Looking for CNC wood routing service

Thread: Looking for CNC wood routing service

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for CNC wood routing service

Hi Everyone,
    I have a rady CAD project and looking for service to make large quantity of wooden parts.
    Please let me know if you are interested.
    Rob

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for CNC wood routing service

It would be useful to know what type of job it is, ie what size ? Does it need 5 Axis ? Are there multiple tool changes involved ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a drawings in .pdf. perhaps it will be more useful. I believe it need 5 Axis. Because I'm new to CNC i am here to look for some help.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

You will need 5 axis for the best job. Is the material MDF ? Can you PM me quantities and a target price ?

Downloads
    Uploads

It should be walnut wood. 50 pieces, 25 right and 25 left pieces

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for CNC wood routing service-panel-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I like walnut, I used to make harps from it. I'll send this link to someone I know with a suitable machine, they might be prepared to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

It could work out expensive.Fixturing for both sides means an amount of work before the first useful part goes near the machine plus the tapered surface is a fairly demanding starting point.Then you have a 3mm radius on all corners plus the stipulation to break all corners 0.3mmX45 deg.Its actually the sort of job that wouldn't be hugely difficult to create most parts of with an old fashioned overhead router and a pin guide,followed by a hand router on a jig to create the angled surface.Having a CNC to make the jigs would be quite useful.
    As an aside,the two side views reduce the clarity of the information,one ought to be flipped laterally to convey that the side faces have differing pockets at different depths.I also don't see any information about the bevel to be applied to the sloping face,is it a constant angle or is there a twist?Given the need for 25 pairs and the possibility of knots,sapwood,other blemishes and chipping out I would make an extra 3 to 5 of each hand but I'm not interested in the job.I suspect that anybody who is will price the parts quite highly because of the factors I referred to.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent advice from Routalot. When machining walnut it's often necessary to use lh and rh tooling to avoid chipping off corners. I imagined a first side op to machine the shallow pocket and half drill the through holes, then flip the part onto a fixture that locates in the pocket and machine the second side and tapers and finish the through holes.

As you say, not cheap.

Routalot, you clearly have a lot more experience than I do, I'd value your views on pricing such a job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post
    Excellent advice from Routalot. When machining walnut it's often necessary to use lh and rh tooling to avoid chipping off corners. I imagined a first side op to machine the shallow pocket and half drill the through holes, then flip the part onto a fixture that locates in the pocket and machine the second side and tapers and finish the through holes.

As you say, not cheap.

Routalot, you clearly have a lot more experience than I do, I'd value your views on pricing such a job.
    I'd price it into the stratosphere.First of all there is the challenge of sourcing the material and I'd order at least 30% more than the bare minimum because of the factors I mentioned earlier.Then there is the time taken to actually decipher what the items look like as the pdf posted lacks quite a bit of information,such as the overall height of the piece and the bevel to be applied.A step file would probably be an advance.
    The very small amount of material left after pocketing and cutting the outside would have me concerned about losing a few as the ends split or fire splinters around the workshop and the design of fixtures and clamping arrangements would take some time to sort out.If the OP would like to post a screenshot of an Xray,ghosted,partially transparent or otherwise semi-visible piece,it would be possible to more clearly assess the part.There could easily be three fixtures to design and make and consequently three sets of datums to apply.Doing the job without an ATC and a tool length sensor would be pretty tedious and not much more straightforward with those advantages.

Add up the time to think the job through,design and make fixtures before making a single part,include both machining and finishing time and the cost of disposing of couple of dustbins full of walnut flakes and then add a working profit margin.Then wait for the gasp on the other end of the phone when you announce the final figure.......

Downloads
    Uploads

Worth sending your enquiry to total machining solutions sales@tms-ltd.net where I work. I cutbsome lovely Oak panels last year for a film job and we have pcd tooling which cuts wood well. Never machined walnut but every day is a school day

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day.