Need Help! AXBB-E 6 axis wiring

Thread: AXBB-E 6 axis wiring

Downloads
    Uploads

Default AXBB-E 6 axis wiring

Hi all,

Has anybody successfully wired more than 4x axes to a cncdrive AXBB-E?
    Ive got the first 4x axes (X,Y,Z,A) working perfectly off the non-isolated side of port 1 (pins 09-16) but am having trouble with expansion of B and C axes on the isolated side using pins 5,6,7 and 8.
    I'm using Mach3 and have configured DIR/step pins correctly but feel it's a wiring issue rather than a software one.

A wiring diagram, photo or any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Even if you're using UCCNC, I'd love to see your wiring setups.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: AXBB-E 6 axis wiring

Quote Originally Posted by giffster View Post
    Hi all,

Ive got the first 4x axes (X,Y,Z,A) working perfectly off the non-isolated side of port 1 (pins 09-16) but am having trouble with expansion of B and C axes on the isolated side using pins 5,6,7 and 8.
    I'm using Mach3 and have configured DIR/step pins correctly but feel it's a wiring issue rather than a software one.

Thanks!
    I have not tried one but.
    If it's an isolation related issue (likely). Port 3 is non isolated. Get an IDC26 to DB25 cable and a cheap bob and connect to there.

It's based on the UC300eth controller which has 6 ports for various things. It uses ports #2 and #3 as the main basic type LPT ports we use all the time.
    The AXBB-E is a conbination of the 300's port numbers 1,2,4,5 & Analogue.
    The second standard type LPT port will be port #3 on the side of the BBE.

Last edited by dazp1976; 05-08-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice,
    That will be my next course of action, however the manufacturer does state that the isolated pins do support config of dir/step, so I thought I'd exhaust that avenue first.
    Comments definitely appreciated though. Keep them coming!
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice,
    That will be my next course of action, however the manufacturer does state that the isolated pins do support config of dir/step, so I thought I'd exhaust that avenue first.
    Comments definitely appreciated though. Keep them coming!
    Thanks!
    This is how I read it.

'There are 8 non-isolated outputs to be used as step and direction signals.There are 8 isolated outputs to drive relays, solid state relays, laser controller or anythingelse which require isolation'.

So no step/dir on the isolated.

'In addition to the breakout signals there is one IDC26 port on the board which has standardLPT port pinout. An IDC26 to DSUB25 cable (not included) can be used to connect an additional standard LPT port compatible breakout board'.

So more step/dir if needed.

Unless it's UCCNC itself... A limitation driving rotary axis items perhaps.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes - perhaps.
    An excerpt below from cncdrive admin - presumably someone within the manufacturer themselves.
    Yes - they only state this is possible using UCCNC, however surely this is a hardware capability, not software?... who knows, which is why I'm putting it out there.
    AXBB-E 6 axis wiring-01-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

Thanks!
    I've just been reading about all this isolation stuff because I'm looking at needing to do some kind of optocoupler thing with my servo encoder to fit to the ucbb board.

Anyway. If the AXBBE is isolated on those outputs using optocouplers. It is likely it's not going to run an axis on them afaic. Opto's use just a light beam to trigger the designated output/input, there is no physical connection inside it between it's in/out.
    I did not know that

Use port 3 and be done with it

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dazp,
    Yeah - Ive been doing a bit of reading over the last couple of days myself.
    I'm heading down the route of a UCSB attached to port 3. I just have to find some free space in the already tight control box.
    Appreciate the help.
    Cheers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dazp,
    Yeah - Ive been doing a bit of reading over the last couple of days myself.
    I'm heading down the route of a UCSB attached to port 3. I just have to find some free space in the already tight control box.
    Appreciate the help.
    Cheers.
    Sounds like a plan.
    My 300eth and 2* UCBB boards turned up the other day.
    Didn't quite visualize ther size until I got them out the box.
    Looks like I'll be having to board stack

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes - I ended up having to stack my UCSB too - even had a few mm to spare...
    I now have it successfully installed and running perfectly. The problem was definitely with the isolated pins.
    For future reference - anybody wondering if you can use an AXBB-E for 6 axes with MACH3? the answer is YES! providing you use a separate BOB on port 3 for the last 2x axes. In my case, the CNCdrive UCSB worked a treat.
    As of April 2021, current version of MACH3 with the current CNCdrive mach3 plugin works well, providing you install the plugin while the AXBB-E is connected to Ethernet port with crossover cable and the PC has a secondary NIC with an internet connection present.
    Cheers.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know thia ia probably an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c

Hi all,

Thanks!
    The short answer is that you CAN use the isolated outputs to drive steppers, and you DON'T need a separate breakout board, but it's more involved than wiring to the non-isolated outputs.

The non-isolated outputs and the isolated outputs work differently. With the non-isolated outputs, all the outputs have their commons connected to 5V0. You can use either the 5V0 on the power output pins or the 5V0 in the middle of the output section, they are both the same. The voltage on the pins of the non-isolated outputs will be either +5V or 0V, so you can connect a normal TTL type input to them and it will work. Or you could connect an output to the + side of a driver input and the - side of the driver input to 5V0 and it will work fine.

The isolated outputs are different. They are all referenced to 24V0, not 5V0, and they don't put out any voltage. The isolated outputs are more like a dry contact. To use them, you would need to connect the isolated output pin to the -VE input of the driver, and connect the +ve input of the driver to 24V+. NOTE, however, that if you do this, you will probably have to put a current limiting resistor in the +ve side of the driver input (or between the -ve input of the driver and the isolated output pin) because stepper drivers are often designed for 5V signals. If you don't put the current limiting resistor in, you can damage the driver input.

I have sketched up some options that you can use, I'll attach a PDF if I can figure out how.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

This looks promising, cheers for the info MrWolfe