axis settings/tuning cnc router

Thread: axis settings/tuning cnc router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default axis settings/tuning cnc router

I have 200 step per unit motors.

drivers are set to 1600 steps per revolution

Ball Screws are as follows:

Z axis 5mm lead x 15mm diameter (direct drive)

X axis 6mm lead x 19mm diameter (direct drive)

y axis 6mm lead x 25mm diameter ( this is driven by a belt drive under the gantry)

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axis settings/tuning cnc router-img_0984-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: axis settings/tuning cnc router

The motors are 200 full steps per revolution, not per unit. 1600 steps per revolution would be a correct setting if you were using 1 inch per revolution screws and 8x microstepping. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    The motors are 200 full steps per revolution, not per unit. 1600 steps per revolution would be a correct setting if you were using 1 inch per revolution screws and 8x microstepping. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.
    The Ah-Ha motor controller is set at 1600 steps per rev, or eighths. So what is the case? How do I determine my base settings. I can switch the motor controller to quarter, half and full steps as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: axis settings/tuning cnc router

The idea is to express a unit - in your case, I'm assuming that would be a millimeter, in terms of steps, or whatever microsteps you want to use. The pitch of a screw is how far it advances the nut with a full revolution. So, to take the example of your Z axis screw, with a 5mm pitch, a full revolution of 200 full steps would advance it 5 mm. Therefore 40 full steps would advance it one mm. If you apply a microstepping factor of 4 (quarter-steps), that makes 160 microsteps per unit. If that's what you're happy with in terms of resonance reduction, that's what you'd set your controller to. The same logic applies to your other screws, which have 6mm pitch. If you're using a belt drive with pulley reduction, then you have to take in that reduction factor into account as well.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]