UCCNC license - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCCNC license

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC license

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I also do a bit of programming on and off but it's just microcontroller stuff....with that there is also risk of code "faults'. After many years of doing this i am no expert but i usually get satisfactory results. Our machines here at work have various plc programming issues, but due to the complexity of them we just work around it
    What I come to realise a long time ago is there is no such thing as perfect software, because to encompass every single contingency it would make the software so large and unmanageable, that you are likely to introduce more problems trying to solve what you don't address. You only need to look at Windows networking to see an example of something half done. The wizards that are supposed to fix your networking issues probably fix one problem in every hundred issues you have. There is no rhyme or reason to the way they try to solve problems, only to be left with a message saying they can't fix it. Windows networking has never been anything better than just bearable for the last 20 years.

So while we would like to think perfect software exists, if you look hard enough you can find fault in just about every piece of software ever written, even if it is something as simple as the tab order being badly organised. While UCCNC isn't perfect I would consider it to be in that category of software where I don't want to rip out somebody's throat, not something I can say about every piece of MS software. I think you will find your experience with UCCNC to be a mostly pleasant one.

If my post is missing the n't you might have to mentally add it yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you never open a document and it be blank, closed it and reopen for it to open fine, not corrupted but not read?
    No, I haven't either. It sounds like your experiences with Windows is very different from mine.

I would put "failure to read a CD or DVD" in an entirely different category.

The software also checks for the license key every time, instead of just the once at install time. So this adds additional unnecessary complexity. The license text file is decrypted every single time, and compared against the statically (or dynamically) created key inside the software. All you need is a glitch in the reading of the file for it not to create the right match and throw an error.
    Checking the license file probably takes a small fraction of a second when running UCCNC. If you are repeatedly seeing glitches in file reading, I'd suspect failing hardware. Windows 8.1 and 10 have been rock solid for me for the last 3+ years. And XP was as well before that.
    Our $150K router at work is still running just fine on an 11 year old XP PC. No glitches there either.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you are repeatedly seeing glitches in file reading, I'd suspect failing hardware.
    I wouldn't call it "repeated" glitches, but I do a clean install every time a new version of the software comes out, so I am guaranteed to see it at least once every time I do a fresh install for the reasons I mentioned above. Let's call it a "feature" of the UCCNC software. Actually glitches are very few and far between but they have happened on the odd occasion, what exactly caused them is anybody's guess, but random stuff like that which occurs once in a blue moon is something I put no effort into finding out what went wrong.

I would need to spend far more time going through the software to find the random cause, then it would take to simply crack the software and make it not look for a license file.

An error that pops up every single time I use the software, or one that crashes the program is something I can't live with. Fortunately UCCNC has become more stable as time goes by. I have yet to see how it goes on Windows 10 as I have only just loaded it back on today.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't call it "repeated" glitches, but I do a clean install every time a new version of the software comes out, so I am guaranteed to see it at least once every time I do a fresh install for the reasons I mentioned above.
    There's no reason to do this, and it just adds unnecessary complication. Just install over the previous version, and all of your "issues" should go away.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    There's no reason to do this, and it just adds unnecessary complication. Just install over the previous version, and all of your "issues" should go away.
    Carry over from tech support days... Rip out all traces of a previous version of the software for a clean install. Doesn't worry me that I see the message since I know why it happens. Was just reassuring eriks that it wasn't him doing something wrong, and is completely normal for a clean install.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12