quick question

Thread: quick question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default quick question

sorry in advance it's probably been said a thousand times.

i have my axis set up and working, just dialing in the configuration in UCCNC.

my question is how accurate is accurate?

if i ask the mill to move 30mm (units set as mm) it moves 29.9992

is that close enough? i would like it to move 30mm if i ask it to. am i expecting to much?

thanks neil

ps. sorry if posted in the wrong section

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: quick question

Hi Neil - If you change the DRO settings to 0.00mm units you will probably get 30.00mm (but this maybe not how far it actually moves, its just the theoretical movement) . But its the size of the job that matters! Is the resulting part 30.00mm? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Neil - If you change the DRO settings to 0.00mm units you will probably get 30.00mm (but this maybe not how far it actually moves, its just the theoretical movement) . But its the size of the job that matters! Is the resulting part 30.00mm? Peter
    hi Pete, thank you for the reply.

I zero'd the DRO and that said 29.9992, it was a basic straight line so no actual part made. I think I will mill out a square and measure that and report back.

thanks neil

Downloads
    Uploads

ok so i got the mill to move 30mm in the X direction and 30mm in the Y direction to basically mill a square slot .5mm depth of cut, i took a pic of the screen after each move, then measured the resulting square.

not even close to what i was hoping for lol, obviously i have some tuning to still do

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quick question-20210701_184025-jpg   quick question-20210701_184126-jpg   quick question-20210701_184254-jpg   quick question-20210701_184709-jpg  

quick question-20210701_184751-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

i spent some time today trying to fine tune it, i put the drill chuck in the mill along with a piece of tig welding wire sharpened to a point. i bent the wire to 90 deg so it could point along a ruler so i could count off the mm moved. i set it to move 100mm in the Y axis, and after a few runs managed to get it to move 100mm and the DRO was reading 100. i then copied the steps value into the X axis config tab and repeated the same test, and confirmed that also moved 100mm and read 100 in the DRO.

obviously without machining a part and measuring it i don't know how accurate it is, so that is next