UCCNC software won't take numbers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UCCNC software won't take numbers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UCCNC software won't take numbers

I have fought with the UCCNC software several times before, and I have tried to learn what it likes, but there seems some days you just can't please it.

Was cruising along with my UC100 and starting to have intermittent USB connection issues. Slowly but surely it got worse until I finally decided enough was enough and I couldn't have it loosing connection all the time mid job...

So I decided to put in the UC300ETH-5LPT I have had sitting here for at least a year.

Changed the jumper pin over to get some power, a quick IP configuration and I was good to go.

Threw the new license key into the folder and it promptly did a firmware update.

Restart the UCCNC software and it has wiped out my previous X, Y, Z, A axis settings. So I try put them back...

Now I know it doesn't like you scrolling up the number or directly putting a number in without pressing enter after every box, I can live with that small idiosyncrasy. But that is normally the end of it, I usually click apply and save buttons, and all is good with the world.

Problem is this time around, even after I give it a happy return after each number, it is defaulting everything back to zero again when I hit apply. I tried the invert tick box or whatever it is, and that saves fine, but it won't let me save the step and direction numbers etc.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong, am I not holding my tongue right? or am I missing something bigger here?

Similar Threads:
    If my post is missing the n't you might have to mentally add it yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC software won't take numbers

It won't let you apply and save the step/dir numbers because your settings are wrong.
    UCCNC defaults those numbers back to 0 if the setting is wrong, if you trying to select a port pin which cannot be selected for that function.
    For example you trying to select an input pin for the step/dir signals. That would not work because the function is not an input but an output.
    UCCNC knows that and 0 your setting out to let you see your error.

Now I know it doesn't like you scrolling up the number or directly putting a number in without pressing enter after every box, I can live with that small idiosyncrasy. But that is normally the end of it, I usually click apply and save buttons, and all is good with the world.
    There is a checkbox on the Appearance page to disable the need for the return/enter key.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    It won't let you apply and save the step/dir numbers because your settings are wrong.
    UCCNC defaults those numbers back to 0 if the setting is wrong, if you trying to select a port pin which cannot be selected for that function.
    For example you trying to select an input pin for the step/dir signals. That would not work because the function is not an input but an output.
    UCCNC knows that and 0 your setting out to let you see your error.

There is a checkbox on the Appearance page to disable the need for the return/enter key.
    Thanks for that, I have just taken out a PSU and two extra drivers that weren't being used (I am building a new controller box). Perhaps I changed something when I put it all back all the wiring.

I checked to make sure I put the step and direction pins back in the right place on the BoB but perhaps I wasn't as careful as I thought. I'll double check the wiring tomorrow.

If I disconnect the ethernet cable will it let me save settings then? (I don't care if it resets them it will confirm what you are saying).

I'll give the appearance page a look over for that setting

Downloads
    Uploads

OlfCNC I tried it with the BoB disconnected no go, so I disconnected the Ethernet cable and run it in demo mode, still no joy... No reason for it not to work in demo mode.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    OlfCNC I tried it with the BoB disconnected no go, so I disconnected the Ethernet cable and run it in demo mode, still no joy... No reason for it not to work in demo mode.
    Of course there is a reason for that. The demo mode simulates the same board so if something does not work in normal mode then it will also not work in demo mode the same way.

What port and pin number are you trying to set for the step/dir signals which do not work?

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course there is a reason for that. The demo mode simulates the same board so if something does not work in normal mode then it will also not work in demo mode the same way.

What port and pin number are you trying to set for the step/dir signals which do not work?
    Been out in the shed you hit the nail on the head... I used a UC100 demo went in and set Z axis to 6,7 and 1,1 and saved first go no arguments.
    Restarted UCCNC in UC300ETH5LPT demo and it wiped out my Z axis settings. Clearly the pin mapping is different between UC100 and UC300ETH5LPT

Could I please trouble you for the correct pins for X,Y,Z,A axis please.

Downloads
    Uploads

Port#1 on the UC300ETH is input port where pins 2 to 9 are inputs. On the UC100 those pins are outputs.
    That is the reason why it does not work for you, because you trying to use input pins for the step/dir, but they are output functions.
    Connect your BOB to port#2 on the UC300ETH that is normal port which has the same pinout as the UC100.

For the pin out of the UC300ETH port check the users guide or the diagnostics page in the UCCNC that also shows which pins are in and outputs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Port#1 on the UC300ETH is input port where pins 2 to 9 are inputs. On the UC100 those pins are outputs.
    That is the reason why it does not work for you, because you trying to use input pins for the step/dir, but they are output functions.
    Connect your BOB to port#2 on the UC300ETH that is normal port which has the same pinout as the UC100.

For the pin out of the UC300ETH port check the users guide or the diagnostics page in the UCCNC that also shows which pins are in and outputs.
    Getting a bit late now to be making noise out in the shed, but I have the BoB connected to Port 2 already (documentation says I can connect port 2 or 3 for regular LPT bidirectional function, and 1,4 &5 for input) but I am having problems even with the ethernet cable disconnected and running in demo mode putting in the same settings as the UC100. It wiped out the settings I had configured and saved in UC100 demo mode.

So the 4,5 1,1 for X, the 2,3 1,1 for Y, the 6,7 1,1 for Z, and the 8,9 1,1 I had for slaved A won't work on the UC300ETH5LPT. I could just try each of the numbers one at a time but there must be a list somewhere of what is default for the UC300ETH5LPT. If I can't get it to save in demo mode it won't save in real time.

Downloads
    Uploads

So the 4,5 1,1 for X, the 2,3 1,1 for Y, the 6,7 1,1 for Z, and the 8,9 1,1
    That is port#1 is what you trying to set that is why it does not work. Set 4,5 2,2 etc. to assign them to the pins of port#2.

Downloads
    Uploads

OlfCNC I've worked it out...

The Step / Direction pins are right, it is the Port that is wrong. I didn't make the mental connection to what Port 1 was. I just always set it to 1 without knowing. Now that I have fitted the UC300ETH5LPT and it uses "LPT" Port 2 or LPT Port 3, I need to update my settings to suit...

So I need 4,5 2,2 for X, the 2,3 2,2 for Y, the 6,7 2,2 for Z, and the 8,9 2,2 for the slaved A
    or 4,5 3,3 for X, the 2,3 3,3 for Y, the 6,7 3,3 for Z, and the 8,9 3,3 for the slaved A

Thank you so much for your help, this would have taken ages to work out.

- - - Updated - - -

That is port#1 is what you trying to set that is why it does not work. Set 4,5 2,2 etc. to assign them to the pins of port#2.
    Yes exactly just had that come to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, great.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, great.
    I spoke too soon...
    I changed over the all the relevant Port numbers to 2, and fired it up expecting to see it go... Nothing.
    All of the motors are getting warm like they usual do.
    I hear them do a little thump - like usual
    Power lights on all the drivers and BOB
    So I don't think the problem is in the driver side of things

I am using a crossover cable and I just checked the pin outs with my tester, according to the tester they check out as properly wired.
    There are two lights on the top of the UC300ETH-5LPT
    the top left is solid blue, the top right is solid orange
    the NIC left is solid orange and the NIC right is flashing orange very quickly.

I also tried Port 3 and changed the setting, still nothing.

Suggestions please I can't think of a reason it's not working. I can pinch a hub from around the house and try it if necessary, but am I missing a simple setting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I spoke too soon...
    I changed over the all the relevant Port numbers to 2, and fired it up expecting to see it go... Nothing.
    All of the motors are getting warm like they usual do.
    I hear them do a little thump - like usual
    Power lights on all the drivers and BOB
    So I don't think the problem is in the driver side of things

I am using a crossover cable and I just checked the pin outs with my tester, according to the tester they check out as properly wired.
    There are two lights on the top of the UC300ETH-5LPT
    the top left is solid blue, the top right is solid orange
    the NIC left is solid orange and the NIC right is flashing orange very quickly.

I also tried Port 3 and changed the setting, still nothing.

Suggestions please I can't think of a reason it's not working. I can pinch a hub from around the house and try it if necessary, but am I missing a simple setting?
    I would compare with the UC100 settings you have to see if anything is missing (should be the same pin numbers just with port#2). Maybe an enable signal or a charge pump signal setting is missing which your BOB might require to work.

Downloads
    Uploads

The light on the UC300ETH sound right?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. If the blue LED is on then it is connected to the UCCNC and is working fine.
    And the same time if you do not see the "demo mode" in the header of the UCCNC window then it is running in connected mode not demo.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK well the only thing I can think to try is find a hub and few normal cables and give that a go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it working, but I am not happy with how I achieved it... I had to drop the kernel frequency to 25kHz, so much for 400kHz...Doesn't matter if I use a hub or the crossover cable it will only work on 25kHz.
    That is less than I got with the UC100, That was one of the prime reasons I bought it, I'm feeling ripped off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most stepper drives will not work at 400Khz, as the pulse widths are too short. Even the best stepper drives have a max of 200-250Khz.
    But even at 400Khz, you should see something happening.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Most stepper drives will not work at 400Khz, as the pulse widths are too short. Even the best stepper drives have a max of 200-250Khz.
    But even at 400Khz, you should see something happening.
    The PC I am using is an old Point Of Sale machine running Win XP. I am going to try my laptop (virtual Windows 7) to see if the limitation is in the PC.
    When I try 50kHz it make the smallest little click so quietly, barely decernable. Does it once at that's it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The PC should have nothing to do with it.
    Sounds like your breakout board or drives can not handle the higher frequencies.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast