Need Help! SURFACE FINISH MILLING OPERATION

Thread: SURFACE FINISH MILLING OPERATION

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SURFACE FINISH MILLING OPERATION

Hello everyone!!!

I need advice or help if you like on what option to choose for optimum and good surface result for a mold i have designed.
    By saying that,i mean that i want someone to explain me if for example fixed contour is better for my occasion than zlevel profile for the finishing method and if yes what exactly would you do in your opinion?
    Below you will find the part attached (used siemens nx 10) Any help will be appreciated.

I am really confused with all these options i have to choose and since im a newbie everything seems like a big mountain i have to climp

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SURFACE FINISH MILLING OPERATION

It's not a simple answer.
    In general, zlevel is best for steeper areas, area milling for shallow areas, and flowcut for valleys and corners
    However, you can do just about everything with the options in zlevel and surface contouring area milling - like different patterns for steep and non steep for example.

To get a basic idea, go through the Die Machining and High Speed Machining tutorials at Menu > Help > Manufacturing Tutorials.

From the same page, you can also open up the mill contour sample part for mold machining.

Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks mark for your reply!!!

Can you please take a look at the part that i have attached and tell me what steps you would follow if you were me?
    just to see if im doing it correct.
    for example the process i followed was zlevel for roughing out material with a 6mm end mill after that another zlevel with a 4mm end mill this time and then a contour surface with a 3mm ball mill but i am disappointed on how the bottom corners are made.
    so i am trying to figure out how to generate a programm only for the bottom corners with a 2mm ball mill but as a result i end up with an empty programm.i am sure im doing something wrong thats why im asking for your help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For roughing, use cavity milling, which is based on volume removal. Zlevel profile is focused on the faces.

For your corner cleanout with the smaller tool, it depends on how you want to recognize the remaining material. You can use contour area or zlevel or flowcut with a reference tool. You can also use cavity milling with a 3D IPW (rest milling template). Hover the mouse pointer over each operation icon and the tooltips explain the basic differences.

Did you go through the tutorials?

Have you reviewed the Help documentation?

If you can't take the training classes, check out the Siemens PLM NX Manufacturing Forum

If you need help walking through these steps, I suggest you contact your reseller or GTAC for support.

Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM