UB1 + UC300ETH wiring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UB1 + UC300ETH wiring

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UB1 + UC300ETH wiring

I posted this over at CNCDrive forum but (oddly) haven't received a response. Maybe somone here can chime in.

Plasma project reaching the wiring stage and need a sanity check on my I/O connections. I figured this would be the best place to post a question even though it's not UCCNC-specific.

UCCNC300ETH
    UB1 BOB
    Automation Tech KL-5080H drives (4/ea - X, Y/A slaved, Z)
    Neuron Lite THC w/ohmic + float

Looking for a critique for the basic e-stop, limit, and motor drive connectionis to UB1. Condensed diagram attached, as well as drive manual.

Settings
    1. Estop is conventional latching NC mushroom connected to X103. UCCNC Estop assigned to P1-P2 (X102)
    2. Limits are NC microswitches. UCCNC axis limits assigned to P1-P15
    3. Drive(s) - Alarm/fault acts as NC switch. NOT-fault state is low impedance (closed), fault state is high impedance (open).
    4. Drive(s) - Drive enabled when ENA+ receives 24VDC. ENA- to 0VDC. Drive disabled when 24VDC to ENA+ is stopped. UCCNC axis enable assigned to P3-P1
    5. UB1 OSSD solder bridges - will bridge X104 through X107 for all four drive ALM+ pins
    6. Z-limit microswitch is connected to Neuron controller as a home switch. Not connected to UB1. All Z-axis signals other than ALM are handled by Neuron.

Intention:
    1. Estop button signals UCCNC of reset condition
    2. Any limit switch opening signals UCCNC of reset condition
    3. Any drive going in to alarm state signals UCCNC of reset condition
    4. Any reset condition disables all drives

Second question:
    I have a breakaway torch mount with an NC microswitch. I can add this to the OSSD safety circuit on X108, or I could connect to a standard input to signal a feed-hold.

Opinions on triggering reset vs. feedhold - i.e. what is the reality of re-mounting the torch and continuing the cut after a breakaway event?

All comments welcome.
    Thanks,
    Ralph

UB1 + UC300ETH wiring-plasma-rev1-ub1-condensed-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UB1 + UC300ETH wiring-plasma-rev1-ub1-condensed-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UB1 + UC300ETH wiring

The reason you did not get much responce from teh UCCNC forum is MOST of your questions were concerning teh UB1 board. THAT is not a UCCNC product. You may want to direct those questions directly to CNCRoom who makes teh UB1 board.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't see any relationship between your questions and the UC300ETH or UCCNC. The questions are about how to build the machine with your hardware. To answer your questions one has to build your machine, at least mentally. Basically, you ask for someone else to do your homework, and not many people have so much time. I know this is not the answer you expect but this can be a reason why you didn't get any response. Another reason may be that it is summer time, and that means less time in front of computers and more time spent on family and friends or outdoor activities.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The reason you did not get much responce from teh UCCNC forum is MOST of your questions were concerning teh UB1 board. THAT is not a UCCNC product. You may want to direct those questions directly to CNCRoom who makes teh UB1 board.

I've read dozens of threads on the UCCNC forum - and participated in a few - which had very little to do with UCCNC or CNCDrive products. Stepper/servo drive issues, BOB wiring, etc. Gerry's announcement and later discussion of the UB1 BOB is one of the most-read threads on the forum. Given the fact that dezsoe and CNCDrive have participated in many, many troubleshooting threads that were only partly related to the CNCDrive products I was under the impression that the UCCNC forum was a reasonable place to post my question(s).

Perhaps I was wrong, but there are over 150 threads or posts on the forum related to the UB1 board - seemed like a good place to start.

I can't see any relationship between your questions and the UC300ETH or UCCNC

Because I have to (eventually) integrate the features/connections on the UB1 with the UCCNC software. As in - I should connect component xxx to UB1 pin yyy, and UCCNC should be set to Port x, Pin x if I want xyz function to work.

Basically, you ask for someone else to do your homework, and not many people have so much time.

I'm sorry you got that impression. This is not my first build, and with as many mistakes as I've made in the past I thought it prudent to ask more experienced folks to double-check my plan. I know there are a number of people who frequent the CNCDrive forum who have already been down this path; I was simply hoping for a review of the connections. Frankly, I'm quite sure there are any number of people who are more experienced than am I at deciphering motor drive manuals written by non-English speakers.

Seriously - thank you both for your responses, and for your not-insignificant contributions to the UCCNC community.

Regards,
    Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the most probable reason you did not get an answer because they don't know the answer to your question.
    I don't know either because I'm unfamiliar with the UB1 and with the Neuron THC.
    The best idea is to ask the manufacturer of those devices. I'm sure they can give you answers.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have still missed one or two possible reasons for not getting answers.
    1. Nobody knows.
    2. Summer holydays.
    3. It is not a CNC Drive product.

...and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

In the hobby world, wiring is a matter of personal preference. Ask 10 people, and they'd do it 10 different ways.

And since you are asking about Plasma, that would typically limit people that would answer to plasma users. While there are more and more UCCNC users here, I don't see any posts from plasma users.
    I've never used a plasma, so I don't know how a plasma machine would be wired.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using UCCNC on plasma machine and I still can't give answer because I don't know the UB1 and the THC he is using.
    It requires knowledge of all those components to answer the question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ralph I did not mean to put you down. I just wanted to explain why you may not have gotten a quick reply from teh UCCNC forum.

I now Plasma and I now THCs BUT I do not have any idea about teh interface betweeen UCCNC and teh UB1 so I and most others would be guessing and that is not what you need.

Sorry, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all. I knew it might have been a shot in the dark, but I didn't do the math in my head...

X number of people who

- have UCCNC
    - have UC300ETH
    - have UB1
    - using for plasma
    - have Neuron
    - and who read internet forum
    - and who want to respond with technical information
    - and who aren't busy with other things..

Didn't consider that might be a population of zero.

Ok, so ignoring the UB1 & other control hardware does anyone have a mag-mount torch head with a switch?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    Thanks all. I knew it might have been a shot in the dark, but I didn't do the math in my head...

X number of people who

- have UCCNC
    - have UC300ETH
    - have UB1
    - using for plasma
    - have Neuron
    - and who read internet forum
    - and who want to respond with technical information
    - and who aren't busy with other things..

Didn't consider that might be a population of zero.

Ok, so ignoring the UB1 & other control hardware does anyone have a mag-mount torch head with a switch?
    I think you're right.

I have a second Z axis which is not driven, but freely moving on the top of the Z axis and a switch on the top.
    When the torch touches the plate then this second Z axis moves up switching activating the switch.
    This how I probe the plate.
    If this was the question?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have one of those too, but I'm calling it - based on jargon I've picked up - a floating torch head/holder. I'm also using a ohmic sensor for the primary height sensor with the floating head switch as a backup for dirty/painted material.

What I'm talking about is a magnetic torch holder that will break away in case of a crash. If there's a tip-up and the torch runs in to it the torch & holder will - hopefully - snap off without damaging the torch. The holder is mounted to the Z-axis with magnets and located with bearing balls seated in pockets. I have an NC switch mounted on the Z-axis slide that will trigger if the torch holder is dislocated in any direction. The bearing balls cam out of the pockets, the holder moves off the face of the slide, and the switch breaks contact.

As I stated in my first post, I can use the torch mount switch to trigger either an e-stop or feed-hold. Either way I need to make sure the torch turns off when the switch is tripped. My question is, basically, what is the likelihood of successfully re-mounting the torch after a break-away event and continuing with a 'run from here' if I choose to set the switch as a feed hold?

If there's no way I can realistically pick up the cut after remounting the torch then I'll just stick with an e-stop function.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE (for future reference/searches)

Everything is sorted out and working with the UC300ETH/UB1/Neuron Lite combination. Haven't tried the actual plasma cutter yet, but all motion control functions are working as desired.

1. UB1 must be set to 5LPT mode, not UB1 mode (Neuron screenset not compatible with UB1 mode at the moment)

2. In my case, all switches, drive fault states, and drive enable states are normally closed (NC). Any broken wire/terminal will trigger e-stop.

3. UB1 OSSD output is set to e-stop in UCCNC as Prt1 Pin2. Any input solder-bridged in to the OSSD chain will deactivate the OSSD output.

4. E-stop button is X103, torch breakaway switch is X104. Drives fault/alarm are X105-X108. All solder-bridged to OSSD circuit.

5. Drive enable signals work when connected to Yxxx outputs.

6. Above combination works - if any drive faults (or mag switch or e-stop button), OSSD output is deactivated triggering UCCNC e-stop and all drive enable signals are shut down.

7. Z-axis is enabled in UCCNC even though the Neuron Lite is controlling it directly. No step/dir pins are assigned, but enabling drive means it can be incorporated in to the above fault/enable scheme. It will also shut down if any of the other motors fault.

8. Neuron high-speed hardware THC input works when connected to any of the UB1 Yxxx outputs.

9. Plan on setting up UCCNC with Metric units regardless of your preference. The Neuron plugin and cut profiles are - for the moment - only in Metric. Trying to program/CAD/CAM in Imperial with a Metric Z-axis sounded like a bad idea.

Yhe Automation Technologies NEMA23 3-phase closed-loop steppers are amazing. Quiet, cheap, and they're driving the plasma over 38000mm/m (1500IPM) with 6000mm/s2 acceleration - and the machine hasn't been precision leveled or straightened yet. There's plenty of headroom in the acceleration settings when I get the rails & gantry tuned up.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

-Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    1. UB1 must be set to 5LPT mode, not UB1 mode (Neuron screenset not compatible with UB1 mode at the moment)
    Hi Ralph,

that bit is rather interesting. Was this something you found out through some experimenting, or something you were told by the manufacturer of the UB1.

Reason is the UB1 manual says both modes are pin compatible with the UC300ETH-5LPT, except in 5LPT mode, analog channel output 2 will not function properly, whereas in UB1 mode, it will.

This is why I don't understand how the mode setting could have any connection with the Neuron screenset, which does not use analogue I/O.

Keith.

Downloads
    Uploads

Keith,

Keep in mind that what follows is 2nd-hand - I'm not an electronics expert. I got this from Andrew at Neuron after I pestered him quite a lot trying to work out some issues with the above combo.

Short version - motherboards that accept a UC300ETH or other 'plug-in' controller from CNCDrive have a resistor somewhere on the BOB. The UC300ETH can sense this resistance value and passes it along to UCCNC software. This is how UCCNC 'knows' what version you're using and various features are enabled/disabled.

If you plug a UC100 or UC400ETH in to a computer that has a UC300ETH license file, it'll throw up - the wrong motion controller is reporting to the software. All well and good so far.

However, If you plug a UC300ETH in to the PC with the right license file UCCNC works and it picks the correct BOB. How does UCCNC know what BOB you've plugged your licensed UC300ETH in to?

The resistor, that's how.

If you want to check it yourself, run UCCNC in demo mode and see that you're presented with a growing list of UC300ETH variations: UC300ETH-5LPT, UC300ETH-UB1, and so on.

I suspect that CNCDrive issues a resistance value to any manufacturer who proposes to build/market a UC300ETH-compatible motherboard/BOB thing, and whenever the next test version of UCCNC comes out it'll have that resistance value associated with the new BOB. I 'suspect' because CNCDrive hasn't published this, and I'm not going to ask because I don't really care. Their stuff works just fine without me digging that deep, but if you recall from the recent announcement of CNCDrive's new (nice!) BOB, they published v1.2048 really, really fast. There was no published difference between 1.2047 - except 1.2048 recognizes the new BOB.

This is how the UB1 has both 'modes' available. In addition to the functional differences (analog outputs stuff), there are two resistors on the UB-1. One equals the assigned "UB-1" value, and the other is for the 5LPT motherboard. You swap pins, and UCCNC now sees the BOB as a 5LPT.

The issue I had is that the Neuron plugin doesn't work with the UB-1, but it does with the 5LPT motherboard. When I loaded the Neuron profile I'd get a blank UCCNC screen and error messages no matter what I did (fiddling with .ssf and .pro file names). So I bother Andrew, swap one jumper so the UB-1 emulates a 5LPT - magically all is good.

Again, this is mostly speculation/deduction on my part. I'm sure there are non-OEM CNCDrive folks who know this already but it's not discussed because it doesn't really matter to the end users. Except for me and my oddball setup.

-Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it works a little bit differently that what you are describing.

The license file is tied to the motion controller serial number, and is really not related to this. They need to match, or UCCNC won't work.

The resistor is correct, as it tells UCCNC which motherboard the UC300ETH is plugged in to.

If you want to check it yourself, run UCCNC in demo mode and see that you're presented with a growing list of UC300ETH variations: UC300ETH-5LPT, UC300ETH-UB1, and so on.
    What you are actually seeing here is a list of screens to load. In UCCNC, each motion controller has it's own screenset. If there is no motion controller, you get to pick which screenset actually loads.

(A screenset file actually contains multiple screensets , although it can also contain as few as one.)

If you select a motion controller with no associated screenset, then UCCNC will load with a blacnk screen (Iirc).

So I think the issue is that the Neuron screenset you are using does not contain a UB-1 version of the screenset.

You can create one in about 5 minutes, by opening the .ssf file, selecting the 5LPT portion

//REGION UC300ETH_5LPT
    //ENDREGION UC300ETH_5LPT

Copy it to Notepad, replace all instances of 5LPT with UB1, and copy and paste at the end of the .ssf file.

Then the Neuron Screenset should work with the UB1 in UB1 mode.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Interesting; not a real compatibility issue but a screenset thing. So the resistor thing is correct... but we could 'trick' UCCNC to load a different motherboard screen by editing the .ssf file. Not that i need it as the plasma doesn't have any analog I/O , but good to know in the future.

Thanks for the clarification!

-Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

The screen file (.ssf) contains separate screens for each motion controller, so you can change them to whatever you want.
    When I created my 2017 Screenset, I started with the 5LPT screen, then just copied and pasted it for each motion controller, then load each screen in demo mode to edit the changes specific to that screen.

Where it gets tricky is when I need to make changes, as I need to make then 6-8 times. I'll often edit the .ssf file in Notepad, using find and replace, as it's faster. Provided you don't make any typos.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Would Notepad++ be easier to do the 'batch' updates? You could have all the varients open in tabs and flip between them using the same find & replace window open on top.

Thanks again for the explanation, as well as the 2017 screenset. Looking forward to the update next year.

-Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

Would Notepad++ be easier to do the 'batch' updates? You could have all the variants open in tabs and flip between them using the same find & replace window open on top.
    Not for me. I'd rather not separate everything.
    It's really pretty simple to keep it all together. Just add the items to the UC100 screen, then open the .ssf, copy the added lines, and use Find to find the previous line, then Paste.

I use Notepad ++ for my C# stuff, though.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast