New Machine Build UCCNC and trigger control for adhesive dispensing

Thread: UCCNC and trigger control for adhesive dispensing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UCCNC and trigger control for adhesive dispensing

As I was typing this post, it crossed my mind to try a different search term, and low and behold I think the obvious came bubbling up to try the Vectric drag knife gadget. (Duh,or"DOE!" as Homer would say it) but I thought the post might still be helpful to others. I will come back to share the results and maybe there is input from others along the same lines.

My glue extrusion machine is almost there.

What I'm attempting to do is extrude (dispense) liquid glue patterns on a flat bed machine from a solenoid fired head to place glue on a paper sheet in a very precise manner and position. I am using UCCNC and a G540 to fire solenoids with relays. X and Y axis' position the "head" where needed using Vectric V-Carve software and a Mach3 post processor. The glue head is mounted as a router would be with no spindle rotation but need to be fired in 2 ways. The head has one solenoid that lowers the head instantly to a manually set fixed "z" height and another solenoid that is relay fired on and off to extrude (dispense) liquid adhesive where needed.

As it is setup now, I have opted to control both these actions with M7 (mist) and M8 (flood) relays. When the M7 is active the head pops down instantly and when M8 is active the glue pneumatically dispenses and of course both stop when the M-codes do. The X and Y motion controls where the glue goes and how fast it travels on the toolpaths giving me a very controllable "bead" of adhesive in a beautifully accurate placing.

My question at this point, is whether using M7 and M8 control is a good stradegy. My thinking was that the delays available in UCCNC would be handy to start the glue in a very precise mannner as it runs the toolpath. It looks to me like the next step for G-Code control as it is now set up, is to edit my post processing to incorporate these relay triggers into the custom pattern GCode needed for each job but my experience in post processing edits is nill and if there is an easier way, I'm all ears before I delve into the world of post processing.

The actions needed are very similar to what is needed for a drag knife plotter but I'm not aware of a post processor in Vectric V-Carve pro that is suitable.

Currently my Z axis control in UCCNC is not used at all. Would there be a way to use Z to "trigger" these commands as opposed to turning a spindle and lowering it as a router would?

Any thoughts? Ken

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC and trigger control for adhesive dispensing

Maybe the laser control codes, but the M7/M8 may be simpler? But you'll need to play with the post. Maybe turn on M7/M8 with the first move in Vectric.
    I guess it depends on how precise you need to start and stop.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ger,
    When you say laser control codes, are you suggesting a particular post processor in Vectric?

Downloads
    Uploads

See M10.1 in the UCCNC manual. But it's only available with a UC400ETH and UC300ETH, so you can't use it with the UC100

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    See M10.1 in the UCCNC manual. But it's only available with a UC400ETH and UC300ETH, so you can't use it with the UC100
    Or check M10 and M11 it works with the UC100.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would think about using Plasma mode. Considering there is always a lag between command and actual product flow I would use flow switches on the dispenser and when then flow was detected then the motion would start. Use the Arc OK signal input.

Just a thought, (;-) TP