UCCNC software won't take numbers - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UCCNC software won't take numbers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC software won't take numbers

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The PC should have nothing to do with it.
    Sounds like your breakout board or drives can not handle the higher frequencies.
    But I was running 50kHz or 100kHz with the UC100, although... I am now using a ribbon cable I wasn't once using. I wonder if that is a problem?

I am still waiting on confirmation that the UB-1 is still the ducks guts of BOBs to go for (within reasonable price range). I have another cheap one here I could try.

If my post is missing the n't you might have to mentally add it yourself.

What do you stand to gain by running 50hz over 25hz?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    What do you stand to gain by running 50hz over 25hz?
    Smoother instructions. UC100 is supposed to do up to 100kHz the newer UC300ETH is supposed to do up to 400kHz.

That says nothing about what your drivers will handle...

For the record, I have to run 25kHz with my UC300eth. But my machine runs awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    That says nothing about what your drivers will handle...

For the record, I have to run 25kHz with my UC300eth. But my machine runs awesome.
    Well I know they handle at least 50kHz because they have been running like that for probably the last 5 years.

For ****s and giggles I tested ger21's theory that the PC will have no bearing on the frequency. And he was 100% correct my laptop made zero difference. Which brings it back to being a BOB or cable issue.

Seeing that I did one further test... What if the BOB was starting to play up and that was the reason for my UC100 loosing connection? You would think it was USB related going off the message, but plenty of program writers are crap at writing error messages.

So I put the UC100 back in the system and tried running it at 50kHz like it was previously running. Nope didn't want to know about it. So I backed it off to 25kHz and it ran fine. So I finished doing a test cut that I was in the middle doing when I finally had enough. It seemed to run fine.

Which leads me to the conclusion that perhaps there is nothing wrong with the UC100, just that it was no longer happy to run at the higher frequency.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which leads me to the conclusion that perhaps there is nothing wrong with the UC100, just that it was no longer happy to run at the higher frequency.
    This would lead me to the breakout board or drives, not the UC100.

Both the UC100 and UC300ETH work at 25Khz, but not higher frequencies.

I've never heard of any controller not being able to run at all of their available frequencies, and you think you have this issue with both?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never heard of any controller not being able to run at all of their available frequencies, and you think you have this issue with both?
    I have been using the UC100 at 45Khz setting in Mach3 for a number of years, which is the happy place for most computers,and has never had a problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Well I know they handle at least 50kHz because they have been running like that for probably the last 5 years.

For ****s and giggles I tested ger21's theory that the PC will have no bearing on the frequency. And he was 100% correct my laptop made zero difference. Which brings it back to being a BOB or cable issue.

Seeing that I did one further test... What if the BOB was starting to play up and that was the reason for my UC100 loosing connection? You would think it was USB related going off the message, but plenty of program writers are crap at writing error messages.

So I put the UC100 back in the system and tried running it at 50kHz like it was previously running. Nope didn't want to know about it. So I backed it off to 25kHz and it ran fine. So I finished doing a test cut that I was in the middle doing when I finally had enough. It seemed to run fine.

You have a EMI noise problem that most likely is causing your lost contact

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, that was what I meant (was late) that something else appears to be the root cause not the UC100 or UC300ETH.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You have a EMI noise problem that most likely is causing your lost contact
    Quite possible, wiring looks like a dogs breakfast at the moment. I am about to build a new control box, so I will fix up all the leads when I do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quite possible, wiring looks like a dogs breakfast at the moment. I am about to build a new control box, so I will fix up all the leads when I do that.
    It's not just about wiring it is also how you have it protected Do you have a Power Filter for the VFD Drive do you have a Power Filter for any switch mode Power supplies this is where most of the noise comes from and the EMI Power Filters will take care of that

Here is a suggestion for your VFD Drive Input Power Filter this needs to be mounted close to the VFD Drive TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L you can use the same for any power supplies just lower amperage rating

Correct Ground of you system is also vey important

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not just about wiring it is also how you have it protected Do you have a Power Filter for the VFD Drive do you have a Power Filter for any switch mode Power supplies this is where most of the noise comes from and the EMI Power Filters will take care of that

Here is a suggestion for your VFD Drive Input Power Filter this needs to be mounted close to the VFD Drive TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L you can use the same for any power supplies just lower amperage rating

Correct Ground of you system is also vey important
    Currently the VFD isn't incorporated into the system, it has to this point been separate to the system. At this very moment I am drawing up a brand new controller stand. It will incorporate the VFD both physically and electrically.

Downloads
    Uploads

Designing is nearly done. I plan to section the PSUs and the drivers from each other with a divider wall. The wall will go between the 200mm fan and the 120mm fans.
    At the moment I am leaning towards putting the VFD on the back wall so I can feed the display / VFD control panel into the same board as the touch screen monitor.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC software won't take numbers-cnc-controller1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Currently the VFD isn't incorporated into the system, it has to this point been separate to the system. At this very moment I am drawing up a brand new controller stand. It will incorporate the VFD both physically and electrically.
    Separate to the system is not a good idea, if there is anywhere that the 2 systems are Grounded on the same machine then you will have a Ground loop this can create some serious noise problems

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Designing is nearly done. I plan to section the PSUs and the drivers from each other with a divider wall. The wall will go between the 200mm fan and the 120mm fans.
    At the moment I am leaning towards putting the VFD on the back wall so I can feed the display / VFD control panel into the same board as the touch screen monitor.
    Yes a divider plate / panel is good but does not eliminate the need for EMI Power filters

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Separate to the system is not a good idea, if there is anywhere that the 2 systems are Grounded on the same machine then you will have a Ground loop this can create some serious noise problems
    Been back to the drawing board. I have a sheet of 5mm aluminum here I was planning to use for another project but it never happened (CNC bed). I can mount all the drivers and PSUs on it and run a ground strap from the VFD to the ally plate. The PC PSU I would probably leave isolated since the only connection between the controller and the PC will be a network cable. Would need to investigate EMI power filtering.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCCNC software won't take numbers-final-cnc-controller-1-jpg   UCCNC software won't take numbers-final-cnc-controller-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Been back to the drawing board. I have a sheet of 5mm aluminum here I was planning to use for another project but it never happened (CNC bed). I can mount all the drivers and PSUs on it and run a ground strap from the VFD to the ally plate. The PC PSU I would probably leave isolated since the only connection between the controller and the PC will be a network cable. Would need to investigate EMI power filtering.
    You have a Star Point, Grounding in any Machine Build all main Grounds connect to the same point this can be a Bus or a stud, Shield Grounds attach direct to the Ground Plane which is you Grounded mounted Plate

The EMI Power Filter is mounted close to the VFD Drive, Main power going to the VFD Drive Plus Ground is connected to the Filter and then out to the VFD Drive, the Power Filter I already posted the best type of Filter to use, this has been used by lots of builders on the Zone with 100% success if installed correctly

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You have a Star Point, Grounding in any Machine Build all main Grounds connect to the same point this can be a Bus or a stud, Shield Grounds attach direct to the Ground Plane which is you Grounded mounted Plate
    Can you do me a drawing of what your talking about? I thought by having all the drivers and the PSUs on the same aluminum plate they automatically connected to the same point where the VFD comes off. It sounds like you are saying I should have every driver and every PSU, plus the VFD all ground to one central point???

Shielding like on the cables?

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 03-06-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The EMI Power Filter is mounted close to the VFD Drive, Main power going to the VFD Drive Plus Ground is connected to the Filter and then out to the VFD Drive, the Power Filter I already posted the best type of Filter to use, this has been used by lots of builders on the Zone with 100% success if installed correctly
    I think I may have a EMI power filter already on the system. I needed a IEC socket so I am pretty sure I bought one of these https://www.jaycar.com.au/iec-emi-po...6-amp/p/MS4003
    Jaycar also has these https://www.jaycar.com.au/240v-ac-emi-filter/p/MS4001
    Do I need more? Which type? Where would I put them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Just ordered two 967-RSEN-2030L

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast