UCCNC in Windows tablet?

Thread: UCCNC in Windows tablet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UCCNC in Windows tablet?

Anyone tried running on a Windows tablet? I mean the inexpensive kind with the Atom processor. Technically they are dual core, run at 1.85 Gigahertz, and come with ~16GB of ram. They claim to run a full Windows 10.

I was looking for an integrated setup I can leave next to the machine, but not take up too much space. I started looking at a full sized all-in-one, but they are expensive and still take up a lot of space. Then a mini-ITX box I can tuck away and a small 10” touchscreen monitor next to the machine. Then I saw that I could get a tablet running Windows for what the monitor alone would cost. That is very tempting.

I know there are Raspberry Pi/Arduino/bCNC/Grbl setups running CNC routers, and a Raspberry isn’t a more powerful computer than an Atom based Windows machine. but I don’t want to leave UCCNC just to de-clutter my workspace. Anyone have experience with running UCCNC from a Windows tablet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC in Windows tablet?

I'm not running a tablet but found some videos for you:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    I'm not running a tablet but found some videos for you:

Thanks! That little Toshiba is just what I had in mind. These little Atom powered tablets are about $100. That would be a great solution for making space on my workbench.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which motion controller do you use? The biggest problem with tablets is that usually they have only one USB port and no ethernet, only wifi. If you have a UCxxxETH card then you have to use a media converter (USB to ethernet), because wifi is unuseable in practice. It is not impossible. I have a Dell Venue 11 pro 5130 and it works fine with UCCNC. I have a powered USB3 hub to connect the media converter or a UC100 (I have more UC controllers both USB and ethernet), a self-made remote controller (also USB) and sometimes a wireless keyboard with USB receiver. The GUI is a bit slow on startup, but after it started it's OK. As UCCNC can run without installation, make a copy to a pendrive and you can test the tablets if somebody around you has any. The only requirement is .Net 2 (3.5). There will be no sound if you start without installation, but that's not needed to test it.

Last edited by dezsoe; 12-23-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Sorry, I linked the same two videos, so I removed. :)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a UC100 dongle. A friend is lending me an Acer One to see if I can make it work before I spend $150 on a tablet. Just getting Windows to install properly has been a day long ordeal (the hard drive had been wiped). If it works I’ll order a tablet with an Atom Z8350 an 4GB of ram. That will be step up from the Atom N450 in this little laptop.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 8.9" tablet and a 11.6" convertable. The 8.9 is closer to 4:3, but it is still too little to use as a touch pad. Then I got the 11.6 and it is not much taller than the 8.9. It may work for UCCNC, as the screen is not as cluttered as Mach.

I don't know if there is a standard, but it looks like the odd ending numbers are 4:3 and the even ones are 16:9 (or So). My $100 Insignia has one USB C port and in the base it has 2 standard USB ports.

I have not put them to use yet.

dezsoe What do you mean, " because wifi is unuseable in practice" ?

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Don,
    I mean, that if you have a UCxxxETH controller that communicates on ethernet, do not use it with wifi. (I mean, you have a wifi router and the tablet is connected to it via wifi, and the controller connects to the router via ethernet cable.) You can start up UCCNC, it finds the controller, but wifi is slow and unstable to keep the connection while working. Wifi is good for surfing the net, read mails etc., but not for controlling a machine. You must use a media converter, as I wrote before.

Downloads
    Uploads

I apologize for not following up on this. For anyone who is interested, I bought a $140 Z8350 10" tablet with Windows 10. The only issue is the touchscreen keyboard covers up 1/3 of the screen, and my clumsy fingers struggle to touch in the right spot. That said, UCCNC runs smoothly using the UC100 motion controller. Most of my interactions are with an X360 controller, so I can live with the interface issues. I can always add a keyboard. But for now I have it mounted on a wall, and I would have to make some kind of tray for the keyboard.

So the takeaway is that YES a cheap Windows tablet works just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro