Need Help! Total Newbie: UCCNC and Sherline CNC lathe

Thread: Total Newbie: UCCNC and Sherline CNC lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Total Newbie: UCCNC and Sherline CNC lathe

Hi there...i picked up a used sherline cnc lathe 4410 + rotary table with a computer UCCNC installed, a UC100 dongle and a sherline stepper motor controller. It also came with a imach 3 p4s pendant.

As per my title, I am a total newbie. I have used the lather manually for the last couple of months but now would like to use the cnc element to manufacture prototype parts.

Everything seems to be working. I can move the 3 axis with the pendant and UCCNC using the step control.

However the continuous mode does not work and I can only move each axis step by step if the step size is very small (0.001) and I increased it slowly. If I move the pendant wheel too fast, the stepper motor does not follow. The same happens if I move each axis with uccnc. It only works if I select step and step size of 0.001 and I pause between the steps.

I was wondering if you would have any idea of what is wrong.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Total Newbie: UCCNC and Sherline CNC lathe

First thing I'd try is remove the pendant plugin, and see if you can jog with the keyboard.

Also note that UCCNC does not have a lathe mode, so is probably not the best choice for a lathe. Especially for a beginner.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    First thing I'd try is remove the pendant plugin, and see if you can jog with the keyboard.

Also note that UCCNC does not have a lathe mode, so is probably not the best choice for a lathe. Especially for a beginner.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have removed the pendant (and disable the plugin) and can jog with the keyboard only using the step size of 0.001 and slowly.