joints and hundreds of parts and haven't been bothered by Fusions speed.

I can understand that some people may not be able to use the cloud based due to contractural reasons. This is a shortcoming of Fusion, but not for me or many who don't have this limitation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Fusion isn't useless in offline mode but it does depend on the cloud for a lot of it's function. Google 'fusion 360 offline'

Possible and maybe even likely. On the other hand I've invested many hours in open source or free software that ran it's course. I haven't tried FreeCad, is the CAM plug-in okay ?
    Fusion's CAM is well integrated and going back to separate CAM or a clunky plug-in would feel like a real step backwards. For me the CAM is the main thing, the CAD is just a means to the end.

That could be a real problem depending on your definition of slow.
    It seems I didn't describe the manner in which Freecad works well enough.Once you have installed the software you automatically have access to a number of different workbenches for different aspects of computer aided engineering.This means you can design architectural items,engineering components and even ships all with the same piece of software.You can even perform finite element analysis on your design as well as creating toolpaths.While I readily admit that the design element of the software is as challenging as any other parametric modeller,you don't absolutely have to use it as you can import a good range of file types which may have been produced using other software.Having imported your item it isn't too hard to generate toolpaths for cutting outlines,pockets and drilling.If your machine controller is of one of the types that are included it is very easy to post process those toolpaths and generate a file to send to your machine.I highly recommend spending an hour or two watching the sliptonic video tutorials on youtube to get some good information.

Downloads
    Uploads

When I switched from Creo to Fusion I'll admit it felt clunky, particularly in the sketching tool. But the CAM in Fusion is first rate. I'm nervously waiting for the other shoe to drop and hoping that, when it does, it'll either remain affordable or at least I'll have time to export a bunch of stuff to master re-modelling in something else.

I need to take another look at FreeCAD - the last time I used it (admittedly a few years ago) it promised the world but was buggy and quite limited in functionality. By the sounds of things it's come a long way since then.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did an exercise to improve my CAM skill level with Freecad.I created a rectangular block with a pocket containing an island.Then I added corner fillets to the pocket.I went through the sequence of facing the block,cutting the pocket and cleaning the periphery of the pocket and the island.

The attached screenshot shows the item with the toolpaths as green lines.The nice part is that should I decide to alter any of the features,all I have to do is go back into the model tree and change something and then click apply and the toolpath will update too.No need for exporting iges or step files and recalculating in a sperate CAM system.As I mentioned in an earlier post it isn't the easiest software to learn,but then no parametric modeller is easy and I remember fighting with Pro-Engineer around the time it became Wildfire and before transitioning to Creo.For more basic 2D drafting there is a Draft module.Since it costs nothing you can only lose your time by giving it a try.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CADs for free comparison-machining-test-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    I live in a rural area and cannot get cable or DSL service.... I get about 5 MBPS download. I have no problem running Fusion for my needs.
    Same speed here and being lumpy DSL the upload speed is only 10% of that. Yeah really, DSL and it's the best available. The joys of rural living.

The CAM part of FreeCad looks familiar from using Heekscnc. The thing with YouTube videos is they often show what software can do and avoid mentioning what it can't do.
    For example Fusion 360 4th axis videos mostly don't warn that Fusion doesn't post simultaneous 4 axis tool paths. I expect the limitations in FreeCad show up well before
    getting into that type of tool path. Despite sounding negative I will test drive FreeCad as it can run on linux.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast